When do I add running/jogging to my walking?

Options
Hey everyone,

I weighed in today and am over 15lbs down since I joined the site (over 35lbs from my highest weight). I still am a little over 350. At what weight would you say is good to start jogging/running? I am not even considering till I am under 350. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Start immediately. If you can only run for 30 seconds then that's what you run. Run for as long as you can then walk then run then walk. etc. Congrats on the loss! :drinker:
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would start trying now. Doing intervals of walking and running is really good. Personally I can't run for more than two minutes so everytime I use the treadmill I walk a little and run a little.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I was thinking with my weight, I might do some damage pounding on my knees. Do you not think this is the case?
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Look at the C25K (Couch to 5K) training program, it starts you off jogging/walking in 60 second intervals... it's really great! If you google couch to 5k you should find the site about it. There is also a free android app if you have an android phone and most likely an iphone app too.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I was thinking with my weight, I might do some damage pounding on my knees. Do you not think this is the case?

You're right to be worried... just start slow, let your body adjust! I had problems with my knees when I started running and would slow it down the first sign of pain in my knees before it could get bad.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

To be honest (as a former nearly-300-pounder) that was my first thought.

Do you have access to an elliptical trainer? I've been using one for a few years now, and it's a great low-impact way to build "wind" (endurance) while being VERY easy on those precious knees.

If you want to try a more intense run, I'd check with two people - first, your doctor. Being overweight sometimes comes with other issues.

Second, go to a good sports-oriented shoe store and tell them you want a very supportive shoe, and understand that with extra weight hitting shoes it's going to bottom the support out a lot more quickly than someone lighter would (and a decent running shoe lasts about a year) - so plan on changing those shoes out a couple of times a year.

Also, I'd tend to lean towards trails rather than pavement if I were you.

If you're feeling like you're ready to run in terms of energy levels, that's great progress that you should be proud of. The good news is all the weight you are currently carrying around will magnify the effects of any exercise of that type that you do - so you'll burn more calories. The bad news is that the extra weight, if you don't develop a good smooth stride and have good equipment under you, can really be bad news for your knees and ankles.

Start slow and small. If pain develops, stop immediately and pick something lower-impact. You do not want an injury preventing you from exercising.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There is indeed an iPhone app for that. C25K starts you out running a minute then walking 90 seconds. Maybe until you feel more comfortable you could run 30 seconds and walk for a minute. They have the Biggest Loser contestants running right away though. Start slow and don't try to kill yourself but you have to push out of your comfort zone a little.

When I'm running and I think I can't run longer, I remind myself that I've been through much worse than running. I was in an abusive relationship and have given birth to 3 kids. Running is easy! I can't imagine that running is the worst thing you've been through and if it is then you're lucky! :wink:
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started at 307 doing the C25K, I started bike riding at 350+. My advise start now, but get some good shoes and don't over do it. Take your time working up your speed and distance and listen to your body.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started at 307 doing the C25K, I started bike riding at 350+. My advise start now, but get some good shoes and don't over do it. Take your time working up your speed and distance and listen to your body.

Definitely good shoes!! Get specifically running shoes. They're lighter than other shoes. I was running in Sketcher's Shape-ups for too long. I just bought running shoes and the weight difference is crazy!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Most of all, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If it's more than a mild ache, slow down or take some time off. Pain is bad. Etc.

Good luck!
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    What about hiking? I know not everyone has access to an area to hike in, but if you can you might want to do a little hiking to help build endurance before jogging/running as it is lower impact, but still more difficult.

Aside from that I agree with the person who said to give the elliptical a go. Listen to you body. If your knees start to hurt put ice on those suckers and then some heat.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    http://c25k.cze.dk/index.php

A great C25k forum! Lots of people of different shapes, sizes and fitness abilities!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

To be honest (as a former nearly-300-pounder) that was my first thought.

Do you have access to an elliptical trainer? I've been using one for a few years now, and it's a great low-impact way to build "wind" (endurance) while being VERY easy on those precious knees.

If you want to try a more intense run, I'd check with two people - first, your doctor. Being overweight sometimes comes with other issues.

Second, go to a good sports-oriented shoe store and tell them you want a very supportive shoe, and understand that with extra weight hitting shoes it's going to bottom the support out a lot more quickly than someone lighter would (and a decent running shoe lasts about a year) - so plan on changing those shoes out a couple of times a year.

Also, I'd tend to lean towards trails rather than pavement if I were you.

If you're feeling like you're ready to run in terms of energy levels, that's great progress that you should be proud of. The good news is all the weight you are currently carrying around will magnify the effects of any exercise of that type that you do - so you'll burn more calories. The bad news is that the extra weight, if you don't develop a good smooth stride and have good equipment under you, can really be bad news for your knees and ankles.

Start slow and small. If pain develops, stop immediately and pick something lower-impact. You do not want an injury preventing you from exercising.

^^This! Awesome advice all the way around! :happy:
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    Like someone else said, listen to your body and you can't go wrong. If you feel like trying to jog and can only go a few seconds, then do it. I used to only be able to jog for 15 seconds tops, and now can go almost an entire mile. It's not a competition so go at your body's pace. And congrats on your progress!!!
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I can run on a treadmill but can not run on the pavement. It gives me a horrible pain in one hip.. I just run as much as I can to build myself up. I don't do it daily though.
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Start Now! But listen to your body. Really, starting out it can be barely more than a fast walk or a shuffle even. And what everyone is saying about alternating running/walking is a great way to get going. Just try it, see how long you can go, maybe 30 seconds or so and then do that alternating with a few minutes of walking and build up when you're ready. You set the pace, thats what's great about running, its all up to you.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Can you run to the neighbor’s mailbox? Do it. If you get there, run to the telephone pole. That’s how I started. I LOVE to run! I solve the world’s problems or run away from them…

ps..., YOU GOT THIS!!!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would see what your doctor says. But when you start, I would start with something like couch 2 5 k. It's a great way to slowly progress to running.
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In January, I started to run at 298 lbs. I think I could run about 500 feet before I was exhausted. But as many have said, start at small intervals, and do what your body can do. I started out listening to music, I would run a song, walk a song, ( just dont make the running song Stairway to Heaven.) After a month or so I was up to about a quarter of a mile. Now , I am running about a mile and a half at 6.0 speed. Not the fastest but it gets the job done. I would also recommend that you get into a spinning class if you already go to a gym. Biking is great with less resistance. Regardless keep it up. !!!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    if you'd like to get some good cardio, try riding a bike. i had crappy knees and didn't like running, but i wanted to do something. at first i was a little ashamed about cycling outdoors, because i thought i was too big to ride a bike. but i thought, whatever. i saw a lot of BIG people riding a bike in my neighborhood.

added bonus: built up my cardio strength to be able to start running.