Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

need help kicking the soda..

13»

Replies

• ruerue623
    ruerue623 Posts: 16 Member
    So heres a little update on my soda and sweet tooth.... Stopped cold turkey on the sweets and soda. I drink about 1 gallon of water and I have fruits for my sweets... Thanks you guys for all your support and advice!!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 913 Member
    I cut out my diet coke habit and coffee habit about 6 weeks ago - I went cold turkey. Had terrible headaches for a few days and then I was good to go. I've tried to give them up before, but didn't ever succeed until I had real motivation. I have alot of dental issues and know the acidity (in the diet coke) and sugar (in the coffee) weren't helping - plus, I want to start a family soon and caffeine won't be a part of that. When I wanted to go back to it, I just thought of a future root canal or crown and that helped :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Why?
    Use a 90/10 rule!
    90% whole foods and 10% junk.
    Case solved!

I like you! That's exactly my philosophy. I have a treat (or 2, depending on the day and the size of the treat) every day. If it fits in my calories and I've eaten well otherwise, why the heck not? I'm within 2 pounds of my goal weight and I still drink diet soda (daily) eat chocolate (daily) and potato chips (almost daily) as well as other treats that I'm not about to give up.
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    I had a doctor tell me once to cut out the soda as it was leaching the calcium out of my bones. Diet Coke was like crack to me. I had to have it, that and Mt. Dew. Now when I really want a soda, I have a Sprite. I have to be rally careful though or I will start to drink it like crazy too. I am much better not drinking it at all.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    I am a former Pepsi addict myself. I quit cold turkey 3 weeks ago. I allow myself one a week, but it's starting to taste funny now that I'm not drinking it anymore. For me, it was totally the sugar and NOT the caffeine. I switched to caffeine-free Pepsi while breastfeeding my daughter and I had none of the normal caffeine withdrawal symptoms (ie. headaches, etc.). That's when it clicked for me that the sugar was my crutch.

I've now switched to drinking pretty much nothing but water, but I flavor it with the Mio energy stuff. The black cherry flavor tastes just like the black cherry kool-aid to me. Of course I just heard the other day that Mio is bad for you too, but heck...nowadays what isn't?
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Ween your self off slowly, cut down the quantity of your soda and candy first. Drink plenty of water. Then cut down the frequency of it, I did this and I quit my soda and candy habbit in a month. If you quit cold turkey you will get bad headached because your body is so friendly with the caffine that is in the soda.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    When I was trying to give up soda, I went to diet, and then I started drinking carbonated drinks that were not soda. My favorite was flavored water I got from Walmart. I didn't have soda for a long time, and then I started drinking it again about 5 days ago. I'd say try something carbonated that isn't soda and see if that works for you. For me, it was all about the bubbles.

Same here.

Its called american clear.

I dont crave the caffiene (I drink caffiene free soda anyways) I was craving the carbon.
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 71 Member
    don't do diet soda!!! Yikers. If it is the carbonated drink you miss there are a lot of sparkling waters you can use as a replacement. Just read the labels.
  • I could never go a day without soda. But once I was determined to lose weight, I forced myself to chug water. And I switched to low cal energy drinks instead. After a week or two, Id cave and have a soda. And to my suprize...hated it. It seemed thick, hard to swallow down. Didnt taste as I expected from previous times and it upset my stomach like crazy. Just like ciggs...kick it out of yer system:):)