Beachbody program HELP!

Options
Hello! I am currently not doing much strength training.. Sad, I know. I don't have access to a gym right now, but I am planning on ordering one of the BB programs. I've heard great things about chaLean eXtreme, but I'm planning on having my husband join me, and he's convinced he's too macho to do a dvd from a woman. So... I'm debating between p90x and les mills body pump. I have three kids under four, husband and I are both full-time students, so, obviously time is a hot commodity in my house! Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• randall774
    Options
    insanitys better in many peoples view than p90x.

you will need dumbells for both workouts though, but those are cheap enough.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    None of those programs are what I would consider “strength training”, but Chalean Extreme probably comes the closest. I’d join a gym or invest in some better lifting equipment though, and skip these dvds. Check out the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women (which is a program men can do too), or something like StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing an Insanity/ChaLean Extreme (CLX) hybrid and I can tell you that CLX is no joke - there is a guy in each video that does the same exercises, just with much more weight. There are lists available online of what the exercises are - maybe previewing that with your husband will change his mind. The first few weeks incorporate more full-body type of moves (use upper and lower together) and the ab workout is killer. Most of the workouts are under an hour; a few of them closer to 30 minutes.

P90X is great but the workouts are long so I think that'll be tough for you.

I don't know anything about Body Pump workouts so can't offer advice there. Good luck in your choice though!
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have heard of the NROL for women. I guess I'm just a little nervous about it. Also, I guess I technically do have access to the facilities on campus, but I already feel like the only awkward college student with kids. *sigh*
  • randall774
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 is a strength program for bulking, not for getting a beach body
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I prefer Insanity. It is only 35-45 mins for the first month and 50-60 mins the 2nd month and you do not need any equipment at all.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

This is not true at all.

After doing Chalean Extreme, some of NROL, and now StrongLifts, I can tell you that although most of the exercises in CLX are pretty fun and challenging, they aren't really full-body compound lifts. I can't tell you how different a squat with dumbbells is from a barbell squat. SO different. StrongLifts so far has been my favorite.

There is a StrongLifts 5x5 group on here for women if you are interested in learning more about the program: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am currently not doing much strength training.. Sad, I know. I don't have access to a gym right now, but I am planning on ordering one of the BB programs. I've heard great things about chaLean eXtreme, but I'm planning on having my husband join me, and he's convinced he's too macho to do a dvd from a woman. So... I'm debating between p90x and les mills body pump. I have three kids under four, husband and I are both full-time students, so, obviously time is a hot commodity in my house! Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

None of Beachbody's programs have anything to do with strength training.
  • randall774
    Options

This is not true at all.

After doing Chalean Extreme, some of NROL, and now StrongLifts, I can tell you that althoughmost of the exercises in CLX are pretty fun and challenging, they aren't really full-body compound lifts. I can't tell you how different a squat with dumbbells is from a barbell squat. SO different. StrongLifts so far has been my favorite.

ive no idea what Chalean Extreme or NROL is tbh. but i do know alot about 5x5 programs as i use them every Autum/winter during my bulking phase. I can tell you that in order for a 5x5 program to work, you need to be in a calorific excess as the point of the program is to build strength and muscle. without the cal excess you wont have the nutrition for build the muscle.
    if you want a lean beach body you dont want to be in a calorific excess and using a 5x5 program cause this will result in some inevitable fat gain.
    things like a High rep/low weight routine, Circuit training or HIIT combined with a calorific deficit is better to shred the excess fat and get a lean beach body imo.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do the Les Mills Pump from beach body and I love it. It IS strength training. My husband does it with me as well. It is as intense as you want it to be. I have just upped my weights in every track by 5 lbs and I can really tell a difference. The program comes with a barbell and weights, you would need to get another bar if your husband wants to join, but you can order a set that isn't too expensive. I highly recommend Body Pump to everyone!!! I used to take the classes as well and the DVDs are just as good!
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

This is not true at all.

After doing Chalean Extreme, some of NROL, and now StrongLifts, I can tell you that althoughmost of the exercises in CLX are pretty fun and challenging, they aren't really full-body compound lifts. I can't tell you how different a squat with dumbbells is from a barbell squat. SO different. StrongLifts so far has been my favorite.

ive no idea what Chalean Extreme or NROL is tbh. but i do know alot about 5x5 programs as i use them every Autum/winter during my bulking phase. I can tell you that in order for a 5x5 program to work, you need to be in a calorific excess as the point of the program is to build strength and muscle. without the cal excess you wont have the nutrition for build the muscle.
    if you want a lean beach body you dont want to be in a calorific excess and using a 5x5 program cause this will result in some inevitable fat gain.
    things like a High rep/low weight routine, Circuit training or HIIT combined with a calorific deficit is better to shred the excess fat and get a lean beach body imo.

And you can build strength and maintain the lean muscle you have by strength training (high weight, low rep). Building strength does not necessarily mean you will build muscle. As long as one eats at a moderate calorie deficit they will still lose weight.
  • cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing P90X and my hubby is doing Pump. Both programs are fabulous, but you will need weights with P90x. The great thing about Pump is the weights come with it unless you and hubby want to do it together. If time is an issue go with Pump because P90x is 60 min or longer every night. Pump is 20-40 min depending on which DVD you do! Insanity is also fabulous and you use your own body weight! Good Luck!
  • wheezybreezy
    Options
    I do the Les Mills Pump from beach body and I love it. It IS strength training. My husband does it with me as well. It is as intense as you want it to be. I have just upped my weights in every track by 5 lbs and I can really tell a difference. The program comes with a barbell and weights, you would need to get another bar if your husband wants to join, but you can order a set that isn't too expensive. I highly recommend Body Pump to everyone!!! I used to take the classes as well and the DVDs are just as good!

Thank you!
  • randall774
    Options
    think we may have to agree to disagree on this.:wink:

low reps high wieghts are for building strength which requires strengthening the muscle fibres...ie building and conditioning the muscle. doin this without a calorific excess is pointless.

high reps low weight will shred the fat and condition/tone the existing muscle when done in a calorific deficit.
  • wheezybreezy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and input. And I'm not aiming for a beachbody lol, it's just the company that releases these products. I'm not sure what my goals SHOULD be. I know I want to get stronger, I know I want to build muscle, and obviously, I want to lose weight.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

Body Pump builds muscular endurance with a high rep/low weight technique, which they have so cleverly marketed as "THE REP EFFECT". You are not building much strength by doing this, just the ability to lift the same amount of weight for longer, if that makes sense. It comes with two 5 lb weights and two 10 lb weights. Would you rather do 100 reps while lifting (holding, really) 10 lbs or 5 reps while lifting 150 lbs? And increase weight as you go rather than reps? Seems like one is a way more efficient use of your time and much more effective when you think about what increasing "strength" really means.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

low reps high wieghts are for building strength which requires strengthening the muscle fibres...ie building and conditioning the muscle. doin this without a calorific excess is pointless.

high reps low weight will shred the fat and condition/tone the existing muscle when done in a calorific deficit.

I don't think there is an agree to disagree with facts.
  • randall774
    Options
    And I'm not aiming for a beachbody lol,

should of said this at the start. would of avoided the debate. :laugh: :wink:
  • randall774
    Options

I don't think there is an agree to disagree with facts.

i agree :tongue:
  • wheezybreezy
    Options

Body Pump builds muscular endurance with a high rep/low weight technique, which they have so cleverly marketed as "THE REP EFFECT". You are not building much strength by doing this, just the ability to lift the same amount of weight for longer, if that makes sense. It comes with two 5 lb weights and two 10 lb weights. Would you rather do 100 reps while lifting (holding, really) 10 lbs or 5 reps while lifting 150 lbs? And increase weight as you go rather than reps? Seems like one is a way more efficient use of your time and much more effective when you think about what increasing "strength" really means.

this makes sense actually!