Darn plateau...can I beat it?

Options

Replies

• ckarrer
    ckarrer Posts: 1
    Options
    Same thing happened to me.... I lost 20# in 2 months, then nothing for a whole month. I was doing 1200 calories initially and apparently my body went into starvation mode during the 3rd month. I increased my calories to 1410 (which is a weight loss goal of 1 pound a week) and increased my healthy fat intake (avocados, peanut butter., olive oil..) and in just a week my body let go of 5 more pounds(: I've heard you need to eat fat to lose fat and it worked. I had only been eating half my fat requirement initially. I also read somewhere not to eat less than your BMR which is 1416 for me and my calorie goal is 1410 at 1 pound loss per week. Hope this helps(:
  • terri51870
    Options
    That's how I have mine set also, 1 pound loss per week. My BMR is 1428, and MFP has my goals as: Calories Burned 1930, Net Consumed 1430, Daily Calorie Deficit 500, for weight loss of 1 pound per week. Do you eat back your exercise calories or not? I've also been checking into calorie cycling (zig zagging). I will try to add more fat as you suggested, I'm willing to try anything!! I'm wondering if I should cut back on my cardio and add something different?
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    So if I did it right, it would be 1781 calories on workout days and 1581 on non workout days. So the magic numbers would be 1700 and 1500 then? Thank you so much for your help!! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That's how I have mine set also, 1 pound loss per week. My BMR is 1428, and MFP has my goals as: Calories Burned 1930, Net Consumed 1430, Daily Calorie Deficit 500, for weight loss of 1 pound per week. Do you eat back your exercise calories or not? I've also been checking into calorie cycling (zig zagging). I will try to add more fat as you suggested, I'm willing to try anything!! I'm wondering if I should cut back on my cardio and add something different?

Cut cardio and add resistance training.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat them back. If I am not hungry, i didn't see the need to eat the exercise calories back...maybe this is where my problems are coming from.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So if I did it right, it would be 1781 calories on workout days and 1581 on non workout days. So the magic numbers would be 1700 and 1500 then? Thank you so much for your help!! :)

Round up. Or you can aim for 1700 everyday.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat them back. If I am not hungry, i didn't see the need to eat the exercise calories back...maybe this is where my problems are coming from.

Most days you werent even close to your goal. That was the problem. Eating 700-900 calories wont work.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I'll give it a shot! I'm dying to get into a bikini, so I'll try anything. :) Thank you so much for all of your help this morning, I really appreciate it a lot.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! Be sure to eat your exercise calories for a while and drink LOTS of water. I/2 your body weight in ozs of water. IT really helps. Best of luck and friend me if you like!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Increasing the intensity of your exercise is something you should do every couple of months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 5 month plateau! Still havent made any progress in it. Ive tried slightly increasing my calories, slightly decreasing them and changing my workouts. I still keep losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. Good luck!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Oh man...half my body weight in water?? I think I'll be floating! lol :)
  • terri51870
    Options
    I will definitely try that. My husband has been telling me that I need to "change it up" on just doing cardio. Thank you for your help!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 15 weeks now. I've lost 14 pounds, but I have been stuck at this weight for 3-4 weeks now. After listening to the others, it seems like they think I need to eat more. I adjusted my goal from losing 2 pounds a week to 1.5 pounds a week. It has put me from 1200 calories to 1290 calories a day. My question is this...is the 90 calories enough to make me overcome this plateau or should I go by the BMR number I found online which is 1878.
    If it helps, I was 172, currently 158 and 34 years old, healthy, and walk the treadmill 4-5 days a week for 35-40 minutes weekly carrying 5-8 pound weights. Any ideas for me to get over this hurdle?
    THANKS!!

I am so glad you started this thread, 'cause I am in the same boat.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was told the way to beat a plateau is to change up your workout and "fool your body." For example, you might want to put down the weights and do intervals on the treadmill...ramp up the speed and incline for two to three minutes, then drop back to your regular speed and incline and repeat the process every so often. If you lift weights, work a different set of muscles each day.

Your body gets used to the same movements so you want to keep challenging it and do something different. :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Oh man...half my body weight in water?? I think I'll be floating! lol :)

Have your body weight in ounces of water.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Not eating the way you have been as it wAY too little calories. But lets gather some data. First use the link below to figure out your estimated BMR and post that. Also, what do you do for a living and what do you do for exercise?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

ps- based on your current stats, you should be closer to 1 lb per week and eating at least 50-75% of your exercise calories but we can adjust things once you post results.

I just did mine and it's 1392, but on this site I am at a 1200. So what do I do??? p.s 35, f, 138 lbs, 64 inches in height
  • nanasgt
    nanasgt Posts: 33
    Options
    :smile:
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump,I'm on the same boat :(
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hi! Be sure to eat your exercise calories for a while and drink LOTS of water. I/2 your body weight in ozs of water. IT really helps. Best of luck and friend me if you like!

With the goals i set for her it wont be necessary to eat back exercise calories as its figured into her tdee but for others i wouod agree.