Ideal Protein...Someone know's something about that

Options
13»

Replies

• kmp5988
    kmp5988 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been on Ideal Protein now for 2 weeks and I have to say it really sucks. The food is good for "diet" food and you get veggies and meat, but I feel weak, tired, and have zero energy. In fact I almost feel worse then how I felt before the I started the diet. I've been told by everyone that after the first week you feel better, but it just is not happening for me. I follow the plan and my coach is at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

I've only lost 4 pounds and half of an inch which isnt bad for 2 weeks but not worth feeling like crap. Also not much compared to almost all other users.

I'm wondering if anyone else doing this diet is feeling as horrible as i am? I'm always hungry no matter how often I eat, and frankly there isn't enough time to eat every 2 hours.
  • scotco
    scotco Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry for the long post but sharing is caring :smile:

I have been on IP for 5 weeks now and have lost 29lbs without having to work out like crazy. No cravings, no hunger pains so for me it's been a great weight loss diet/protocol. The only issue I have had is the energy levels do fluctuate, but nothing worse as when I used to get 5 hrs of sleep a night when I was in my early 20s. Occasionally I literately 'morn' the loss of all the yummy foods I used to eat, but not enough to cheat. With this program there is no cheating unless you want to set yourself back 3-4 days while your body gets back into Keytosis.

The cost from my distributor/coach was $350cnd for the first week which includes a month of supplements (2 months for some) a weeks worth of random IP food (breakfast, lunch, snack and bonus meal), the Blender cup for mixing the powdered food, and some literature about the program. Also included were some prepared meals that I didn't have to mix up for a quick meal for those in a hurry or limited access to a kitchen.
    After the first week, the foods costs around $90cnd per week and only consist of 2 meals and 1 snack. The first week you get a bonus meal pouch to help get you through the transition phase. Once you get through your first month of supplements, I believe another month is around $90 but I don't totally remember the exact cost. Another aspect is selecting foods that you can eat for 7 days straight without getting sick of them. A strategy I found is purchasing 2 weeks worth of different things and just alternating items each day. Luckily my wife is also on the IP program, so between the both of us we have lots of selections.

Now this all seems a little pricey, but I do not eat out or buy coffee out anymore which was probably setting me back easily 200-350+ a week. Also, when we go shopping for food, we no longer purchase the snack foods, or processed foods which although tasty, have low nutrition and do add up quickly on the total food bill.
    The veggies and meat we purchase for dinners are relatively cheap as well if you get them on sale.
    I don't know if any of you shop at Costco, but me and my wife used to joke we could never leave without spending at least $100, but when all your picking up is meat and veggies we now sometimes only check out with only $60-$80 worth of food! Crazy I know.

Anyways, I will keep it up as the results are good. Let me know if you (or anybody) has any questions.
    36194373.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • smileypeaches
    smileypeaches Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will start on IP Monday .... Can someone give me ideas on the best/easiest
    Proteins and veggies!!! Don't have a lot of extra time... Or
    What works for you????? Thanks lots
    I am actually on Ideal Protein. It is awesome! But lets look at some of the myths....
    1. NO exercise.....Um no not correct, you are to do exercise just not the first few weeks while you body is adjusting, then you add in walking and light weight lifting. Yes you eat few calories and carbs this is why you don't want to over do the work outs.
    2. It WILL just come back....in any diet a person will gain the weight back if they do not change their eating habits. You don't just gain weight back for no reason most people that gain the weight are those that return to their old eating habits and that's how they gain the weight the first time what makes them think that they can return to those habits and the weight will stay off.
    3. You will always be hungry.....um no if you eat your IP food and your veggies and whole protein and drink the required amount of water, you will not get hungry. This diet provides the right amount of protein to maintain muscle mass. This means you get the protein your body needs. You will find most people that get hungry during any diet is because they eat carbs. You think fruits and veggies are good for you. Fruits are all sugar, your body burns it right off and leaves no reserve for you to make it to the next meal.

Downsides to the diet
    1. Yes it is expensive. But you have to understand you are not only buying the food but you are being tracked and advised by nutritionist and dietitians the whole time. They know what they are doing and can adjust the diet for you if something doesn't feel right. USE their knowledge! If it is too much for you and you have and HSA account, look into how your coach bills the expense, depending on that you can actually use your HSA account.
    2. Your friends will not be as supportive as they claim they will. They will constantly question your choice in the diet. But mainly while you change your habits they are staying they same. They will be eating those fries and chips and cookies in front of you all the time.
    3. You will have cravings every now and then that will drive you crazy. Just stick to it and don't cheat, it's not worth it.

To make it easier
    1. The first couple weeks try a variety of food. Find a center that sells the food packets individually to find out which packs you like. Most places that do food this way will also let you exchange food if you find that you didn't like it. I had a whole box of vinegar chips, ate two chips from one bag and couldn't do it. I asked them what I could do and they said pick out new food and took the unopened chips back.
    2. Once you find three that you like, only order those. I find I like the premade chocolate drink, the orange drink, and the bbq chips. I do only those. I am never hungry. I eat my whole protein and veggies. 9 weeks and 38lbs lighter. Yay me! Average between 4-5lbs a week. And honestly I haven't added in my exercise yet as I have work and school and a wedding to prepare, but at the end of this month watch out! :)
    3. Watch the videos they send you every day. They are there to teach you what to change when you are finished in the phase 1. They are very informative and helpful.
    4. If you hate water, get flavored water as long as it is 0 calorie 0 sugar. I drink a powerade zero every day. I use those little flavor adders from desani. Even fresca is okay if need the carbonation, but keep it to one a day. Powerade and fresca are not a water replacement just a little alternative if needed.

I am still very far from my goal, but every day I don't eat those fries, or chips, or cookies I want them less. When I watch my friends eat them I can see what I must have looked like shoveling them into my mouth. I know that at the end of my journey my habits will change because my mind, my WOL has changed. That is the key to keeping it off.
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've lost 146 lbs in 9 months on it! My wife has lost 70 lbs in 5 months on it and her cousins have had great success with it. My wife's cousins followed it in a chiropractors office while my wife and I did it from home. We ordered food/snacks similar in nutrition value to Ideal Protein on our own. It's very restrictive and not for everyone. You don't get cheat days or meals PERIOD. So if you're weak then don't bother, go on Weight Watchers cause at least you can have a treat while on it as long as you have the available points. But on Ideal Protein you can expect to lose 3-7 lbs a week and since I was 411.4 lbs when I started I was losing some week 8-9 lbs.

what types of food did you find or order that had the similar nutritional facts???
  • margaretbartha
    margaretbartha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been an IP coach for two years so just to clear up the misconception that this is a high protein diet; that is absolutely untrue, it is a SUFFICIENT protein diet, so while a lot of the fat and carbs have been lowered, the protein is left intact so you don't lose muscle mass like you would if you went on a diet that simply lowered all the food groups. It is not any harder on the kidneys and liver than a normal diet, I compare it to taking everything out of a house except the plumbing which would make one think that the house has a crazy amount of plumbing which it does not, just missing other things. The low calorie level is not dangerous, it is supplemented by your fat stores, so you are getting an additional 1200 or more calories from your own fat which is why people feel invigorated and energized after a couple of weeks on the plan, when they are used to being in ketosis. You can exercise but take it easy, walking and yoga are perfect. It's very difficult to lose weight without a bit of an aid to lean on for a little while, IP gives you that support. We do teach you to eat right and there are lots of whole foods on this diet, but it is up to you to take that advice and implement it after you are done. Just like you can't go into debt, get help climbing out of it and go back to your old spending habits, you have to eat responsibly. Most thin people do, we don't have sick metabolisms, we just choose healthy over crappy food. I can't tell you how many years it has been since I ate a bowl of french fries. My life is wonderful and I don't depend on food to make me happy. It takes a drastic change to lose weight, and it takes fundamental changes to keep it off. We help you do both.
  • krstnadap
    krstnadap Posts: 3
    Options
    I am worried about plateauing. I'm just wondering will decreasing my intake of restrictive IP food help me lose weight faster? by decreasing... I mean I'll just be taking unrestricted IP food instead of restricted.
  • jmcranford
    jmcranford Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started Ideal Protein, this week. I really haven't found anything that I really like yet, but after spending $350 to join, I am determined to keep going for awhile. Any suggestions on food choices will be helpful . .so far I hated the chocolate pudding, the broccoli & cheddar soup, the salt & vinegar chips, the Bar b Que Crisps . .. I didn't mind the chocolate drink. So far that is about the best choice I've had.

Also one question, I like to put a little dressing on my salad greens (is that ok) . .it's my only cheat.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Amazing number of similarly worded first posts in this thread
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    eat chicken and fish..

Ideal protein accomplished.

and it's cheaper and not processed

winning! :drinker:
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins 6 years ago and lost a decent amount of weight. Trouble is, it's highly unlikely you're going to eat like that for the rest of your life. Why would you even want to? There's simply just too much really awesome food out there that is high in carbs, including most desserts. So after about a year, I strayed and gained everything back. So no thanks to ketogenic diets for me.

This last time around I used MFP and with a calorie deficient diet, I lost even more weight and now I have been maintaining for over a year. I personally find it much easier to log my food and track my macros instead of rigidly denying myself entire aisles of the grocery store for the rest of my life. And If (and when) I do go over on one day, I simply make up for it the next day or two.
  • bestcreativename
    Options
    The cappuccino drink is good -- most of the bars and soy puffs, although they are restricted to 1 a day.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many 1st post users came in to give "amazing reviews" on a fad diet. Doesn't seem like marketing at all. At all.

Ha, I was just thinking the same thing.
  • Echofroe
    Echofroe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It takes a week or two to get used to the packets until your body has detoxed all the carbs etc that you were eating before you started the program. Try something you disliked the first week in a couple of weeks later on and you may be pleasantly surprised:) How are you doing on the program?
  • werners1980
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I have an appointment to find out about the IP program on Tuesday.
  • jejennings38
    Options
    I've been on the IP diet for a week and lost 8 pounds. My only problem so far is that none of the foods are marked with nutritional information and an email to the manufacturer returned an answer that they don't provide this information because it could "cause medical and legal problems", which makes no sense to me. My coach said the nutritional information is only printed on the master cartons the products are shipped in. I wanted to track my daily input of carbs, fat, etc. but can't. Does anyone know what's in their stuff. I thought the FAD required nutritional information to be printed on the package,
  • lovetobewell
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs a couple of years ago, but when I went off of it I have gained almost all back. Now am trying exercise and cutting back.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    jncranfill wrote: »
    Here's my opinion for what it's worth. Ideal Protein Diet isn't for everyone. It is expensive but you do get results. My husband and I have Tried all the diets, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Protein Power and a diet low in protein but lots of fresh fruits and veggies.
    These diets worked for him and he lost about 20 lbs in the 1st few months but many require daily food planning and in our society
    It's not always practical, so we fell off the wagon and tried a different one. Each time gaining a few more pounds. In the near
    Future my husband will be retiring and we wanted to get healthier. We set a goal for both of us to lose our unwanted pounds before
    next February...30 lbs for me and over 100 for him. I did research on proper nutrition and know the very Best Way to lose weight is
    to eat a well balance diet (fresh fruit, fresh veggies and lean meat or other protein). It's important to avoid processed foods, and
    fast food restaurants, that's what we tried and honestly we felt better. The weight came off a little but we really were not losing
    body fat or pounds. A friend told me about Ideal Protein Diet and I could see fast results with her within 3 months. She said
    there is a process our body has to get to in order to burn stored fat. Our bodies will use us carbs first. If you dramatically reduce
    your carb in take, your body will start to use muscle or fat to get energy. If your body is getting all the protein it needs, it will not
    breakdown muscle but will start breaking down your stored fat. Ideal Protein Diet is expensive so I've (since I have a big trip planned) that I would try Ideal Protein Diet and he would copy me but use another method for his protein and meals. I just
    finished my 1 st week and have lost almost 5 lbs eating primarily their meals. That's good but it was extremely difficult and I
    cheated a few times and ate a little dairy and a few nuts. My husband started a low carb, low cal diet getting protein shakes
    from Sam's club and also their low carb high protein bars. He is following my meal plan and he has lost 28 lbs in 28 days.
    Men seem to lose more weight at a faster pace. For me , I know I could lose the weight without Ideal Protein Diet but it would
    Take me much longer and I am getting weekly check ups and counseling. That to me is very important especially when you
    dramatically cut back on calories. I can't afford to stay on this diet too long but if it helps me break the plateau my body seems
    to be in then I will try and stick to it until I lose my 30 lbs. I've been told some women can lose up to 6 lbs a week. I shooting
    For 4 or 5 lbs per week (happy even if it's 4). Being able to see fast results can really boost your spirits so for some people this
    may be the answer. I'll keep you updated on my weight loss. But search the web like I did. Many other people are having good
    results with Ideal Protein Diet. The next step will be to train ourselves to eat healthier so we no lose our investment!
    The cost for me was 345.00 first week and about 90.00 each week after so that's a major investment, especially if you have
    A lot of weight to lose!

6 pounds a week, or 4-5 pounds a week sounds. . . .well, awful.
  • dzgrout
    dzgrout Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Ideal Protein program for about 9 weeks and have lost 21 pounds. I agree that the program is expensive. I've stuck with it so far because I really need the structure it provides. And, although the meals do become a little boring, with all the veggies I am eating, I feel good. Good luck to all of you in whatever program you choose...