Good carbs vs.bad carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Study up on glycemic index. There are carbs that are high on the glycemic index scale that will peak your insulin production and cause you to be hungry (bad carbs) and carbs that are low on the scale and do not generally cause hunger. You want to stay on the low side. Bananas are high and strawberries low. Sugar is high, obviously. So go online and read about glycemic index and find a good glycemic scale that has every carb on it.
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    @Elizabeth_c34 - Lol!

You see this is erronous. Glycemic index is nonsense
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    No wonder many of you guys struggle!

You do know that milk is supposed to turn a calf into a 1000lb cow? what do you think that does to the Human body?

On top of this you're eating sweeteners ( which provide no satiety ) to one of the highest fat grains ( oatmeal 14%-20% fat )....

Of course you are going to 'need coffee' to function properly, no body can function normally on such a diet.

Milk provides my body with calcium to build healthy bones and teeth. It helps maintain bone mass. It gives me protein which serves as a source of energy and builds/repairs muscle tissue. It gives me potassium which helps maintain a healthy blood pressure. It gives me phosphorus which helps strengthen bones and generate energy. It gives me Vitamin D which helps maintain bones. It gives me Vitamin B12 which maintains healthy red blood cells and nerve tissue. It gives me Vitamin A which maintains the immune system and helps maintain normal vision and skin. It gives me Riboflavin (B2) which converts food into energy. Finally, it gives me niacin which metabolizes sugars and fatty acids.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    @Elizabeth_c34 - Lol!

And i'll agree with you there, GI index is pointless other then those with diabetes
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    @Jorra

The calcium bioavailbility is low in milk.....In fact, the bio-availability of calcium is higher in Broccoli. It isn't really how much calcium you eat, but how much you absorb....

Also the protein content of the milk actually affects the calcium balance, with it being more acidic, so overall can actually cause a CALCIUM lost.

Why do you think fracture rates in the US have gone up, while the intake of dairy has also risen?

There is absolutely no Human requirement for Cows milk... We have teeth, to eat food.. when we were babies, that's when we need our parents breast milk.

Oh and on the Vitamin A... it may also be important to know that retinol is high doses is toxic, while Beta-Carotene which is later turned into retinol can be taken in unlimited quantities ( green vegetables, carrots etc )... Nothing in milk that cannot be sourced from real Human food.
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    @Elizabeth_c34 - Lol!

And i'll agree with you there, GI index is pointless other then those with diabetes

Thank you very much, lol.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    No wonder many of you guys struggle!

You do know that milk is supposed to turn a calf into a 1000lb cow? what do you think that does to the Human body?

On top of this you're eating sweeteners ( which provide no satiety ) to one of the highest fat grains ( oatmeal 14%-20% fat )....

Of course you are going to 'need coffee' to function properly, no body can function normally on such a diet.

At first I was like :huh:, but then I was :laugh: . Troll hard.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on dissing NATURAL things that throughout the history humans and our healthy ancestors have been consuming but all of a sudden when we got educated we're like "no, those things were bad for them and is bad for us too"...

This is just me but eat fruits, drink coffee (in moderation ofcourse and drink lots of water since I believe it kinda soaks up the water out of your body, somebody else can better explain it), eat nuts and live happy...

I personally dont like soy products mainly because to me its not natural (no soy breasts...no soy milk :) but I dont think its bad for you so knock yourself out :)

And yes, there is such a thing as good carbs and bad carbs, along with good sugar and bad sugar. Processed sugar that goes into those delicious cheesecake: Bad. Sugar from fruits: GOOD! White rice carbs: Bad (although alot more tastier :) Brown Rice carbs: Good!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Coffee has been shown to raise cholesterol, blood pressure and risk of heart disease.. You should really look into studies that aren't funded by the coffee companies ( biased sources ). Tea is less harmful and does have some benefits, particularly green tea.

Green vegetables don't taste revolting usually and is irrelevant ( try eating a lettuce leaf vs a few coffee beans).. although some have anti-nutrients which can be problematic so should be cooked to lower the levels, which include Broccoli, Spinach, Kale and Brussel Sprouts... However, a small amount raw is O.K.

If you need a drink made out of some beans to make yourself feel good, then that seriously indicates something is wrong.. If you get rid of these addictions, you will feel much more free and energetic.. Of course at first you may feel bad, because coffee has been giving you an artifical sense of alertness.

Ok seriously, whose troll account is this? No legitimate human being with a pulse would utter such nonsense and actually believe it. Oh wait...teenage boy.......there's my answer.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Why do people insist on dissing NATURAL things that throughout the history humans and our healthy ancestors have been consuming but all of a sudden when we got educated we're like "no, those things were bad for them and is bad for us too"...

This is just me but eat fruits, drink coffee (in moderation ofcourse and drink lots of water since I believe it kinda soaks up the water out of your body, somebody else can better explain it), eat nuts and live happy...

I personally dont like soy products mainly because to me its not natural (no soy breasts...no soy milk :) but I dont think its bad for you so knock yourself out :)

And yes, there is such a thing as good carbs and bad carbs, along with good sugar and bad sugar. Processed sugar that goes into those delicious cheesecake: Bad. Sugar from fruits: GOOD! White rice carbs: Bad (although alot more tastier :) Brown Rice carbs: Good!

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    I am here to learn and share information just like you.

I do not know why you feel the need to divert the subject and turn it into a joke. It is clear that when our bad habits are confronted, it does seem to provoke defense mechanisms. I will accept that dude.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

I'm sorry English is my 4th language and sometimes things dont make sense to me easily. Am I summarizing correctly by saying that brown rice vs. white rice, there was nothing bad about white rice in terms of carbs and such? And the only negetive white rice has is that it takes away some nutrition that brown rice keep? If thats the case, then whats with the complex carbs argument that I've read my entire life?
  • Acg67
    Options

I do not know why you feel the need to divert the subject and turn it into a joke. It is clear that when our bad habits are confronted, it does seem to provoke defense mechanisms. I will accept that dude.

Who are you talking to?
  • thegrainmaster
    Options

That would be due to the phytic acid present in the wholegrain form of rice, which is lowered by soaking and cooking, it isn't really a problem. Nuts and seeds have much higher concentrations of these anti-nutrients and are often eaten raw... or roasted which still isn't proper preparation.

If you look at the 'lower protein bio-availability' you will see the amount is very small.

Even if the nutrient absorption was compromised in brown rice, the total amount would still be creater than white rice, because white rice didn't have significant amounts of those micronutrients anyway... Get it?

However, I'm not dissing white rice... I believe it can be a excellent food in the diet, but only consumed with other foods... It is quite a good source of selenium.. It is also more easy to cook when busy!
  • thegrainmaster
    Options

Who are you talking to?

Not you, the other guy who randomly popped up.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try upgrading your coffee. Better quality coffee tastes good without sugar. I love getting the Americano at Starbucks and it's good black.

This or agave syrup. It has 16 gms of carbs in 1 Tblsp but sweetness is 1.5 times of sugar, so I only use 1 tsp in my coffee. And it is low glycemic if that is of importance to you.
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    Try upgrading your coffee. Better quality coffee tastes good without sugar. I love getting the Americano at Starbucks and it's good black.

This or agave syrup. It has 16 gms of carbs in 1 Tblsp but sweetness is 1.5 times of sugar, so I only use 1 tsp in my coffee. And it is low glycemic if that is of importance to you.

AGAVE syrup is higher in fructose than HFCS..... It is not a health food!

It has a content of fructose that would be difficult to consume in whole, fresh fruit..

Maple syrup or brown sugar would be better... but even still, no sweetener is best for optimal health.

Even a snickers bar or chocolate cake has a lower GI than a Banana or Parsnips. Would you saying they're healthier because of the lower GI? And regarding insulin... cheese and meat raise insulin even more than white bread.