Darn plateau...can I beat it?

Options

Replies

• chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Not eating the way you have been as it wAY too little calories. But lets gather some data. First use the link below to figure out your estimated BMR and post that. Also, what do you do for a living and what do you do for exercise?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

ps- based on your current stats, you should be closer to 1 lb per week and eating at least 50-75% of your exercise calories but we can adjust things once you post results.

Ok I did this and I got "your current BMR is 1536 calories." I work at a desk job and I run three times a week for 45 minutes, do weight training 1-2x a week. Some weeks I get more cardio like a step class and some weeks I may take a yoga class. So average 4-5 days a week doing something.

The chart says I should be eating 2158! Wow thats alot more than I am doing now.

here's the chart:
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1670
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1914
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2158
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2401
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2645
    So wait, Im confused...sorry. Does this mean that if you stick to your level of activity, that you don't eat back your exercise calories? So lets say Im moderate, and I work out moderately for 3-5 days a week, do I just aim for 2158? This is not my BMR, but I have seen this chart before and got confused, so went back to MFP as I could add in my exercise calories. Im so confused. HELP.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I posted my BMR and exercise inthe original post. As far as my job, I am a home daycare provider who chases kids around in circles all day. :)

I think you are mixing your BMR and TDEE. Because I just ran your numbers and your BMR is around 1488 if you are 5'5". And even if you were 5'10 it would only be 1512.

So for this sake we will say 1488 and you are lightly active as you chased children and you probably burn 200 -300 calories a day with exercise, soo

TDEE = 1488 * 1.375 + 250 = 2296 (average burn)

Deficit from there

CN = 2296 * .8 = 1836

You should probably be eating close to 1800 calories a day on workout days or 1600 on non work days or on average 1700 calories a day. You aren't losing as you aren't eating enough. That 700-900 calorie crap that you are doing is the issue. You gotta fuel your car to drive, and you gotta fuel the body to burn fat.

Also, look to start doing heavy weight training where you fail at 8-12 reps. WT will provide you much better fat burning than all the cardio crap in the world. Cardio is good for burning calories and having healthy heart.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Not eating the way you have been as it wAY too little calories. But lets gather some data. First use the link below to figure out your estimated BMR and post that. Also, what do you do for a living and what do you do for exercise?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

ps- based on your current stats, you should be closer to 1 lb per week and eating at least 50-75% of your exercise calories but we can adjust things once you post results.

Ok I did this and I got "your current BMR is 1536 calories." I work at a desk job and I run three times a week for 45 minutes, do weight training 1-2x a week. Some weeks I get more cardio like a step class and some weeks I may take a yoga class. So average 4-5 days a week doing something.

The chart says I should be eating 2158! Wow thats alot more than I am doing now.

here's the chart:
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1670
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1914
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2158
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2401
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2645

I would eat between 1900-2100 based on the numbers I ran for you. Your biggest benefit will come from cutting some of the cardio and increasing weight training, especially if you want to burn fat.
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    i've hit plateau twice.... first time, i hit plateau after 3 weeks when i was netting 1000cals (goal: lose a pound a week, sedentary)..... i didn't know i need to eat some my exercise back.... my body went to starvation mode.... i read to up my calorie intake... fist to get away from starvation mode.... consumed my matenance cals (1800cals) and exercise cals for a week.... then, kept my goal to maintenace (little active) and didn't eat my exercise back (net 1300)...

second time, it happened again... did the same thing, consumed my maintenace and exercise cals for a week... then, changed my level to active (net 1500) and not eat my exercise back.....
  • BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have plateau'ed as well for the past month. Driving me nuts.
  • mommy2girlies
    mommy2girlies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the answers...but darn it can be so frustrating! Everyone has a different way of getting around their plateau. I was hoping it was a one solution type fix. So now it' hit and miss, and hope it works since everyone's different. idon't know where to start now.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I too, follow the 1200cal diet per day. Once a week, I go over my allotment, it happens. I joined a Bootcamp class when I plateaued.

Your exercise needs to step it up a notch from walking to more rigorous activity, including weights. Get yourself a Heart Rate Monitor watch and make sure your heart rate is in the Anaerobic and VO2 zones (between 148 to 185 beats per minute).

Don't forget Calisthenics is important too.

Heart Rate Monitor chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png
  • terri51870
    Options
    The more I read, the more confused I get. I have been at this 8 weeks & I lost 18 pounds in the first four weeks. I was eating less than 1200 calories a day, plus jogging on the treadmill 6 x per week for 30 minutes. I've been stuck for a month now, lose a pound, gain a pound. I have no problem getting all my water in daily. From all the reading I have done, I see where my body was in starvation mode, so several weeks ago I increased my calorie intake to 1930 (which includes eating back exercise calories) & increased my cardio time to 45 minutes, still 6 days a week. I would really like to bust out of this rut. I have 12-15 pounds to reach my goal. Like I said, thoroughly confused on all the formulas, the BMR, TDEE, eating back exercise calories, not eating them back? I am 41 years old, 5'5", and 168 pounds. Any suggestions?
  • curvykim78
    Options
    1878 is my BMR, and thats a lot more than the 1200 that my fitness pal says....ugh...this is confusing!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Bump it up to 1500 and eat your exercise calories back. Eat carbs that have a low glycemic index, such as quinoa, sweet potatoes and steel cut oats to bring your caories up. Make sure to eat as close to the body weight you want to be in grams of protein, ie if you want to be 130, then try to get 130 grams of protein. I know it is hard, so you can add a shake, or at the very least, try to get 100 grams.

I am 43 and lost my last 5 lbs by UPPING my calories. It took me a while to wrap my head around it but after I actually tried it, it worked. I hired a personal trainer last year to try to burn some of this fat off that did not seem to want to move, well it was not until I started EATING that it came off.

It does work, I promise it does. Now one thing that is important to note, you must eat nutritious foods, not just any crap to fill the calorie void. Please message me if you would like some hints on some good, healthy delicious recipes.

Lesa
  • psuLemon
    Options
    1878 is my BMR, and thats a lot more than the 1200 that my fitness pal says....ugh...this is confusing!

How is your bmr that high? Did you have it tested or running numbers?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I appreciate all the answers...but darn it can be so frustrating! Everyone has a different way of getting around their plateau. I was hoping it was a one solution type fix. So now it' hit and miss, and hope it works since everyone's different. idon't know where to start now.
    Btw i have done this myself as well as 100+ people on this board and raising calories has worked 100% of the time. What you do is slowly increase until you hit the goal. Start with 1400 this week and the 1700 the following.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am copying and pasting from my wall from the other day. I am working with some gals that still are refusing to eat more, so I asked my friends to share their experience, here it is:

14691849_9004_thumb
    lesasass Hey friends, I would like those who have actually been able to wrap their head around eating more to weigh less to comment on this status for others on my friends list to see. I do not know if people think I am lying to them or if they are just incapable of actually doing it. I would love for some of those people to hear from those of you who have been successful doing it.
    2 days ago · Comment

19770818_545_thumb
    Lyra89 I lost 50lbs eating between 1500 and 2000 calories + daily walks and working out 3 times a week for 30 minutes to one hour :)
    2 days ago · Delete
    3210903_5363_thumb
    Abigaillee15 Eating more works!!! I strongly advise it!! After basically starving myself for a year with 1300 calories and an hour of exercise a day, I destroyed my metabolism and turned to binge eating. I binged because my body was deprived! Now after increasing my calories for just two weeks I am losing fat, gaining muscle and waking up with a lot more energy! Not to mention the fact I don't go to bed hungry! Don't starve yourself. Food is fuel!!
    2 days ago · Delete
    6258994_4898_thumb
    legmotor Word.. It works, do it. And the best part? You get to eat more food without having to feel guilty!!! = ))
    2 days ago · Delete
    14691849_9004_thumb
    lesasass Thanks for your comments guys. I guess I should go next. I was not seeing movement on the scale but was seeing a difference in the way my clothes fit. I was resigned to the fact that I was not going to lose this little bit of fat under my belly button or my saddle bags, that comes along with being a woman my age. When I finally wrapped my head around eating a few more hundred calories a day, that fat I thought I was going to have to live with slowly started melting away. I could not believe it, not only was the scale moving, the hardest fat to lose was leaving my 43 year old body. I will never EVER intentionally eat less than I want, ever again. EVER I say, EVER. I look better now than I have in the last 10 years. :D And I owe it all to a pair of shoes and a fork.
    2 days ago · Delete
    7055120_5480_thumb
    twinmomtwice4 It's working for me too! Eating 1700 calories a day and feeling great! While the scale has gone up and down in the 5 weeks I've been eating more, I've lost several inches and clothes that I haven't been able to wear in months finally fit!! IT WORKS!!!
    2 days ago · Delete
    9294531_8389_thumb
    JacksMom12 Getting to eat more and still lose weight is amazing. If I can lose on 1600+, why would I ever just have 1200?!?! That's like getting offered 50,000 a year salary and saying "no thanks, I'll just take 30,000"
    2 days ago · Delete
    9294531_8389_thumb
    JacksMom12 Some people do the super low calories for too long and then can never go back because their metabolism gets used to functioning on so little. That would be hell! Who cares if you don't lose 5 pounds a week, this isn't the biggest loser , it's real life and time will pass either way. Losing slow, steady, and sustainably is best. I've averaged about a half pound a week, but I'm at goal. 5'4 and 117 lbs and I can eat 2000 calories a day and maintain because of the fact that I did it the right way. My body feels strong and healthy and not weak or deprived. I can maintain this for the long haul and if my body was used to such a little amount of food, I'd gain it all back in a second. I want to live normally and enjoy life, not be starving everyday and stressing about every little calorie for the rest of my life
    2 days ago · Delete
    4575945_7233_thumb
    lambertj I bumped from 1200 to 1500 and finally started losing steadily, I'll never go back to 1200
    2 days ago · Delete
    14691849_9004_thumb
    lesasass :) Good stuff guys, keep em coming. I am going to go log off and pamper myself with a hot bath and a good book. :)
    2 days ago · Delete
    13571994_5639_thumb
    salxtai I'm in. broke my plateau at 63-64 kg and down to 60.5 kg, and dropped body fat down to 23.7%.
    2 days ago · Delete
    15518467_2006_thumb
    ninik2003 I'm doing great eating 1700-1900 calories a day! The book new rules of lifting for women helped me see that 1200 calories isn't worth it!
    2 days ago · Delete
    9165351_4692_thumb
    LTGPSA I'm totally eating every calorie allotted to me (except once in awhile I might leave a few more than usual on the books and then go a little over - like tonite). Eating back my exercise calories has worked best for me. I don't understand why people are fighting it. I'm living proof this works. Best of luck to everyone!
    2 days ago · Delete
    2104345_6893_thumb
    dasblondie I am really starting to realize i have to eat to lose...im bouncing around right now about 5lbs up and down...almost at my goal...but i was really shorting myself on calories and feeling tired all the time...now that im eatting more i have more energy to work out and i all around feel better...i figure the weight will come off eventually and im gaining muscle from the more regular workouts!!
    2 days ago · Delete
    19576213_1681_thumb
    Jenjaz1910 I was stuck at 150lbs for over 3 months but about 4 weeks ago I started upping my cals so that I NET at or above my BMR (which after exercise normally means I eat between 1550 -18000 plus cals) I STS the first 2 weeks but lost 10.5 inches, but the last 2 weeks I have now seen the scales go down 2.3lbs :) It does work, you just gotta give it time for your body to adjust x
    1 day ago · Delete
    14691849_9004_thumb
    lesasass Thanks to all who commented. I really hope that people will see that they do not have to starve to lose weigh along with look AND feel GREAT! Nutrition is the key though.
    1 day ago · Delete
    15589706_4522_thumb
    tovenestor I sat at 1200 calories a day with no movement on the scale until i increased to 1600 then the weight started falling off...it's the truth! Food is fuel for your body - it needs it!
    17 hours ago · Delete
  • curvykim78
    Options
    i filled in the numbers on the website fittofatratio.com
  • psuLemon
    Options
    i filled in the numbers on the website fittofatratio.com

I think you are confusing bmr and tdee. Rerun the numbers and look where it says according to the harris benefict formula. Because i ran based on your stats and got 1500 ish.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    The top number is 1436 by the Harris-benedict name. Is that the correct one for me to be eating to get to my goal weight of 130? I was confusing that with the number at the bottom on the page in the box.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    2038 was the number in the bottom box by the moderately active box.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • psuLemon
    Options
    The top number is 1436 by the Harris-benedict name. Is that the correct one for me to be eating to get to my goal weight of 130? I was confusing that with the number at the bottom on the page in the box.

Ok i was right. If you look at the calories i posted earlier it should be on target for weight loss. You can cut 50 calories due to me having a higher bmr.