Carbs too high on vegitarian diet

2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    BTW, you are a pescetarian. :smile:
    hey, I'm a meatarian. :happy:

:laugh: I'm just your average all around omnivore.
    Labels, labels and more labels.....it's like the top ten best, it just has to be. :devil:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    I'm trying to go vegitarian, (fish only for protein)
    Vegetarians don't eat fish.
    They do if you find the right tree.

[img]http://files.myopera.com/14ansir/albums/8223682/A fish on a tree.jpg[/img]
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Sorry. I don't know why I thought vegitarians ate fish just not red meat and poultry. I stand corrected. Just remembered it's vegans that eat no meat products whatsoever. So, I guess I am doing a vegetable, fruit and fish diet.

Ugh.

Traditional vegetarians eat no meat. Vegans eat/wear no animal products whatsoever.

When I was vegetarian I had problems getting enough protein, getting to many carbs, and the estrogens from so much soy affected my hormones. I'd never be vegetarian again.

It sounds like you were doing the vegetarian thing wrong, love. A lot of people hop into it without doing their homework and end up exactly where it sounds like you landed. Now, I know that I am not a perfect example of a vegetarian because DW & I are what is apparently termed "Flexitarian"-- that means that we eat as vegetarians most of the time but usually do one or two meals a week that include either fish or chicken. I expect, however, that we will slide closer to true vegetarianism as time goes by. Too much garbage in most meats--not to mention how horribly the vast majority of animal stock is treated. We get plenty of protein from Leafy Greens, Legumes (mostly Lentils), fermented soy products (Tempeh and Tofu) and are planning on trying Seitan in the near future.

You would be surprised how much protein is in the Leafy Greens--at least, I was. See here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/398928-list-of-protein-rich-leafy-vegetables/

As for the Estrogen/Soy thing, So long as you avoid highly-processed soy products (mostly protein powders) and GMO soy in general, there is no problem with Estrogen. However, this is one of the more hotly debated subjects and I know that many will disagree with me on this point. The main thing is that you don't need to eat as much soy as some people think you do. Milk? DW & I either make our own Almond milk or buy it if we are having a busy week.

I do want to be clear that I am not saying you need to give it another go. All I want to do is clear up a few things that are commonly misunderstood with plant-based nutrition.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

THANK.YOU.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    pescetarian -- I did it for a while -- you are going to go up on carbs -- I did and now I'm back to eating grilled chicken to avoid that

This is pretty much why I didn't make it as a pesce.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    When I was vegetarian I had problems getting enough protein, getting to many carbs, and the estrogens from so much soy affected my hormones. I'd never be vegetarian again.

You did it wrong.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    I'm sure this will fail to get the thread back on topic, but I'm going to give it a shot...

Since I've gone mostly-veg my carbs have been a little on the high side but I do manage to stay within the MFP target for the most part. It just becomes more important to find healthy food that's higher in one or both of the other macro's... high-fat like nuts and avocados, high-protein like beans, lentils, soy, seitan which I'm not personally a fan of. If you allow dairy, low fat cheese and eggs are really really handy.

Like someone said upthread, when you start eating all plant-based food there's basically no way to avoid carbs. That's what plants are. So it takes some planning. You could have nothing but french fries and beer and be vegan, just don't be surprised when the gut doesn't go anywhere.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    pescetarian -- I did it for a while -- you are going to go up on carbs -- I did and now I'm back to eating grilled chicken to avoid that

haha i just really like my protein - i still dont eat red meat -- - that i'm finding pretty easy :)
  • LaurieMaynard
    LaurieMaynard Posts: 18 Member
    I have been a vegetarian for about a month now and have not had a problem getting more than enough protein. In fact, I seem to be getting more protein now than I ever did! I am generally over my daily counts. My carbs don't seem to be an issue either. I hadn't really been paying attention to them, but as I look back on my diary now I can see that I have been at, or below my daily amounts on a regular basis. My diet is mostly vegetables and beans for lunch and dinner. For snacks I eat egg whites and almonds. I also include a protein shake a day (Vega One) and Hemp hearts. So far so good!
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    I'm vegetarian (NO FISH!!!) and eat mostly vegan. I don't really eat that many carbs but I don't care if I eat 'too many' as what is too many to one person might not be to another. I eat a lot of beans, chickpeas, lentils, tofu etc. If I make, say, a potato and chickpea curry, I don't have any carbs with it as I don't need them to fill me up. I try to stay away from refined carbs like white bread but I don't see the point in starving yourself either, just to meet an arbitrary number.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    They do if you find the right tree.

[img]http://files.myopera.com/14ansir/albums/8223682/A fish on a tree.jpg[/img]
    LOL!!!
  • dafoots0911
    I'm sure this will fail to get the thread back on topic, but I'm going to give it a shot...

Since I've gone mostly-veg my carbs have been a little on the high side but I do manage to stay within the MFP target for the most part. It just becomes more important to find healthy food that's higher in one or both of the other macro's... high-fat like nuts and avocados, high-protein like beans, lentils, soy, seitan which I'm not personally a fan of. If you allow dairy, low fat cheese and eggs are really really handy.

Like someone said upthread, when you start eating all plant-based food there's basically no way to avoid carbs. That's what plants are. So it takes some planning. You could have nothing but french fries and beer and be vegan, just don't be surprised when the gut doesn't go anywhere.
    Thanks, I needed to hear that.
  • dafoots0911

haha i just really like my protein - i still dont eat red meat -- - that i'm finding pretty easy :)
    I have a feeling that's the direction I will be heading.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I'm a pescetarian. That's someone who eats fish as their only meat source. I've been eating a higher protein diet lately. If you'd like to take a look at my food diary for ideas, you're perfectly welcome to it. I don't eat "clean" though.

My main protein sources are cheese, eggs, tuna, shrimp, edamane, tofu, protein powders and bars.