Secret Dieting

Options
So on and off for the past 10 years I've tried many different diets. Each time announcing to friends and family that this is the time. I get going hard and fast and burn out within a week. Then I get frustrated, everyone is asking me about my diet and I have to shamefully tell them I've quit because it was too hard.

Well this time I'm dieting in secret. I want to avoid the embarassment of having tell everyone I've failed again. I'm just eating healthier, smaller portions, exercising when no one is around and wearing the same clothes. This Friday will mark 8 weeks that I've been on the ball. New habits have been formed and I think its getting easier the longer I do it. I'm hoping I can stick with it this time and finally get down to a healthy weight.

Does anyone else struggle with feeling like you're being judged everytime you quit/restart your diet? Do you keep quiet on your eating habits to avoid "should you be eating THAT" and similar comments? Did it work for you?

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    That is because dieting does not work. Overhaul your life, the way you eat / see food and you will see results. Food is not the enemy. Add exercise and learn to love it (find an exercise program that keeps you interested). It is all about your mindset.

I think most of us have been there. Some newbies are still there. But once you stop seeing eating/exercising as a chore or diet, it will be second nature. You just have to find what works for you. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I used to do that when I looked at dieting as a temporary thing. But then I decided to make my health a priority and started eating heatlhy most the time. So, now when I gain a few pounds I don't really change my diet.

It's always because I've slacked off on exercise so I just get back on track with that. And if someone notices a loss and asks I just say "I've been dong Zumba" (or whatever exercise I've been doing).
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't tell people I am on a diet, I just say I have changed my eating habits.
  • pgfatty
    pgfatty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also dont tell anyone im on a diet...

people add too much pressure on you.

i just say im eating healthily and if i do get any comments on weightloss i appreciate it.

if they dont know u on a diet and say u look like you lost weight u know u definately doing something right :D
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am not telling many people. My hubby and bff and 2 other people "know". it's been 3 weeks for me and I keep thinking, this feels different. When people ask, I'm gonna tell them about my hard work.

Good job on 8 weeks!
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    That is because dieting does not work. Overhaul your life, the way you eat / see food and you will see results. Food is not the enemy. Add exercise and learn to love it (find an exercise program that keeps you interested). It is all about your mindset.

I think most of us have been there. Some newbies are still there. But once you stop seeing eating/exercising as a chore or diet, it will be second nature. You just have to find what works for you. Good luck :flowerforyou:

I totally agree with this! In the past I've been restricting calories like crazy, eating WAY under my BMR. This time, I'm doing it for my health and nothing else. So I'm eating way more than I normally would. I feel so fulfilled and never really get hungry (unless I don't space my meals out well). If I want to have something "bad" I do it, and move on, guilt-free. Food is not my enemy!
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    After so many failed attempts at dieting over the years, my mom doesn't believe I'm going to stick with this. She constantly asks my fiance'(who is also eating healthy) if we want to come over for burgers, go out to eat mexican, etc. She also never forgets to tell me "yeah you're looking good, but make sure to keep it up this time." I know it's my fault for causing her to doubt me, but it's getting verrryyy annoying. I understand how you are feeling.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to tell people I would 'diet' when I was planning to change my eating habits, eating healthier etc.
    the responses I got were either pessimistic from the start or overly helpful! You can't really enjoy yourself if you have one or two friends constantly watching you and asking you "Can you eat that? Aren't you watching your weight?"

This time I around, I've been telling people (if they ask) that I'm changing my entire eating habits and lifestyle. I'm not dieting - this is forever! It seems to keep people away from being overly judging. They're mostly impressed and supportive. The few that are already saying I can't do it can just go to.. some really notnice places.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    I used to tell people I would 'diet' when I was planning to change my eating habits, eating healthier etc.
    the responses I got were either pessimistic from the start or overly helpful! You can't really enjoy yourself if you have one or two friends constantly watching you and asking you "Can you eat that? Aren't you watching your weight?"

This time I around, I've been telling people (if they ask) that I'm changing my entire eating habits and lifestyle. I'm not dieting - this is forever! It seems to keep people away from being overly judging. They're mostly impressed and supportive. The few that are already saying I can't do it can just go to.. some really notnice places.
    Oh boy, I have a friend who told me right to my face that I'm going to fail because I've made too many quick changes. She also has been trying to get me to eat all of the unhealthy foods that she enjoys. I guess some people THINK they aren't strong enough to make a lifestyle change to benefit their health so they have to try and stop others who are making that change.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

So true. The last two or three times I worked on making changes to my diet but living with my ex who loved eating out almost every meal made it so hard. Now that I live alone and my current flame is completely supportive, it makes everything a lot easier.

I've started running and for something I HATED in high school, I actually kind of enjoy my time in the park. I can go at my own pace with no else to keep up with or time limits to worry about. I've ran more miles in the last 8 weeks then I think I ever did in high school (with the exception of sports).

Thanks!
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Does anyone else struggle with feeling like you're being judged everytime you quit/restart your diet? Do you keep quiet on your eating habits to avoid "should you be eating THAT" and similar comments? Did it work for you?
    I never tell people any more when I change my eating habits (lets not use the 'd' word ;) ) It drives me NUTS when people comment on my food choices and this way I can just get on with it without anyone passing judgement/offering advice, etc.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Oh boy, I have a friend who told me right to my face that I'm going to fail because I've made too many quick changes. She also has been trying to get me to eat all of the unhealthy foods that she enjoys. I guess some people THINK they aren't strong enough to make a lifestyle change to benefit their health so they have to try and stop others who are making that change.

It also doesn't help when your friends are like, good for you! Then immediately suggests going out to eat or running through the drive thru. They just don't seem to be aware that even if they don't want to eat right, suggesting fast food is NOT helping.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP since august of 2010 and I STILL get those stupid comments! Grrr! "Can you eat that on your diet?" "Are you gonna put that in your food diary?" Makes me nuts. Of course the answer is always a gentle smile and "yes, I will log it" and "it's not a diet, I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my calories for the day". There are people who refuse to believe I didn't give up stuff. I never told these people I was "dieting" but with success came all the "how did you do it?!""What's your SECRET?!" questions.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

I never tell people any more when I change my eating habits (lets not use the 'd' word ;) ) It drives me NUTS when people comment on my food choices and this way I can just get on with it without anyone passing judgement/offering advice, etc.

I can't stand when someone says dumb stuff. I drink diet soda because I like it and hate regular soda so I get, "oh you're on a diet?" Comments when I order it or buy it.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I've been doing MFP since august of 2010 and I STILL get those stupid comments! Grrr! "Can you eat that on your diet?" "Are you gonna put that in your food diary?" Makes me nuts. Of course the answer is always a gentle smile and "yes, I will log it" and "it's not a diet, I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my calories for the day". There are people who refuse to believe I didn't give up stuff. I never told these people I was "dieting" but with success came all the "how did you do it?!""What's your SECRET?!" questions.

People don't have much to say when you tell them you did it by eating right and exercise. Its always kind of a frown and a quiet "oh" with a change of topic lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've started running and for something I HATED in high school, I actually kind of enjoy my time in the park. I can go at my own pace with no else to keep up with or time limits to worry about. I've ran more miles in the last 8 weeks then I think I ever did in high school (with the exception of sports).

*******Warning********* Running is addictive (in a good way)

I chuckled when I read that because it could have been me writing it. I hated running in HS, I hated running in the army (and we did a lot of it....) and when I started running a few years ago it was more a case of knowing it was good for me - I was probably more surprised than anyone when I found I liked it.

Like you said in your OP, it's a matter of forming new habits. Keep up the good work!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

*******Warning********* Running is addictive (in a good way)

I chuckled when I read that because it could have been me writing it. I hated running in HS, I hated running in the army (and we did a lot of it....) and when I started running a few years ago it was more a case of knowing it was good for me - I was probably more surprised than anyone when I found I liked it.

Like you said in your OP, it's a matter of forming new habits. Keep up the good work!

When I saw you posted I was ready for that silver tongue lol but thanks for the encouragement! I think of running as my real life video game, trying to add a quarter mile every week. I'm hoping to run a 5k someday so I've got some work to do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    After so many failed attempts at dieting over the years, my mom doesn't believe I'm going to stick with this. She constantly asks my fiance'(who is also eating healthy) if we want to come over for burgers, go out to eat mexican, etc. She also never forgets to tell me "yeah you're looking good, but make sure to keep it up this time." I know it's my fault for causing her to doubt me, but it's getting verrryyy annoying. I understand how you are feeling.

“It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.”
    Vince Lombardi
  • MoeNificent
    MoeNificent Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tell those closetst to me (and those that i know will be supportive) so they can hold me accountable. But co-workers, acquaintances, everyday joes....none of their business! Good luck!
  • danellekay
    Options
    I to just do it quietly and then wait and see if anyone notices the weight loss. Then I feel really good about my changes!