Paleo Diet?

Options
One of my friends suggested this diet. You basically eat meat, fish, nuts, fruits, veggies, and nothing else. What does everyone think about it? Has anyone on here tried it and had success with it?

Replies

• marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i try to do paleo because when i stick to it i feel great, but when i fall off its hard to get back on. processed foods are addicting but really bad for you. i would suggest you look at fastpaleo.com and get some recipe ideas.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

I am evolving my diet slowly to it. I will have to modify some because I straight up cannot stand veggies, so I am working on ways to get the value of the veggie outside of eating it. So far I am not doing bad, just waiting for my processed foods to be gone then I will really see how it feels.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    buckey...i'm the same way about veggies so i cook them into my food so i cant taste them. i make paleo meatballs that are AWESOME and all they are is ground beef (or turkey) withy shredded squash and zuccini (sp?) in them cooked in bacon grease for flavor. (bacon is very paleo). many paleo recipe sites will teach you had to cook in the veggies where you won't even know they are there.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've headed towards the Paleo way of eating but still consume some processed products (mainly supplements). This style of eating really suits me though as I love meat and eggs and have always been good when it comes to eating veggies. Nuts I never used to eat much of before but now they're a staple part of my diet and a go to snack.
  • doodlebug32
    doodlebug32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I actually really liked the Paleo diet - I feel that it is the least restrictive "cleanses" out there. You are basically eliminating all the "allergy foods" (peanuts, soy, gluten, etc.) from your body. By doing it, I figured out that my body isn't very tolerant to foods made from refined flour - I had a lot less intestinal irritability, and felt a lot less bloated. Now I try to stay away from those foods and feel better. I wasn't super strict - for example, I would never be able to find bacon with no nitrates anywhere around me, and I can't afford ALL organic food - but I tried to follow it as best I could, and there was definitely a difference in how I felt, and I completely eliminated sugar spikes and such, which made a big, positive difference in my energy level. BE CAREFUL though - most of these foods are very high calories (beef, nuts, etc), so you really have to watch your calorie intake when you're on it. I hope this helps!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The paleo diet is simply a low carb diet based on the false premise that certain food groups, not excess calorie, cause obesity. If you believe you can succeed without the energy benefits of carbs, great. Otherwise its another path to failure.

I suggest reading George Bray's history of obesity before making such a drastic dietary change.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    The paleo diet is simply a low carb diet based on the false premise that certain food groups, not excess calorie, cause obesity. If you believe you can succeed without the energy benefits of carbs, great. Otherwise its another path to failure.

I suggest reading George Bray's history of obesity before making such a drastic dietary change.

This is a misunderstanding of the Paleo diet. It isn't "oh carbs are bad," that's beyond ignorant. It is about removing processed carbs and sticking to natural carbs like fruits and the like. It also wants you to increase fat intake to provide your energy supply. Deeming a diet a path to failure when plenty of people are having long term success is very short sighted. Is it perfect for everyone? No. Everyone is effected differently by the food they eat and you should figure out what best effects your body. Anyone who defines something as an absolute, you should avoid.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

This is a misunderstanding of the Paleo diet. It isn't "oh carbs are bad," that's beyond ignorant. It is about removing processed carbs and sticking to natural carbs like fruits and the like. It also wants you to increase fat intake to provide your energy supply. Deeming a diet a path to failure when plenty of people are having long term success is very short sighted. Is it perfect for everyone? No. Everyone is effected differently by the food they eat and you should figure out what best effects your body. Anyone who defines something as an absolute, you should avoid.

Obviously you didn't read my post. It seems your haste to defend your ideology results in you rebutting imaginary claims.

Anyway, my personal beliefs are that there aren't 'good' or 'bad' foods. There are only correct or incorrect usage and dosage. The paleo designers claim certain 'bad' foods cannot be eaten without weight gain despite the calorie amount.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Ditto Buckeye...

Paleo isn't a weightloss diet it is a lifestyle way of eating....there are plenty of people who don't want to loose weight who eat a Paleo lifestyle - I know people who eat a Paleo way to bulk up since it is dependant on protiens and fats...within the Paleo lifestyle you can certainly restrict calories in order to loose weight.

Because you remove grains for many people it does become a lower carb way of eating...but it is not specifically "lower carb" as many veggies and fruits contain a significant amount of carbs...I could easily eat 300 grams of carbs a day and remain paleo and within my calorie goals for the day...a few pieces of higher carb fruit and some higher carb squash...

as for the idea that people who eat Paleo think food groups rather than excess calories cause obesity is laughable...in the end it is all about energy sources and how your body uses the energy sources you provide it...Some people do just fine eating all sorts of food products and focusing soley on the calories if they are attempting to loose weight - but nnot everyone is the same and for some people it REALLY DOES MATTER what you fuel your body with for long term success....if you don't belive that that then that is your perogative...
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options

Ditto Buckeye...

Paleo isn't a weightloss diet it is a lifestyle way of eating....there are plenty of people who don't want to loose weight who eat a Paleo lifestyle - I know people who eat a Paleo way to bulk up since it is dependant on protiens and fats...within the Paleo lifestyle you can certainly restrict calories in order to loose weight.

Because you remove grains for many people it does become a lower carb way of eating...but it is not specifically "lower carb" as many veggies and fruits contain a significant amount of carbs...I could easily eat 300 grams of carbs a day and remain paleo and within my calorie goals for the day...a few pieces of higher carb fruit and some higher carb squash...

as for the idea that people who eat Paleo think food groups rather than excess calories cause obesity is laughable...in the end it is all about energy sources and how your body uses the energy sources you provide it...Some people do just fine eating all sorts of food products and focusing soley on the calories if they are attempting to loose weight - but nnot everyone is the same and for some people it REALLY DOES MATTER what you fuel your body with for long term success....if you don't belive that that then that is your perogative...

Have you actually read the paleo diet protocol, or the creators reasoning behind it?

You do realise that your post contradicts the paleo plan by claiming that nutrients affect people differently?
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anyway, my personal beliefs are that there aren't 'good' or 'bad' foods. There are only correct or incorrect usage and dosage. The paleo designers claim certain 'bad' foods cannot be eaten without weight gain despite the calorie amount.

LOL I agree. My personal belief is that processed food should be ingested in 0 doses and natural unprocessed food taken in whatever doses that provides the right amount of calories and nutrients.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options

Obviously you didn't read my post. It seems your haste to defend your ideology results in you rebutting imaginary claims.

Oh really? So you didn't start off at ALL with "The paleo diet is simply a low carb diet ..." Of course, I may have just imagined that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just please understand what the diet is before you start spewing that is a path to failure. You claim for OP to educate herself, yet you spent less than a couple hours worth of effort to educate yourself. That or you simply dumbed down the diet to make it look bad, in which case I would love to know what horse you have in the race to be willing to simplify something so incorrectly.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i have a gluten allergy so i switched to this diet from a vegetarian one and felt amazing in just 2 days. I've since lost 12 lbs and lots of inches. I have more energy and really enjoy all the meals I make. I dont feel restricted at all. I still consume some cheese and greek yogurt, which isn't strictly paleo but these dont bother me like the grains do.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options

Ditto Buckeye...

Paleo diet really just needs to drop the diet word I guess. Because you're exactly right, it is more a lifestyle change. But I don't expect people to entirely understand that people can change their fuel sources to see different results. (Because ya know, that cheap gas vs premium gas obviously has 0 difference in your car too, it is just more expensive because people are dumb.)
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    i have a gluten allergy so i switched to this diet from a vegetarian one and felt amazing in just 2 days. I've since lost 12 lbs and lots of inches. I have more energy and really enjoy all the meals I make. I dont feel restricted at all. I still consume some cheese and greek yogurt, which isn't strictly paleo but these dont bother me like the grains do.

Awesome job! Dairy seems to be open to "Do you handle dairy okay or not." I handle dairy fine as well and I don't sweat it at all, fits the paleo stuff pretty well. Nice protein and fat. :D
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Before this turns into another paleo diet war: I'm currently on it and love it. Cutting out processed foods and focusing on lean protein, vegetables, fruits, etc is helping me to become more energetic, stronger, and even more regular (I went from going to the bathroom once every 1-2 weeks to once every 1-2 days--sorry to be semi-graphic but this is a huge deal!)

If you're trying to lose weight you just have to watch your calorie intake b/c it can get kind of high.

Otherwise--good luck!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Good points: focuses on whole foods

Bad points: no ice cream
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Apparently the First Nations people's of North America did very well on the Paleo diet. Currently there not doing very well on the SAD diet. Type 2 diabetes is thru the roof. So I speculate that the Paleo diet worked very well for them.:smile: But if most people are happy with the standard american diet and all it's benefit's, then carry on.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    One of my friends suggested this diet. You basically eat meat, fish, nuts, fruits, veggies, and nothing else. What does everyone think about it? Has anyone on here tried it and had success with it?

It seems like a healthy plan. But I think the "paleo" ideology behind it is an unnecessary limitation. For example - whey protein is a lean source of protein, but it is also a processed food and not considered "natural", and so the Paleo diet would restrict that. I think most people on the paleo diet disregard the "could a cave man have gotten this" and still eat whey anyways.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do a modified paleo becuase I eat yogurt and sometimes beans. It's a good thing for me because I have a wheat intolerance and because it's a great way to lose weight without feeling deprived.