Lost 15 pounds in one week???

Replies

• SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    I'm going to do more research on this, but just like in our own lives, I don't think for a SECOND that if they are working out that much they aren't eating. That's bull hockey. Sometimes I lose more if I eat more along with my extra exercise. They have it down to a science at Biggest Loser and I think it's awesome. For all of you that think it's stupid because it's reality tv, yea, ok...fine, I get it, but the truth is, there are LOTS of people who have been motivated to get off of their lazy duff and work out because they realize if THAT person can work out, even if it's staged, and lose weight, I CAN TOO. You have to remember, it still took that person's hard work and dedication to actually lose that weight. That is extremely admirable and impressive to me. I don't know how Kim got the 15lbs off, but i am darn proud of her and WAY more happy that she won that dang car than Jeremy or whiny Conda. I don't think anyone should really judge until they walk in their shoes. They ended up on that show because they were ridiculously unhealthy and honestly any one of them could have keeled over and died, so yea, you may think Biggest Loser is a wash and stupid because it's reality TV and I would understand, but you also have to keep in mind, if there is going to be reality TV, I'd rather have it be something motivational and encouraging than stupid Jerseylicious or Keeping Up With The Kardashians---those seem WAY more unrealistic to me. So, if I'm going to weigh the real balances here, well, I'd rather have a show like Biggest Loser to learn from and root for something good than a stupid show that makes me feel like I never have enough, I'm not pretty enough, etc etc. Biggest Loser is awesome because real lives are actually being changed, and not just the contestants on the show.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Well put "skinnyruthy"! I was routing for Kim as well... I have been all season. For some reason she just caught my attention in the beginning and I have stuck with her! I really hope she takes it all!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    If I had someone on my butt pushing me for 8 hours a day, I could lose that too! Plus, she is so muscular, she's got a lot of muscle to work on that fat burning!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    I was wondering the very same thing! She broke into the 140s if I believe?! That can't be healthy to drop it so quickly. I agree with a few others. Sometimes that show makes me feel bad about myself and the rate in which I lose. If I worked out all day with no outside stresses, I bet I could drop it like that too. I also bet that as soon as I returned to the real world I'd gain quickly.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    So I watched the Biggest Loser last night and "Kim" managed to lose 15 pounds in one week... WHAT THE HELL?? How in the world do you lose 15 pounds in one week? She had both arms and legs so I know she didn't cut one off to get to that number... so really just curious how you all think she did this...?

Some of those contestents are over 400lbs, they are huge. They are used to eating everything and anything and not moving about, so as soon as they restrict their calories and start to move about and then start to do stuff in the gym - including running - the weight just falls off.
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    I had to stop watching that show cuz it always made me feel bad about myself. One guy a few years ago lost almost 30 pounds the first week. To my little 1 or 2 pounds I would lose, I felt like crap. Then I just kept telling myself that these people are not working, dealing with family issues, and have personal chef's and trainers there to keep them in line. Ugghhh, I loved the show, but just couldnt take watching it anymore.

I don't watch the program either for the same reason. Like others have said, the people on that show workout ALL DAY LONG and don't have the life distractions we have at home. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to lose 15 lbs in one week though :wink:
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Her previous weight was almost exactly my current weight. When she stepped on that scale I gasped! She lost 15 freaking pounds in one week (or 9 days or whatever) and I've tried for a year with no real success! I was so glad for her and I really hope she's one of the rare ones who keeps it off, though none of them that I know of kept their finale weight. Even the best put a few pounds back on.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    This is why I don't watch biggest loser. You KNOW they aren't doing something right -- meaning they are doing some pretty unhealthy stuff - since they always have a team of doctors waiting in the wings.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Everything I read says not to lose more than a pound or two a week. If we have to create a 500 calorie deficit per day in order to lost a ppound per week..than she had to create 15 times that? I am supposed to consume 1200 caloires and workout 150 hours per week to lose one pound. She had to eat 15 times less and workout 15 times more.

It's on TV so I bet they do all kinds of tricks and stuff like osing all water weight and things like that and then they workout all day. If you workout all day you are burning more than you take in. It cannot be healthy for you though- you do need calories so your organs function and such lol. And if we were to do something like that we'd wind up ganing it all back when we returned to normal (which we have to do if we want to stay alive- we need some calories in order to function!).

I used to love Biggest Loser but I have not watched in a while. I don't think I will either because it would be harder for me to celebrate my 1 lb losses seeing those huge ones.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    ya'll also need to think about it as they have SOOOO much more weight to lose then you do. that is why they are on the show. It seems to me the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it comes off. When i first started going to the gym a couple days a week and watching my calorie intake, i lost 6 pounds the first week. Now i am happy with 1 because i am getting closer to my final pounds.

The thing is that she DOESN'T have much to lose. Seems close to impossible to get such a large calorie deficit at her relatively low weight.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    I've read that people who are involved with the show have stated that their "week" is not always a calendar week. It can be several weeks or less than a week. In this case I'm guessing it was a much longer time frame due to the whole "walkout" thing. No clue how much time was wasted with that and then the scramble to figure out what the powers that be were going to do to save the season. I'm guessing it was at least two weeks, possibly longer. No way could Kim have lost 15 pounds in 7 days at the weight she already was, even with enemas and dehydration.

^this, with the walk out it may have been more like 2 weeks
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    I had to stop watching that show cuz it always made me feel bad about myself. One guy a few years ago lost almost 30 pounds the first week. To my little 1 or 2 pounds I would lose, I felt like crap. Then I just kept telling myself that these people are not working, dealing with family issues, and have personal chef's and trainers there to keep them in line. Ugghhh, I loved the show, but just couldnt take watching it anymore.

i felt exactly the same so i no longer watch it either. We could all be successfull if we had the supports they have
  • filmlova
    filmlova Posts: 2
    I was just Googling to see if I could learn how she did that. At this point, 14 or so weeks into losing weight and her being 162, THERE IS NO HEALTHY WAY she lost 15 lbs in 7 days. I know because I did everything in my power to win The Biggest Loser at my job, including starvation, extreme exercise and the sauna and I could not lose 15 lbs in 7 days, 14 weeks in. Maybe in the first week, you can lose alot of water weight, but not week 14. I've been a loyal watcher of the show, but that was some bull, they're losing me now with all the manipulation.
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member

Exactly. This show is very unrealistic because no ordinary person could do this in real life unless they were rich! I have to do my best to lose weight around my life and that means it's a slow pace. I am not even sure it's really healthy to go from 300 pounds to 150 in a couple months time, even if it is by diet and exercise. It's kind of like being in prison for years and then just being let out, how is anyone supposed to know how to live and take care of themselves to maintain that lifestye? When they get out in the real world no wonder they usually put the weight back on, or end up with some kind of eating disorder because they're afraid to eat anything but rabbit food!

I know a more realistic show probably wouldn't work for the tv producers but it would be nice to watch someone lose weight naturally around a regular schedule, using normal routines..and with no personal trainer or chef!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    I love Biggest Loser, much to my husbands dismay haha

I am not discouraged by her big loss... I was happy she got the biggest loss because I didn't want her off the show. However, it seemed staged... almost impossible with how small she is. But, I could see that she looked so much more toned than she had before so I knew there was a loss... I just had no idea it would be 15 pounds!

Amazing.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    water loading. she only lost 2 pounds her last weigh in

dont forget kim is a former wrestler she probably knows all kinds of tricks to drop pounds fast before a weigh in
  • erv78
    erv78 Posts: 7
    wow that **** cant be healthy!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    I told my husband she would be below the red line. I expected her to lose about 3lbs, because she was so close to being done. But her 15lb loss had me stunned for the rest of the night. I dont get how that was possible. I dont think she's had many numbers that large since being there. So how did she pull it off in the final stretch?
    Something seems off.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    :bigsmile: I was in the gym when it was on. I saw her pulling a car with a harness, and then when she weighed in and had such a big loss, I looked at my trainer and said " do you have a harness? " he said he could get one !!!! wonder how long she actually did pull that car? But she ended up winning it so I guess it was worth it for her. :bigsmile: I don't see losing 15 pounds in one week......
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    If I am not mistaken the thing with weight loss like this is its so sudden that it goes back on very easily. A lot of the contestants that you never see again gain a good portion of the weight back. They no longer have access to all the amazing equipment, personal trainers, nutritionists and food for that matter. Same thing goes for us in real life who find the instant weight loss stuff and use it. This is not a regular lifestyle activity and weight comes back quick.

With MFP and the friends here we take it slowly one step at a time 3 to 5 lbs at a time. Slowly we change our lives and our bodies and then we maintain them. It is easier for us to keep the weight off once its gone because we do it the right way without the overproduction of T.V. We lose weight a day at time while still working, raising kids and living normal lives. they can keep their 15 lbs in week weight loss. I am willing to bet they gain a lot more back before we do!

Nicely said!!