17 day diet

Options
13»

Replies

• fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    What happens the 18th day?

Diets are temporary. If you aren't going to eat and live that diet the rest of your life, you'll gain weight back. This has been ongoing for decades now.

Learn to control your caloric intake/output. That's really all weight loss/gain/maintenance is all about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It's not a 17 day diet. It's a cyclical eating plan that has 4 phases lasting 17 days each. The fourth phase is actually maintenance and considered to be final if you've reached your goal weight. If you haven't reached your goal weight, then you cycle back through whichever phases you need. The most restrictive phase is phase 1 and does not need to be revisited unless you feel you've totally fallen off the wagon and need a jumpstart. The goal is to gradually move you toward more whole foods and develop a habit of healthy eating that you can maintain for a lifetime without the "diet".

If it works for you, do it. If it doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. But I won't lump it in with fad diets that focus on long-term restriction. Read the book before condemning it to a fad. Motivation is a big key for success of any lifestyle change. I do know that I was able to get my bloodwork results back in a healthy range very quickly with this plan. My doctor asked what I'd done to achieve it and had no concerns with the plan. It's not rocket science... agreed, but some people need it presented in a different way to achieve the same results.

- Limiting refined sugar and refined flour products
    - Choosing lean protein
    - Incorporating probiotics, low-glycemic fruits, and loads of veggies
    - Encouraging exercise, which is increased incrementally to achieve cardio/weight loss results over time

What is bad about that?

I can't see anyone that follows the plan being unhealthy as a result of it. It encourages you to choose lean protein and veggies if you need more calories to be satisfied ... not stuffed. So I don't see the low-cal diet concern either.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't know anything about this specific plan, but my problem in general with diets that give you a meal-by-meal plan of what you "should" eat is that they end up being very uneconomical - you have to buy all kinds of food that I wouldn't normally go anywhere near, and then you only use a tiny bit of it, and they never tell you what you're supposed to do with the rest of the packet... Also there is never much choice for if you are a fussy eater, I end up with a mass of things on my meal plan that I can't stand eating, and ending up replacing them with something much less healthy.

I also think the average person's lifestyle makes it very hard to follow a set plan of recipes for each and every meal, they're generally way too restricting for me.

But having said that, if it works, why not? Even if its just so you have a guide as to how much of what kinds of foods to eat and don't stick to it word for word, it obviously works for a lot of people so its not for me to criticise!
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I have a work friend who has lost over 100 lbs on this. I bought the book. It's a pretty healthy plan as far as diets go. It does take you though three 17 cycles. I tried it, couldn't get past 3 days. For me the food lists where way to restrictive. Yes you could eat their meal plans but you could also work it into MFP without a problem. This diet has to much restriction for me to try again any time soon. I do think if I hit a road block and stop losing weight, I may give it a try again.

Best of luck. Like any diet plan you have to stick to it to lose.
  • 17DayDietGal
    17DayDietGal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for over a year and have lost 92 lbs as of this morning; I'd been at 95 pounds down, but gained a few pounds -- way easy to take whatever you gained back off! Lots of really GREAT recipes out there too :-)
  • 17DayDietGal
    17DayDietGal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The thing with the "meal by meal" what you should eat is that the meal plans in the book are for ideas only. Most of us make up our own meals and just eat healthy!!!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for over a year and have lost 92 lbs as of this morning; I'd been at 95 pounds down, but gained a few pounds -- way easy to take whatever you gained back off! Lots of really GREAT recipes out there too :-)

Wow. Congratulations. I started it again yesterday. I did it last year for 30 days and lost 18 lbs. I like the way it made me look and feel so I am getting back on track with it. It's great to couple it with MFP so that I can track my calories.

I became very creative with recipes. Taco salad (everything but the tortilla shell), chicken parmesan (no pasta), grilled chicken salad, etc in phase 1. You just have to be aware of healthy substitutions to get the same result. I found that a little parmesan will make a crust similar to breading. Now that I have rediscovered smoothies, it is really easy. I have been using bananas as the base even though they are not allowed in phase 1, but I will be switching to kefir to get the consistency I want.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

That's awesome! Congratulations!!! Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. :flowerforyou: