The 4000 calorie vs 2000 calorie argument...:)

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would weigh 500 pounds if I ate that much. Plus, it would be very difficult for me to eat that much food!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There is 3500 calories in one pound of body fat, 4000 is ridiculous. 2000 is more appropriate for a active person.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I spent a long time eating 4000 calories. I had to come here to fix that.

LOL... Me too!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

For a large active person with lots of muscle, 2k would be totally insufficient. For a totally inactive small person with low muscle and high fat 2000 would be weight gain territory.

4k is not ridiculous. if I could figure out a way to pay my mortgage without sitting at a computer 8 hours a day I could totally eat 3k and not gain weight. My husband is 8 inches taller than me (6'2"), if he had my muscle mass *Rawr* and wasn't so inactive he could easily eat 4k and not gain.

*edit* PS: I think you are more right than him, on average I think most people come out to maintaining around 1800-2500 calories a day.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wish I could eat 4000 calories a day...grr, lol! Again, though, like others have said people vary so much in their caloric needs. I top out around between 1800-2000 a day and I guess it's an okay amount for me. I see your point though and I don't know why a sedentary adult would need 4,000 cals a day, that seems like a huge amount for average people that really have no physical activity :-/
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Well they're equally right/wrong.

Centuries of study and research undone by people plucking figures out of thin air and applying them to 7 billion individuals with different bodies, lives and goals.

Oh yes, I know that no certain amount of calories is right for everyone. I understand some people really do need to have 4000 plus calories a day for various reasons. I just think for sedentary- lightly active people the 4000 range would be to much if sustained over a long period of time.

Not necessarily. My starting BMR was just under 4k because of my height and weight. Now my resting, no work out days still burn around 3300.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The only time I've seen 4000 + calorie diet is in professional athletes, I read somewhere on NBA website once about diets that some players burn up to 5 lbs in just one game, that's why they consume so many calories, I guess it depends on what they're doing. I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps eats like 12,000 a day!

Michael Phelps eats 12,000 because he's high
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3, 220lb, and today I ate 4213kcal, and was under my calorie goal.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    The "average" woman is meant to consume 2000 a day (including all activity - and on an active day I definitely eat that)

The "average" man can eat 2500-3000 and not gain weight.

4000 for most, is a surplus.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Did the same plan, minus the swimming.
  • eemielwy
    eemielwy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", 273 lbs. Gained 30 lbs while on light activity level due to prolonged illness. I'm back to losing at 1650/day without exercise. Can't wait until the doc releases me back to moderate activity level. Fatty misses the gym!
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    Ok, so obviously a lot of things come into play here when determining the "right" number of calories for one person. Sorry, if this insulted anyone that does eat 4000. If you can eat 4000 calories a day and lose weight (or maintain), that's great! Heck, I wish I could do that!
  • Quasita
    Options
    Ok, so obviously a lot of things come into play here when determining the "right" number of calories for one person. Sorry, if this insulted anyone that does eat 4000. If you can eat 4000 calories a day and lose weight (or maintain), that's great! Heck, I wish I could do that!

I'm not offended or anything, I was just stating that those of us that exceed 6 foot have higher than 3k BMRs fairly often, and if you weighed over 500 pounds as well as being over 6 foot, you could be sedentary and still require 4k to maintain.

My weightloss was stalled and I was diagnosed anorexic eating 1600 a day, I had to double my intake before I started losing consistently.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Both of you are wrong.

QFT
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Did the same plan, minus the swimming.

was that plan consumed in the VW in your ticker?? haha

Good to see you on a new plan!! Great Job on the weight loss!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The recommended amount for an adult woman to maintain is 2000. 2500 for a man.
    Obviously, everybody is different. The more you weigh, you more you need. Also, the more muscle mass you have, the more you need. 4000 though is a crazy amount for probably most people, apart from those who have very hectic / active lifestyles (althletes)

I myself was losing on around 2000 net, but I've recently dropped that to 1800 net as things started slowing down. While I like my food and it's a challenge adjusting to it, I am hardly starving myself!!

Also, if 4000 is great for everyone, how come I was gaining successfully last year on 2800 net (2800-3500 total) I gained 16lbs in 6 months.
    My bf is currently logging his food on here, trying to gain weight by eating 4000 total a day. His lifestyle / job is quite active, and he trains around 4x a week at the gym. If this wasn't the case, he wouldn't need as much.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    OP, was your friend just trying to wind you up???? Or (sudden recall...) had he heard and misremembered the WHO figure of 1400 (fourteen hundred v. Forty hundred) as the minimum healthy intake?

2000kcal is a diet for me, though mfp doesn't think it should be :laugh:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I can burn anywhere from 3000 to almost 6000 ( I have a body media fit, it's supposed to be 90% accurate ), but in the last 21 days I have averaged about 4500 TDEE, as long as I average around 4000 calories I will lose weight. I have a very active job, generally 11 hours a day on my feet.
  • Quasita
    Options
    I can burn anywhere from 3000 to almost 6000 ( I have a body media fit, it's supposed to be 90% accurate ), but in the last 21 days I have averaged about 4500 TDEE, as long as I average around 4000 calories I will lose weight. I have a very active job, generally 11 hours a day on my feet.

BMF for the win! I have a Link, and after having it for a couple weeks, I sincerely suggest it to anyone still shopping for something, it's been very helpful and informative!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I use to be a 160 lb. 6' tall, healthy athletic type, I gained over 100 lbs. after marriage... I have NEVER ate 4000 cal. in a day. The guy is cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Not even professional athletes should eat that kind of amount every day.