The 4000 calorie vs 2000 calorie argument...:)

Options
I was talking to a friend about fitness, and he argued me up and down that 4000 calories is the "right" number of calories to eat in a day. I told him I believed a healthy amount for someone not trying to lose weight is around 2000. He acted like I was crazy, and said that eating 2000 would be starving yourself.

Now I agree that if you're highly active you can get by with eating 4000, but I believe for most people that is just to much.

He'd probably have a cow if he found out I was eating 1400. :P What do you think about this "factual information?"

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different.
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The only time I've seen 4000 + calorie diet is in professional athletes, I read somewhere on NBA website once about diets that some players burn up to 5 lbs in just one game, that's why they consume so many calories, I guess it depends on what they're doing. I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps eats like 12,000 a day!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Of course, there's no such thing as the "right" amount of calories, you're much closer to being right than he is.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Umm...my 15 year old nephew who's 6'3", 225lbs, and trains for sports 5 days/week probably eats 4k+ calories in a day. *I* on the other hand only burn about 3k calories, and that's only if I'm working out that day. So 2k doesn't sound unreasonable to me :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Of course, there's no such thing as the "right" amount of calories, you're much closer to being right than he is.

so you're saying she is a unique and beautiful snowflake??
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    there is a range of "right" and varies by person, bf%, activity level, age, etc.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well they're equally right/wrong.

Centuries of study and research undone by people plucking figures out of thin air and applying them to 7 billion individuals with different bodies, lives and goals.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    Well they're equally right/wrong.

Centuries of study and research undone by people plucking figures out of thin air and applying them to 7 billion individuals with different bodies, lives and goals.

Oh yes, I know that no certain amount of calories is right for everyone. I understand some people really do need to have 4000 plus calories a day for various reasons. I just think for sedentary- lightly active people the 4000 range would be to much if sustained over a long period of time.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    for sedentary- lightly active people the 4000 range would be to much if sustained over a long period of time.
    Depends on your starting weight. If you're over 400 lbs for example, you could conceivably lose weight at 4k calories a day for quite a long period of time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well 2k would be too much for the majority of people, taking into account the elderly, children and assuming 50% are female.

I think it's just best you don't talk to him about fitness or diet anymore.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Nutrition labels on American food products are designed for a 2,000 calorie diet. While everyone is a unique snowflake, the average adult American snowflake has a daily food requirement of about 2,000 calories.

ucm063353.gif
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs: . . .

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/ucm063113.htm
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I eat 1350, he'd probably have a stroke if he knew that. But I can see someone who is a pro athlete needing that many a day. Depends on the person and their body.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Both of you are wrong.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options

so you're saying she is a unique and beautiful snowflake??

Nope, I'm not at all. I'm just an ordinary kind of girl with a measly opinion. One that may be right or wrong! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    2000 is considered for an athlete maintaining their weight. So yeah, 4000 is ridiculous. My maintenance will probably be close to 2000 since when I workout, I eat about 1800-1900 calories. But that's before exercise calories (the 2000 for maintenance).

My base is 1530 and then I typically burn about 400-450 calories per day. Hope this helps you win your argument, lol!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I spent a long time eating 4000 calories. I had to come here to fix that.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    for sedentary- lightly active people the 4000 range would be to much if sustained over a long period of time.
    Depends on your starting weight. If you're over 400 lbs for example, you could conceivably lose weight at 4k calories a day for quite a long period of time.

True! I didn't think about that! Thanks. :)
  • ajwade123
    ajwade123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but 2000 is the average. I don't think there is any way for someone to eat 4000 cal a day without gaining weight. All food labeling is based on a 2000 cal/day diet.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I would gain weight like crazy if I ate 4000 a day. I'm a small person, so on a day when I don't work out even 2000 is pushing it (1800 is better for me I think).

Sure, if you're bigger, have a lot of muscle, or are really active 4000 is fine, but for most people that's way too much. It seems like he just arbitrarily picked a number.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. Personally, I eat about 2,100 calories a day, but I am sure there are people out there that need more calories.