Dissapointed in myself

SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
So I'm in a unique situation. Most people on here are trying to lose weight. Well, I've been there, I started at 235, and with MFP over about a year and a half, I dropped about 55 lbs, went down from about 20 % body fat to where I am now, about 10%, and have lowered all my bad blood numbers a ton, while increasing my overall health and athleticism. And I'm psyched about all of that!!!!

BUT

I'm now (and have been for the last 5 months or so) been trying to gain weight, I'm 6'2" and I weigh anywhere from 178 to 182, depending on the day/week/tod...etc. But I want to be 8% body fat and 190 lbs. That is my perfect body.

I know all this, I know EXACTLY what it takes to get there, and for the exercise part of it, I am succeeding in doing it. I work out 45 minutes a day, and mix extremely high intensity work with weight training and some moderate to high cardio for 6 days a week.

My problem is, after 18 months of reduced calories, I find it hard to hit the calorie numbers I need per day. I know intellectually that you can't really gain muscle mass while in caloric deficit, I understand the whys and hows of doing so, but I never found anything so hard as trying to eat 3400 calories a day, when I, for so long, was eating between 2200 and 2600 a day. Trying to find that extra 800 calories of good, solid food is TOUGH and EXPENSIVE (that's an extra 6300 cals a week, which in $$ terms is somewhere around an extra 30 to 50 bucks a week which my wife doesn't like hearing).

Anyone else have this type of issue? I struggle, and almost always make it to 3000 cals, so I'm not LOOSING any more weight (thank the powers that be!), but I kinda stall at 3000, thinking and thinking, but not coming up with more stuff to eat.

This is basically just a rant at myself! Iknow HOW to eat more, I know that nuts and lean protein, and cheese, and some extra whole grain snacks, and an extra serving of fruits and veggies will get me there, it's easy to say, but trust me, this part is WAAAAY harder for me then the losing was!

I know I know, woe is me. But see? Even those of us who have gained lots of knowledge and understanding struggle with this stuff sometimes!

Replies

• msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    A friend of mine who is 6'7 and really into building muscle (and very lean too) drinks protien drinks to add those extra (good) calories. I like the powder you mix yourself, as the premixed (while convenient) can be pricey. It is a quick way to grab a couple of healthy 100+ calories.
    I remember an interview with Hilary Swank talking about training/diet for her role in "Million Dollar Baby" and she said she put on something like 20 lbs of muscle by drinking protien drinks. Even getting up in the middle of the night for one! Not that you need to go to that extreme!

Banks, I love that even with all the advice you've given you're still looking for answers!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Man am I glad to see you post a question instead of an answer:laugh: I don't know anything about TRYING to gain weight but is there some sort of supplement or shake or something you can use? This sounds kinda dumb but when my father-in-law was way down on weight and trying to gain but not wanting to eat, they put him on Ensure shakes. I know it helped him. Is there something like that you could use even temporarily?
  • SHBoss1673
    A friend of mine who is 6'7 and really into building muscle (and very lean too) drinks protien drinks to add those extra (good) calories. I like the powder you mix yourself, as the premixed (while convenient) can be pricey. It is a quick way to grab a couple of healthy 100+ calories.
    I remember an interview with Hilary Swank talking about training/diet for her role in "Million Dollar Baby" and she said she put on something like 20 lbs of muscle by drinking protien drinks. Even getting up in the middle of the night for one! Not that you need to go to that extreme!

Banks, I love that even with all the advice you've given you're still looking for answers!

Ha! it's when I stop you should be concerned, cuz I've either given up, or I'm dead!:tongue:

But yeah, I've been researching whey protein for the last week or so. It's very expensive though. Thinking about getting this one :
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060684&cp=2108294

cuz it's cheap and the nutrition numbers look good.

The problem is, for the amount I'd have to eat, to make a difference, I'm looking at 100 to 150 bucks a month extra. That's pretty steep!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    My husband is 6'6'' and has a hard time putting on weight. I have some recipes at home that he uses to get up in the calories without eating junk. I know that he has tried the weight gainer shakes, put didn't like them all that much. He eats a lot of french bread and cheese, smoothies with protein addition, and ice cream.

Sorry I don't have more to offer. As the wife, I can relate. However, health is important too.

Good Luck.
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Even though I am still on this weight loss journey, My husband is trying to maintain. He went from about 1500 calories to 2200. He still has trouble fitting in the extra 700. He continues to lose weight on some weeks and has yet to find the perfect balance. He usually eats a pretty light breakfast like around 350 calories, I pack his lunch daily so I try to load it up to about 600-700 calories so that when he gets home he isn't scrambling to eat another 1200 calories! It just makes me crazy since that is about my daily allotment (without exercise). I don't really have advice for you but thought that in the least I could offer support that you aren't the only one out there that finds it difficult to get in the calories. good luck to you!
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    I know you want to add the size while keeping it lean but that is very hard to do and takes a much longer period of time. This is why bodybuilders have bulk and cutting stages, to get the results in a shorter period for bulking you have to be able to accept a little less healthy eating and a adding a few points of body fat.

Of course how you are lifting is very important too (I'm know you already know this). Doing the same workout you were to lose weight isn't going to help you build size. I have 3 different workouts I'm always mixing up to keep my body guessing. The exercies are all essentially the same but I switch up reps vs weight.

Power ifting days: 3 sets of 10/8/6 reps while increasing the weight to failure for each set.
    Normal lifting days: Straight 3 sets of 10 reps
    Toning days: 3 sets of 15 reps with reduced weight

I've always felt proportionately my arms were too small compared to the rest of me. Mixing up my workouts like this I've been able to add 3/4" to my arms the last 6 weeks while still losing weight in other areas. Keep your body off balance for change.
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    BTW, for me, best bang for your buck when needing those extra calories is baked potatoes.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    so wait-- you're asking me how to gain weight?

Is this a trick question?

:noway:
  • SHBoss1673
    I know you want to add the size while keeping it lean but that is very hard to do and takes a much longer period of time. This is why bodybuilders have bulk and cutting stages, to get the results in a shorter period for bulking you have to be able to accept a little less healthy eating and a adding a few points of body fat.

Of course how you are lifting is very important too (I'm know you already know this). Doing the same workout you were to lose weight isn't going to help you build size. I have 3 different workouts I'm always mixing up to keep my body guessing. The exercies are all essentially the same but I switch up reps vs weight.

Power ifting days: 3 sets of 10/8/6 reps while increasing the weight to failure for each set.
    Normal lifting days: Straight 3 sets of 10 reps
    Toning days: 3 sets of 15 reps with reduced weight

I've always felt proportionately my arms were too small compared to the rest of me. Mixing up my workouts like this I've been able to add 3/4" to my arms the last 6 weeks while still losing weight in other areas. Keep your body off balance for change.

Yeah, I'm not really concerned with the exercise portion of it. I've been with good trainers my whole adult life (highschool and college football team, they give you strength trainers pretty much 10 months a year that essentially live in the gym and answer your every question), and my room mate after college was a trainer and bodybuilder too. And my wife's best friend is a former professional body builder and is currently an ACSM, NCSM, and ACE certified trainer (why she got all 3 I have no idea, any 1 of the 3 is enough credentials on it's own! She has too much time on her hands! :tongue: )

You're right though, there's a big difference between exercising to lose fat, and exercising anaerobically to gain muscle. And I have seen some great results in my upper body (my arms, chest and back are CUT UP). Just not a ton of mass, and my legs are still a tad scrawney, always have been, but I WILL fix that flaw!

It's something to keep in mind though, I really appreciate the tips. Thanks TJ!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    (my arms, chest and back are CUT UP).
    :love: pictures please:love:
  • SHBoss1673
    BTW, for me, best bang for your buck when needing those extra calories is baked potatoes.

Good call. I really should eat more of these. But my wife can't and it would be like torture to eat one in front of her (she's still in the losing phase), I gotta get some and bring em to work.
  • arewethereyet

Good call. I really should eat more of these. But my wife can't and it would be like torture to eat one in front of her (she's still in the losing phase), I gotta get some and bring em to work.

They can be nuked and add some good toppings.
    thanks, now I want a baker...........hmmmm one for lunch will be perfect:heart:
  • SHBoss1673
    (my arms, chest and back are CUT UP).
    :love: pictures please:love:

I haven't taken any from this quarter yet, the ones I have are like 3 months old. here:

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/Banks1850/me_march_2009/

My chest is better defined now, as is my biceps, triceps, and abs(and no comments on the hair, it was early in the morning)
  • arewethereyet

OOh wait, I just thought of of a topping. A guy I worked with was in training for a competition (he looked hideous to me, but whatchagonnado) He made balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. he had a salad with lots of veggies and a big baker in the middle, then would top is all with the dressing. Of couse he also had 3 chickens.......but lets not go there:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    honey, you are much too thin. Please eat a sammich!
    me_stick.jpg
  • SHBoss1673

OOh wait, I just thought of of a topping. A guy I worked with was in training for a competition (he looked hideous to me, but whatchagonnado) He made balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. he had a salad with lots of veggies and a big baker in the middle, then would top is all with the dressing. Of couse he also had 3 chickens.......but lets not go there:laugh:

Actually lite, olive oil vinagrette is AWESOME on a potato, and it's only about 60 calories per serving (really don't need more then one serving for a potato) little high in sodium (240 mg) but that's ok, I'm a big dude and drink a lot of water.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
  • SHBoss1673
    honey, you are much too thin. Please eat a sammich!
    me_stick.jpg

lol!

I love this one, I like how my arms and the line of my abs looks here. This is at Margaritaville in Negril!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/Banks1850/Jamaica2009/P2120159.jpg
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member

Ha! it's when I stop you should be concerned, cuz I've either given up, or I'm dead!:tongue:

But yeah, I've been researching whey protein for the last week or so. It's very expensive though. Thinking about getting this one :
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060684&cp=2108294

cuz it's cheap and the nutrition numbers look good.

The problem is, for the amount I'd have to eat, to make a difference, I'm looking at 100 to 150 bucks a month extra. That's pretty steep!

Thats the stuff that I just bought the other day! I tried a half a scoop of vanilla in my smoothie the other night and it wasn't bad. The person that sold it to me told me to stay away from the cookies and cream and the strawberry one. She said the taste wasn't the greatest. Just thought I would let ya know in case you do get it.
  • SHBoss1673
    Thats the stuff that I just bought the other day! I tried a half a scoop of vanilla in my smoothie the other night and it wasn't bad. The person that sold it to me told me to stay away from the cookies and cream and the strawberry one. She said the taste wasn't the greatest. Just thought I would let ya know in case you do get it.

Good to know! I was thinking about getting the cookies and cream, but maybe I'll just get the chocolate and vanilla ones to try first. THANKS!
This discussion has been closed.