Counting Calories Does NOT work for me mentally

Options
13»

Replies

• stardivap413
    Options
    I agree that timing has a lot to do with it. It's a roller coaster for me. Sometimes I'm really good about keeping track, planning my day in advance and trying to stick to it. Other days not so much. A friend mentioned that she had fallen off the wagon the other day. I decided that the wagon needs seatbelts. :-) It's not easy. It's a huge lifestyle change for most of us, I think.
    I don't think you're crazy for preferring WW. If it works better for you, then that says a lot. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

I love it, the wagon needs seatbelts!!
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am on weight watchers but I log on here because my doctor wants me on a 1500 calorie plan. I changed my settings to show fat, carb, fiber and protein and I can use my calculator to see if it is matching up to the points. I love WW for the structure and meetings and I love MFP for the additional support and the GREAT food database. Good Luck to you!!
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, do what works for you. But my only question/concern with WW...is that something you're willing to pay for, for the rest of your life, since you mentioned you already had problems last time you stopped it? With MFP I'm learning portion sizes and making better choices, and hopefully will be able to step back from here after I reach my goal weight (whatever that ends up being!) but still be able to use what I learn. And if I ever need reinforcements this place will still be here for me to use. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There are apps for android and iPhone at least that track WW points plus. I used one for quite a while after I could no longer afford the meetings. Also there are groups or whatever in FB for WW. I like MFP better though because it helps me focus more on whole foods and my health than just counting points.

Having said that though, this weight loss journey and maintenance even is hard as heck, so do what works best for you! I know several people who actually do both quite successfully.
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    I Lost on Weight Watchers before, but didn't want to continue counting points. Now I am counting calories but haven't been losing as much as in Weight Watchers, but I am trying to control overeating and have made some postive changes I am happy with. Also the price is right! Good Luck!
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I began doing WW online again a little over a week ago and saw a 4 lb loss after a month long stall. There is no right or wrong answer...just finding what works or what you like. We are much more likely to stick to a plan that appeals to us. I still check in here daily though. I prefer the message boards here. You can have the best of both worlds.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    You could try counting points on your own first. If you buy a points calculator, and the dining out and food companion book, you can keep track of your points - plus the app Fooducate There is a free version and one that costs 3.99 - it has a scanner and gives WW point values. It would be a little more work counting points on MFP but is doable. If you do better paying for WW and going to meetings or do on line than do that. Whatever works for you. Personally, I like WW points program, but I like MFP web site better. I think WW needs to update Etools, but it is a heck of a lot easier tracking points on Etools than MFP. (you can adjust your settings in MFP recipe maker so you can figure out the points value of any recipe you enter too!). :drinker:

you are amazing, thanks for the helpful info. I am downlaoding the app now!!!

Also check the WW Site, if you sign up by 4/21 you either get a monthly pass free or if you do just the Etools, you get 1 month free of Etools at the end of a 3 months subscription. If you are thinking of doing either, you may want to do it by the 21st to take advantage of it.

Also friend me if you like I am WW'er at heart!
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I began doing WW online again a little over a week ago and saw a 4 lb loss after a month long stall. There is no right or wrong answer...just finding what works or what you like. We are much more likely to stick to a plan that appeals to us. I still check in here daily though. I prefer the message boards here. You can have the best of both worlds.

I'm happy for you! I bet you were pleased to see the scale change!! that helps me out a lot knowing that there is more than just a few of us who love WW and mfp
  • stardivap413
    Options
    Like others have said, do what works for you. But my only question/concern with WW...is that something you're willing to pay for, for the rest of your life, since you mentioned you already had problems last time you stopped it? With MFP I'm learning portion sizes and making better choices, and hopefully will be able to step back from here after I reach my goal weight (whatever that ends up being!) but still be able to use what I learn. And if I ever need reinforcements this place will still be here for me to use. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Yes, you make a great point. My goal is to become a lifetime member and as long as I can maintain my healthy weight, I can be a member for the rest of my life at no charge at all. That's a huge goal but I want it so bad
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I am on weight watchers but I log on here because my doctor wants me on a 1500 calorie plan. I changed my settings to show fat, carb, fiber and protein and I can use my calculator to see if it is matching up to the points. I love WW for the structure and meetings and I love MFP for the additional support and the GREAT food database. Good Luck to you!!

that is really good you have found a balance between the two!!! Thanks or your kind words and best of luck to you also!
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I'm glad to see all the positive responses you got. It's so common for people to find what works for them and then try to convert everyone else to their way of doing it. Weight loss and fitness is highly individualized and no one thing seems to work for everyone.

IKR! I was pretty stocked to see everyone supporting my decision!!!!! I am happy to see them offering advice rather than telling me not to do it.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with my weight for a few years now. I started off with Weight Watchers and I did very well back in 2010 until I thought I could save money by doing it on my own, and I fell off the wagon. Since then I found MFP on my phone. It was great at first, but I was not really dedicated to it. I was annoyed by the fact that I had to count calories, but I loved the fact that it's free, I made lots of friends, and I could keep track of my nutrition. I've never really been faithful to this site, but trying very hard to eat under my calorie goal. I admit, I am an overeater, I do this a lot!

There is something about WW. the fact that I get to reward myself each week by getting extra points makes me want to follow it. the fact that I have 5 free fruits/veggie servings per day that I get to eat motivates me into thinking that I will be healthier. Do I sound crazy that I'd rather spend money and enter foods into a database based on four things (carb, fat, protein, fiber) rather than one thing on here for free (calories)?

I don't want to leave mfp, but my lack of motivation by having to count calories is really something I need to change. I love this site, I love my friends, but I think that WW really does work for me. I feel it's the only thing that works for me. Anyone else feel this way or is this just crazy old me being silly?

Just wanting some opinions, suggestions, etc

I have about 90 lbs to lose and keep off.

I have never used the WW site online, but the way I use MFP isn't just counting Calories, it is actually balancing the things you mentioned - fat, carbs, Protein.

My goals are set at 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.

I try to plan everything the day before.

Today, I was having a cheese and ham omelette for lunch - then, rather than look at how many calories I have left, I look at what I need to eat to hit my macros.Carbs were low so I chose pasta & Tomato sauce for dinner.

other days, if fats are low I add nuts etc,

If you can hit all your macros, you will automatically hit your calories.

It's a bit like having a daily puzzle to complete :)

Hope WW works out for you. :)