Lost 20 pounds and wearing the same size?! Help!

Options
Ok, so since February I have lost 20 pounds, but my jeans size has literally not changed. I am currently 5'9 208lbs. Has this happened to anyone else? Mine just fit me a little better. And I refuse to wear them because I feel like I can't wear the size they are (14).. So I literally wear leggings, yoga pants, sweats from victorias secret, things like that EVERYDAY. And it makes me feel terrible. I havent worn jeans since december 2011. Anyone else have this issue? I have 38 more pounds to lose before August and I feel like I am never going to get there. Or like my workouts are going to be as effective? I know I don't always eat the best food, but i tey and eat it in moderation... Try. I also don't want to give up on everything I love either... This weightless is so hard, yet great. Anyone have some advice? Most of my weight is in my lower abdomen, bottom and thighs and my thighs are getting smaller my tummy is not. Also, using weights for my arms advice would greatly be appreciated! Lol.

Replies

• nay1228
    nay1228 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The only suggestion I have is to keep doing what you're doing and be patient.
    I carry my weight in my lower half too, and after losing 19 lbs I am still in the same size clothing as well. I'm not squished in them like a sausage anymore, so that is good!
    I think I'll have to lose another 15 or 20 before I can go down a pants size.

Hang in there. Persistence pays off!
  • ladyt314
    ladyt314 Posts: 28
    Options
    hmmm... have u tried measuring yourself.....i have this same issue but it took for me to cut out pasta and bread... in order for me to see a little results...since february 26th ive lost a total of 20 lbs pounds but my inches that ive lost are incredible even around my waistline...measure yourself and tell me in 2 weeks
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    And I refuse to wear them because I feel like I can't wear the size they are (14).. So I literally wear leggings, yoga pants, sweats from victorias secret, things like that EVERYDAY.
    Aren't those things the same size as well?
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and 171...I wear a size 12. I think that a 14 is awesome for where you are at. I have lost 9 pounds and I my pants are still fitting the same as well. Just keep going and I know that you WILL see the sizes go down!!
  • Tammi140
    Tammi140 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OMG! That was an issue I was keeping to myself, because I thought it was only happening to me! I am in a three month program witha group of women that are losing weight and have already been giving their "fat pants" away. I have also lost around 20 lbs, carry my weight in my bottom portion, and have not had to change pant sizes. Ugh! I do have to say though, I feel really good. The better food choices and exercise have been a real positive in my life. So... as long as the scale keeps going in the right direction, I will EVENTUALLY (patients is not my virtue) get to change jeans sizes...
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    I've lost 24 llb. I'm having the same issue. I'm still a 16 (UK). I don't know if I was deluding myself beforehand but I really thought after 2 stone that I'd go down a size.

My wedding dress maker told me 14 llb would = 1 dress size. I'm quite big boned and broad hipped so I'm thinking for me - maybe 2 stone is closer to a dress sizet - We just have to keep on trying. I'm hoping there's a landslide moment and once I hit 30llb it will make a big difference.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have to lose a lot of weight to change sizes, maybe its because I carry my weight the same as you I don't know. I know my dress pants are kinda stretchy so I can understand that, but I have lost 45 pounds and am just getting into the next size. I'm thinking that my jeans must have been tighter than I thought LOL. It will happen. I figure that I am just losing it evenly throughout. Your clothes feel better so you know its changing. Best of luck
  • nlenz16
    nlenz16 Posts: 73
    Options
    And I refuse to wear them because I feel like I can't wear the size they are (14).. So I literally wear leggings, yoga pants, sweats from victorias secret, things like that EVERYDAY.

Not exactly. My sweats and yoga pants are all mediums with a couple larges and I guess that makes me feel a little better, but not much. I guess it's the jean sizing and fit that makes me feel uncomfortable. It may sound silly to someone else but it makes sense in my own silly head lol.
  • nlenz16
    nlenz16 Posts: 73
    Options
    hmmm... have u tried measuring yourself.....i have this same issue but it took for me to cut out pasta and bread... in order for me to see a little results...since february 26th ive lost a total of 20 lbs pounds but my inches that ive lost are incredible even around my waistline...measure yourself and tell me in 2 weeks

And yes I have measured myself :) and have lost quite a few inches which is totally awesome, but it was mostly in my arms amd legs and that might be why my jeans are staying the same is because my waist hasnt changed much.
  • pinkprincess205
    Options
    Iv lost 45lbs n my clothes are the same size, bought a couple of tops in a smaller size, but bottoms havnt changed really. I was hopin to b a couple of sizes less now x
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey August 2010 weighing in at 254lbs and a UK size 22 by April 2011 I had lost 60lbs and was down to a UK size 16 (size 14 in some stores) to look at my self I never thought I had lost that much weight till I tried on a pair of purple cropped trousers in my old size 22, then I realised how much I had lost. I lost my weight through following Slimming World diet and exercising around 4-5 times a week.

12 months later I have gained 20lbs and back at 214lbs and yes my size 16 clothes still fit but I just dont feel as comfortable in them, so it is possible to lose / gain 20lbs and still be in the same size clothes.

I joined MFP yesterday, that was the day I refocussed on my diet and trying to lose 32lbs by mid August.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I need all the encouragement I can get
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Not exactly. My sweats and yoga pants are all mediums with a couple larges and I guess that makes me feel a little better, but not much. I guess it's the jean sizing and fit that makes me feel uncomfortable. It may sound silly to someone else but it makes sense in my own silly head lol.

Nope, sounds right to me. After losing 20+ pounds, I'm still wearing the same size pants. My issue is that I've lost weight in my thighs, so my pants fit for about a half a second and then I start to resemble MC Hammer and I'm just thisclose to being the next size down. But, my neck, legs, face, and arms are all looking good. Workouts are going to start focusing on my middle as well as watching the carbs.
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My problem is the opposite.......I am going down in clothes sizes but the scales haven't seemed to move. Just as frustrating!! I just don't understand it. I have been a member of MFP for almost a year and a half and have only lost 15 lbs. I have lost several pant sizes but I need the scale to move! :grumble:
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!!! It all depends "how" you were carrying the weight whether or not you will quickly go down in sizes. At 36 lbs lost I was STILL in the same size. Now at 55 lbs lost I am finally down about 2 sizes. From 2x/xxl to Larges, and from Tight size 18s to a size 14. That said I have seen people lose less then 20 and go down a few sizes. Not everyone is uilt the same... don't get discouraged, it takes time... but it will totally be worth it when you get to that goal weight! :-)

***BTW, I think you and I have the same goal weight??? I am 5 9.5 inches and my goal weight right now is 170 lbs - I started at 242 lbs this past January!!!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Try a different style of jeans, your body is changing so that certain style may not be what your body needs now. Good luck
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It might be the type of jeans that they are. Are they stretchy? And maybe can work for different sizes?

I have a pair of jeans that I could wear when I was 130 and now at 157 they are the only jeans that fit, but seem to work no matter what I wear.

I suggest you go shopping for new jeans. I'm thinking in your mind you consider them to be your "big jeans" or even "fat jeans" (as I call mine)

If you buy some new jeans, you'll feel better and they might even be a different size.
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    are they jeans that have spandex in them? I have kind of the same issue; but I noticed that even though they look like they fit fine, they are still creaping down from my waist. also, because the jeans are stretchy, I could cram my fat butt into that size sooner :)

I say go to the store and try on the next smaller size and see what happens!
  • abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm down 16lbs now and still fit in the same jeans, granted they all fit way better now and just starting to get loose too. Makes me wonder why I was wearing them before. LOL
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    I have a different issue i have gone down in size's but that scale has not moved much at all!
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I can't help you love.

I've lost 65 lbs and haven't dropped a single pant size. It will come eventually though :smile: