Lost 20 pounds and wearing the same size?! Help!

Options

Replies

• mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same weight as you and in a 16 so i'd be well pleased if i was a 14. Keep going you will get there. xx
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I swear to you, wait for 2 weeks and I bet it will drop.

I lost about 24 pounds and couldn't figure out why my big jeans were still tight. Fast forward to a couple weeks later when I was on vacation. I literally had to buy new jeans two sizes smaller! It was awesome! :)
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My problem is the opposite.......I am going down in clothes sizes but the scales haven't seemed to move. Just as frustrating!! I just don't understand it. I have been a member of MFP for almost a year and a half and have only lost 15 lbs. I have lost several pant sizes but I need the scale to move! :grumble:

If you're losing inches and pants sizes, I think you must be doing something right! I'm in the same boat...haven't lost anything is October, but I'm the smallest pant size I've ever been. Perhaps you've gained more lean muscle mass, which is contributing to the scale not moving. Maybe look at your body fat composition, rather than the number on the scale.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hmm. We are the same height and almost same weight. I'm 200 lbs or so now, but when I was 208 in January I was still a size 14 solid. Now at 200 I'm finally about a 12. I need to lose bout 20lbs to lose a dress size. I recommend trying a high intensity circuit training workout like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 or something that will shed inches quickly. Good luck
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I started at 212 pounds, on a 5'4" frame... I went from 212 to 180 not losing any pant sizes.. .then Like every 5 pounds after I was dropping sizes like no other...

Im back to being 194 though... and HOPEING to drop sizes again soon!
  • ReneeJ814
    ReneeJ814 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't put too much emphasis on the size of your clothes. Some brands fit differently than others. Some run small and some run a little big. Maybe if you try a different brand of jeans you may be a size 12. If it bothers you that much, cut the tags out of your clothes. The way you look and feel in your clothes is what really matters, not what number is on the tag.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing it came off boobs and arms first, then thighs, then hips, then tummy, Just keep at it and your pants will get too big at some point.
    Hopefully you shed off some of the weight that gets between your internal organs and are healthier for it, and the next weight loss pounds will be for looks :flowerforyou:
  • irishgirl63
    Options
    It might be the type of jeans that they are. Are they stretchy? And maybe can work for different sizes?

I have a pair of jeans that I could wear when I was 130 and now at 157 they are the only jeans that fit, but seem to work no matter what I wear.

I suggest you go shopping for new jeans. I'm thinking in your mind you consider them to be your "big jeans" or even "fat jeans" (as I call mine)

If you buy some new jeans, you'll feel better and they might even be a different size.
    This
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well you said the jeans fit better, so in all honestly they probably did not fit before the weight loss. They may have buttoned, but they were still too small. Now they actually fit. I would try different styles as well. But I would definitely stop dressing down because even though in one post you said the medium (very stretchy) pants make you feel better, your OP said you do not feel good about yourself when that is all you wear. Try some new styles and dress better. You will feel better about yourself.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds and just went through my closet this past weekend. I got rid of 2 pairs of pants. The rest still fit! It's just how you carry your weight. :-\
  • Mishi1369
    Mishi1369 Posts: 37
    Options
    Don't be discouraged at all. I have lost almost 40lbs and I am still in the same jeans, and in fact a pair of pants that was a little too big when I bought them 40lbs ago, I can still wear even though they are very loose. It depends on where you carry your weight. Don't get discouraged. It sounds like you are doing great, if you feel better you will look better even in the same jeans.
  • Kerchinga
    Kerchinga Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've lost 21lb and not gone down a dress size yet either, however my trousers are baggier around the thighs which is nice :)
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I swear to you, wait for 2 weeks and I bet it will drop.

I lost about 24 pounds and couldn't figure out why my big jeans were still tight. Fast forward to a couple weeks later when I was on vacation. I literally had to buy new jeans two sizes smaller! It was awesome! :)

I agree with this. At 20 lb. loss I was still wearing the same size too, they just fit better. 5 lbs. later I was all of a sudden in the next size down. Keep at it. It will happen.
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    :smile: I know it's hard, but try not to worry about the size of your pants. Im sure they're fitting better now than they were! If they fit and they feel comfortable, wear them! You're doing a great job losing weight, so don't let this hinder your progress!
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.... Ive lost 11 pounds and still wearing the same pants. BUT I can definitley telll that they are fitting BETTER... so that is good! I hope after losing another 10-15 I will go down a jean size!
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My wife was in the same situation you are with reducing weight but clothing size not reducing. The problem for my wife is she was only using MFP to watch caloric intake. She was not exercising really at all. She did lose weight (now at about 35 pounds lost), but her pants size was not decreasing. My suggestion to her was to start doing some regular exercise that will help improve her strength and tone like 30 Day Shred and she should see some reduction in inches which would put her in a smaller size.

She committed to working out for 45 days straight (using 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30) while trying to maintain her current weight. It worked for her. She did not lose or gain any weight, but she lost several inches all around.

My point is, I wanted to further validate (as done by others already) that this can occure, but also share with you that you may be able to resolve the issue by adding some high intensity type of exercise.

Just for comparison: My wife is 5'6", started at 163, got down to 128, started as a size 12 (average) and could barely fit (comfortably) in a size 10 after losing 35 pounds. Everyone was suprized that she could not pull off a smaller size because she looked thin. Long story short, after a solid regime of exercise, she was able to get into a loose size 8. She stayed focus beyond the 45 days and is now comfortably in a size 6.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's not about the number on the scale. It is about "density". Muscle is more dense than fat.

Right now I weigh more, but I am in a size I was wearing at 20 pounds lighter.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh A LOT more than you, but I have lost almost 25 lbs and none of my clothes are any looser on me than they were before, but people are noticing I look different.
  • ksanchez311
    Options
    We pear shapes always lose in our lower halves LAST, unfortunately. Your body is going to burn fat where it was last deposited.
    Eventually, it WILL burn the fat in your problem areas, so DON'T GIVE UP! And definitely measure yourself! I've been stuck at a weight plateau for 6 months, but the inches are coming off, which means I'm just turning fat into muscle. I bet that's what is happening to you, too! Good luck.
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It took me about 20 lbs to notice my jeans fitting looser, and I have now lost 30 lbs and I'm still just in between an 18 and a 16. I have a pear shape body with wide hips, and I know that no matter how much I loose I will probably never be below like a 14. Also, try not to wear stretchy pants too much. I've read in France, they never ever wear stretchy pants so they can always tell if they are gaining or loosing weight! Thats how they keep their fabulous figures ha!