Beachbody program HELP!

Options

Replies

• JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options

high reps low weight will shred the fat and condition/tone the existing muscle when done in a calorific deficit.

strong broscience
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity a couple times. It's definitely high intensity cardio, but it takes a LOT of strength (both upper and lower body). I've had my hubby, brother, and my mom all do it. So it can be modified if need be (like for my mom). I had done it all the way thru once before. When hubby and bro joined, they couldn't believe how hard it was. I was very pleased with my results. You definitely get stronger, are able to last longer, go farther, and you feel like a beast when it's over! I loved it. :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    so you lot are tellin me that its possible to gain muscle whilst in a calorific deficit????

No what we're telling you is that you don't have to eat a calorie surplus to gain STRENGTH. There's a difference bro.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Crap, we kind of derailed the OP's question - if your only options are p90x or bodypump, I dunno, do either. If you can get chalean extreme instead, I'd probably get that.

Randall - yes if you are a beginner with some extra fat to lose, or returning from a long hiatus (crap someone find me the link) but ALSO I did not in ANY way say I was adding muscle in a deficit, I said I was able to complete a 5x5 program with progressively heavy weights in a deficit.

I imagine I will top out at a lower weight than I would if I was bulking although in my particular case I'm already bulky as hell so maybe not. Its wrong to imply that someone can't get STRONGER without bulking. STRONGER is different from MORE MUSCLE MASS.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    so you lot are tellin me that its possible to gain muscle whilst in a calorific deficit????

Newbie gains maybe, but no.
    We are saying you are more likely to retain muscle mass in a calorie deficit with low reps high weight.
  • randall774
    Options
    [/quote]

dunno I'd probably call him 99% wrong? Half is generous. How exactly am I going to bulk doing a 5x5 program and not eating a surplus? Oh and if the answer is that you just can't DO 5x5 without eating a surplus then I am apparently using some kind of magical non-muscle related power to do so because on Sat I did 5x5 135lb squats with no problem.
    [/quote]

I never said you would bulk on a 5x5 in a deficit. I said you wouldnt hence my point that a low intensity 5x5 program isnt worth doin in a deficit cause the gains are going to be minimal.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

In most situations, no. If you are new or haven't exercised in a long time, maybe, but only briefly.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Oh no. Here we go.

Who want some popcorn?
  • amccord2
    amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do the Les Mills Pump from beach body and I love it. It IS strength training. My husband does it with me as well. It is as intense as you want it to be. I have just upped my weights in every track by 5 lbs and I can really tell a difference. The program comes with a barbell and weights, you would need to get another bar if your husband wants to join, but you can order a set that isn't too expensive. I highly recommend Body Pump to everyone!!! I used to take the classes as well and the DVDs are just as good!

LIKE!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    think we may have to agree to disagree on this.:wink:

low reps high wieghts are for building strength which requires strengthening the muscle fibres...ie building and conditioning the muscle. doin this without a calorific excess is pointless.

high reps low weight will shred the fat and condition/tone the existing muscle when done in a calorific deficit.

The experiences of scores of women (and men) show that there IS a point to this. As you are actually unfamiliar with New Rules of Lifting for Women and other programs, I'd suggest that you just accept the fact that you might not know about THIS.

OP, check out the Stronglifts group already mentioned or the New Rules group (which is what I'm doing, low rep heavy weight, hot *kitten* body in progress). If time is an issue, you'll probably do better with Stronglifts than New Rules, and Stronglifts is free on the internet, while New Rules is a book.

To any woman considering weights: don't listen to the bros that tell you to do light weights and high reps. They don't know what they're talking about.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 is a strength program for bulking, not for getting a beach body

You are right you know. Who would think that muscles are not attractive or who would think that muscles and beach could ever go hand in hand. Idiocracy I tell you!
  • randall774
    Options
    sorry guys...

...your NEVER gona convince me that a 5x5 is worth the effort in a defict.

if i use a 5x5 i want to see gains not maintain.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    sorry guys...

Ok so please explain what routine IS worth the effort then?

(you do understand that it's best to lift HEAVY and do COMPOUND lifts even while in a calorie deficit to retain a good amount of LBM?)

Hint: Even Lyle McDonald suggests this...
  • randall774
    Options

You are right you know. Who would think that muscles are not attractive or who would think that muscles and beach could ever go hand in hand. Idiocracy I tell you!

being bulky and being muscular are two different things.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I have heard of the NROL for women. I guess I'm just a little nervous about it. Also, I guess I technically do have access to the facilities on campus, but I already feel like the only awkward college student with kids. *sigh*

I totally understand this! I also felt awkward at the campus facility, but for different reasons. I'm a 35 year old fat lady and it was weird and scary at first working out with the hot 20-somethings.

But it's the best thing I've done in a long long time. I've never felt better. I'm stronger and healthier than I've been in 15 years. I just had to push past the awkward stage, but it was soooooooooo worth it.

I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women too. My routine has morphed a bit... but it's still mostly NROLW stage 1. It's really great.

And don't listen to the people who say you're gonna bulk. You won't bulk. You'll gain strength and feel awesome. You'll look awesome too. I haven't bulked. I don't know of any female who has.

I think one of the best part is the unexpected benefits... I have much better endurance for things like hiking up mountains. I had no idea strength training could improve my cardio health too! But it has. I don't sound like a freight train anymore going up those hills. And I can hike for hours now.

P.S. You're probably NOT the only college student with kids, for the record. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    sorry guys...

If you want to see gains in muscle, why use 5x5 (a strength program) vs a hypertrophy program?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    sorry guys...

Maybe YOU can't gain strength without gaining muscle mass. I'm not one to argue against other people's experiences.

Me though in the last nearly 6 months? My squat increasing by 500% over 6 months, my lat pull-downs by 300%, my push-ups going from incline with my head up to incline with my feet up all while losing inches in various locations suggests that perhaps there's a badass ability you haven't tapped into, bro.

I'll grant you my strength gains would have been more if I were eating ungodly amounts of calories and hitting certain supplements hard, but my strength gains please me enough. I'm also pleased that my pants are getting looser over time while my lifts are getting stronger.
  • randall774
    Options
    all im saying is a higher intensity workout is more benificial at cutting up for the beach than a 5x5 program.

my routine is based on compounds. if i do do any isolations, it'll be in a superset, ie i'll do clean n press/bicep curls ss.

right now (my gettin ready for the beach phase), im doing 100's....trainning to failiure on a lower weight (not too low mind) for 100 reps with sprints inbetween.

for me, at this time of year its about getting the bf down to uncover the lean muscle (i hope) iv gained over the winter.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

This is not true at all.

After doing Chalean Extreme, some of NROL, and now StrongLifts, I can tell you that althoughmost of the exercises in CLX are pretty fun and challenging, they aren't really full-body compound lifts. I can't tell you how different a squat with dumbbells is from a barbell squat. SO different. StrongLifts so far has been my favorite.

ive no idea what Chalean Extreme or NROL is tbh. but i do know alot about 5x5 programs as i use them every Autum/winter during my bulking phase. I can tell you that in order for a 5x5 program to work, you need to be in a calorific excess as the point of the program is to build strength and muscle. without the cal excess you wont have the nutrition for build the muscle.
    if you want a lean beach body you dont want to be in a calorific excess and using a 5x5 program cause this will result in some inevitable fat gain.
    things like a High rep/low weight routine, Circuit training or HIIT combined with a calorific deficit is better to shred the excess fat and get a lean beach body imo.

Sorry but part of NROL has phases of it's workout, Hypertrophy 1&2 built on a 5x5. I am in a deficit and have pretty much stayed at my weight and gained both strength and muscle size while under a 400-600cal deficit a day.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Pancakes are an integral part of getting my calories in while doing a 5x5 program.