SPINNING - How bad?!

Options
Hi,

I really fancy attending a spinning class, but I'm not sure if I'll be fit enough?

I asked some people I know and they said things like: 'Oh it's awful!' 'They lock you into the bike!' 'I'd never go again!'

Which kinda put me off.

What are your personal experiences with spinning? Is it good?

Replies

• Campbellsmith
    Campbellsmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get there a bit early. Make sure the instructor knows you are a first timer. He or she should spend a few minutes with you going over the setup and making you comfortable.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Love spinning. Agree with Campbellsmith, go a bit early and the instructor should spend a little bit of time with you. It is an intense class but it's great. Burns lots of calories.
  • sarajane32
    sarajane32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went for the first time last week and really enjoyed it, Thought it would be alot worse than it was.

I do agree, get there a bit earlier and makes ure the insturctor knows this is your first time.
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    It's bittersweet. When I used to do cardio I really enjoyed spinning because it was intense. Get there on time and the instructor will help you adjust the seat and stuff. Not much to it and if you can't keep up you can always just turn the resistance down and rest a bit! I recommend it though. Good stuff.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I love spin. Yes, it's hard, but isn't that the point? I've improved my fitness so much by going to spin classes......what was once extremely difficult is now much easier.

They don't "lock" you into the bike! You do have straps on your feet, but they are necessary to keep your feet from flying off the pedals. Show up early and talk to the instructor. Most (good) instructors will simply provide encouragement to do your best the first several classes. They shouldn't start pushing you to improve your performance until they know you and what you are capable of.

Edit to say that you will probably be pretty sore for a couple of days afterwards (especially in your lady areas!). Make sure to do plenty of stretching and go for a walk or something light the day or two after class......movement will help ease the pain. And after a few classes, you won't have the discomfort from the seat anymore.
  • jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's a tough workout but you are in control of the resistance on the bike so you can make it easier if you need to. And the seat can make you a little uncomfortable for a day or so afterwards, but you get used to that after a few classes. It took me weeks to get up the nerve to try it because I was so intimidated, but I really liked it.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout! It can get pretty intense.. just make sure to take breaks and stay hydrated when you need to. Also, most instructors at my gym are very reasonable. I always try to keep up with their pace/instruction, but from time-to-time I'll lower my resistance level or pedal at a slower pace to catch my breath. It's certainly worth trying at least once! Also note that at least at my gym, there are some instructors that I REALLY like and some that I really dislike (I can't stay motivated and peddle quickly to a slow Linkin' Park song.. SHEESH!). So, it may even be worth trying it a few times with different instructors to find one you like.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Spin classes are a great workout. You will get out of it exactly what you put in since you have control of the resistance of your bike.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The great thing about spinning is that you can set the resistance for your own fitness level. The more you go and the fitter you get, the more you turn up the resistance. Get ready to be a bit sore in the old gluteus maximus after your first sesssion, but it will soon go.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a love it or hate it kind of class... me, I wouldn't do it again, partly because it was a brutal class (although in a sense I guess that is good) but also because the bike seat on those things is KILLER uncomfortable.
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I attempted using a spin bike at a friends house and thought I was going to kill myself. lol

But I do think it has a learning curve. Your feet do get locked in and if you are use to street bikes it might be bad on your knees (which was my problem, I kept trying to take my foot off of the peddle). With that said I think it is just something to get use to. They have bike pads for the seat if that makes your butt sore. I've been told that it does. Honestly I only did it for about a half hour and it wasn't in a class, just with my friends pointers. My butt was fine the next day, but I do ride a street bike often, so that could be part of it.

Trying something never hurts, you never know what YOU will like until you do it.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What? I've been taking spin for years, I've never been locked into a bike, I'm not even sure what that means. I take classes 2-5 times a week and I think it's the easiest class I take because you go at your own pace and adjust your own bike. Bootcamp and circuit training are much more difficult. Still fun, but more challenging.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I once said I would never do a spin class, several months later tried my first, then my 2nd till I was going regularly 3 x a week

Love it now and its a great cardio/resistence type exercise

1st one is always a killer in any new high energy class
  • LeanMeanFitnessMachine
    Options
    Personally, I can't get enough of it! I wish my gym offered more classes that fit into my schedule. Whats nice about spin is that you go at your own pace - YOU control the resistance, YOU control the speed, YOU decide whether or not to keep going. The instructor is simply there to motivate you to push yourself to the max. The class is as hard as you make it.

I would highly reccommend Spin! You never know until you try, right?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Go, you will be fine.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love Spin Class! Like everyone else said, get there a little early so that you can get the bike set up properly with the instructor and do what you can. If the instructor gives a range for gear and/or RPM stay at the lower end unless you can do more:) Enjoy!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I went to a class once about a month ago, little old me which burns about 600 cals per hour RUNNING burnt 1000 cals in 45 minutes!!

think that shows how it is ;)
    make sure to get the teacher to show you how to set the bike up properly though or those things can be so uncomfortable.
  • flanary888
    flanary888 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love spinning!! Take 2 Tylenol when you get home and it will help with the sore butt. If you are sore more "up front" then that means you are sitting too close and you just need to back up some. It is an intense class, but you listen to your body and only do what you can. You will eventually be able to handle the higher resistances and the faster sprints. It's what helped me lose the weight before I had my daughter. I so wish I had the time to go back to it now!!
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    Love Spin!!

Thoroughly recommend it - yes, it's crazy the first time and you'll have a numb bum.

Plus there's always a crazy person in the class who keeps up with the instructor or beats them. Don't try to copy them, take it at your own pace (PS - I am now that crazy person!!!). You'll be shattered after but its a great feeling.

Make sure you take a towel and water coz you'll need them.

Best exercise I ever did spinning. I miss it loads and can't wait to get back into the classes.

Try it and post to let us know what you thought.
  • natalie0917
    Options
    IM OBSESSED with spin!!! It is tough at first but if you keep going it will get easier!! Good for your core and legs! Keeps you tone and burns lots of calories in a short time!