When the women's locker room becomes daycare

Options
melbot24
melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
So, I'm curious about your opinion on this...

I go to the gym every day after work. That's about 5 times a week. Each day I go, there's a young girl, she's about 10-12 years old, if I had to guess...who comes to the gym with her mom and sits in the girls locker room while her mother works out. She usually hangs around the carpeted stretching area and does homework, listens to music, watches tv, etc. This girl is in there every time I'm at the gym. She's there when I arrive and still there 1.5-2 hrs later when I leave. Now, the gym I go to doesn't offer child care and the women's locker room is definitely, not by any means, luxurious. It's as standard as they come. Usually gets smelly and dank. Loud. Basically, it's not anywhere I would want to spend my weekday evenings.

Let me get to the point here; I feel sorry for the girl. It makes me sad that she has to spend her evenings there waiting for her mom to workout in an atmosphere that's loud, stinky, humid, etc. I know I should probably just stay out of it and my opinions on the matter aren't fuller developed other than I just feel plain sympathy for the girl. I don't know what the circumstances are, whether she's been asked to workout with her mother, whether she actually likes it, etc.

Tell me what you think...
I'm especially curious to hear from those of you with children

What do you think about this?
Do you only go to gyms that offer child care?
How do you get your workouts in when you're responsible for a child?

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I went to the gym with my mom and did homework in the children's center...I actually have never attended a gym that didn't offer child care. I would feel bad for the girl too, I mean, if she's what, 12ish, she's probably old enough to stay home by herself, right? I know I stayed home alone when I was 12...

I feel like if you have children (that are not old enough to stay home alone for a few hours), childcare should be a decision making factor in choosing a gym. I realize that that might mean a more expensive gym, but I don't really think it's fair for that girl to have to sit in a locker room that's as you described, unless she enjoys it, or unless she's maybe grounded or something.

I attend Lifetime Fitness, which I'll admit is probably more luxurious than I need it to be, but it has everything I could possibly want or need in a gym. A huge childcare facility with an indoor and outdoor playground, movies, computers (only equipped with children's games), a basketball court, etc. Plus if your kids are old enough you can sign a permission form allowing them to attend kid's yoga or use the rock climbing wall (with an instructor) while you work out. This was a HUGE deal to me when I was shopping around for a gym, and my son actually asks me now when I pick him up from school if we can go to the gym (he's 5).
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a personal decision of what to do, for me personally, I honestly won't take my kids -- even to the ones that have childcare. I work which means I've got 4 hours an night with them by the time I get home. Even an hour would be 25% less time with my kids. Not doing it.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    that's along time to leave a child in a locker room where strangers come and go. Hoepfully sh ecan find a gym with daycare or at least a childrens area.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I went to the gym with my mom and did homework in the children's center...I actually have never attended a gym that didn't offer child care. I would feel bad for the girl too, I mean, if she's what, 12ish, she's probably old enough to stay home by herself, right? I know I stayed home alone when I was 12...

I feel like if you have children (that are not old enough to stay home alone for a few hours), childcare should be a decision making factor in choosing a gym. I realize that that might mean a more expensive gym, but I don't really think it's fair for that girl to have to sit in a locker room that's as you described, unless she enjoys it, or unless she's maybe grounded or something.

I attend Lifetime Fitness, which I'll admit is probably more luxurious than I need it to be, but it has everything I could possibly want or need in a gym. A huge childcare facility with an indoor and outdoor playground, movies, computers (only equipped with children's games), a basketball court, etc. Plus if your kids are old enough you can sign a permission form allowing them to attend kid's yoga or use the rock climbing wall (with an instructor) while you work out. This was a HUGE deal to me when I was shopping around for a gym, and my son actually asks me now when I pick him up from school if we can go to the gym (he's 5).

Yeah, I think Lifetime Fitness would be a much better option!
    It sounds pretty awesome.

It's been months that I've seen this girl - so hopefully she's not being punished!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    That's a very selfish Mom.

She should either find a gym that allows her child to become a member, or a gym with other activities and/or daycare. In either case, she shouldn't be allowed to hang out in the locker room.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I feel so GUILTY when I work out because I feel like I should be placing my priorities on my parenting. That said, I swim twice a week on my own, because if I don't take care of me, I can't take care of those around me. I also go to the pool on weekends WITH my son for fun family activity time and do a "playground" workout, where I strength condition at the park (and then we hangout and play together when I'm done.)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why the 10-12 year old isn't working out? Seems like it could be a good opportunity to start developing good habits.

That type of issue isn't relevant at the gym I go to.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    So, I'm curious about your opinion on this...

I go to the gym every day after work. That's about 5 times a week. Each day I go, there's a young girl, she's about 10-12 years old, if I had to guess...who comes to the gym with her mom and sits in the girls locker room while her mother works out. She usually hangs around the carpeted stretching area and does homework, listens to music, watches tv, etc. This girl is in there every time I'm at the gym. She's there when I arrive and still there 1.5-2 hrs later when I leave. Now, the gym I go to doesn't offer child care and the women's locker room is definitely, not by any means, luxurious. It's as standard as they come. Usually gets smelly and dank. Loud. Basically, it's not anywhere I would want to spend my weekday evenings.

Let me get to the point here; I feel sorry for the girl. It makes me sad that she has to spend her evenings there waiting for her mom to workout in an atmosphere that's loud, stinky, humid, etc. I know I should probably just stay out of it and my opinions on the matter aren't fuller developed other than I just feel plain sympathy for the girl. I don't know what the circumstances are, whether she's been asked to workout with her mother, whether she actually likes it, etc.

Tell me what you think...
    I'm especially curious to hear from those of you with children

What do you think about this?
    Do you only go to gyms that offer child care?
    How do you get your workouts in when you're responsible for a child?

How about you volunteer to be a like a big sister to the kid and give up your workout?

I just saw "Slum dog Millionaire" again the other day. I feel sorry for THOSE kids.

My gym wouldn't go for it cause that's a libel type situation and those *kitten* are really cheap. They don't even let kids on the gym floor.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    12 year olds usually have more than an hour of homework a night, if she is able to get her work done there and doesnt mind the smelly nature of locker room (kids are much less likley to notice that sort of thing) then i wouldnt jump to conclusions about her and her mom. instead of being home but not interacting at all while the daughter does her homework, they both get what they need, if she is a single mom or if dad works evening shifts then this could be the only opportunity for mom to exercise

people shouldnt jump to conclusions about what kind of flexibility the mom has to choose another gym be it due to the location of other gym options and/or financial contraints (her work may have a deal with this gym, you have no idea what went in to the decision making process that resulted in what you see).

she is also teaching her daughter several subtle but important lessons here
    1.value your health
    2. make the most of what you have available to you
    3. make a plan and stick to it
    4. set long term goals and work hard for them.

these are all important lessons she is likely modeling for her daughter, whether they realize it or not.

doesnt sound ideal on the surface but there are many factors i can easily imagine that make that scenario seem perfectly fine or at the worst, the best they could/better than the alternative.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for her too.

Maybe you should start talking to her, or at least saying hi.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That just isn't right.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    12 year olds usually have more than an hour of homework a night, if she is able to get her work done there and doesnt mind the smelly nature of locker room (kids are much less likley to notice that sort of thing) then i wouldnt jump to conclusions about her and her mom. instead of being home but not interacting at all while the daughter does her homework, they both get what they need, if she is a single mom or if dad works evening shifts then this could be the only opportunity for mom to exercise

people shouldnt jump to conclusions about what kind of flexibility the mom has to choose another gym be it due to the location of other gym options and/or financial contraints (her work may have a deal with this gym, you have no idea what went in to the decision making process that resulted in what you see).

1.value your health

these are all important lessons she is likely modeling for her daughter, whether they realize it or not.

doesnt sound ideal on the surface but there are many factors i can easily imagine that make that scenario seem perfectly fine or at the worst, the best they could/better than the alternative.

THIS.
    The child is doing her homework, which is a very good thing. If there is a question she has, there is more than just mom/dad there to help, which gives the possibility to expand her knowledge more than mindlessly searching the Internet (and maybe getting distracted like I am now...)
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know that in England it's illegal to leave children under the age of 14 at home on their own...
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I prefer when a womans locker room becomes like the changing station for the dancers at Marks Show Place!!
  • Susancharlotte
    Options

1.value your health

• slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options

I agree with this. We belong to a more expensive gym that has junior fitness, so while I am working out my kids are working out and they love it. I feel guilty going after working all day, but in the long run it is the only way I can get my workout in sometimes and my kids will appreciate having a healthy mom.

I would never leave my kids in a locker room and it is probably against the rules of the gym and should be reported. Most gyms have liability insurance that make it clear where children under the age of 14 can and cannot be. It is not safe for the girl to be there alone, unsupervised.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This would never happen in the mens locker room.
    The old naked coots would want to show the little kid how to fly fish, or tell them war stories.

next time, try telling the girl war stories.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Okay in the very same town I live in there is only 1 gym that offers childcare and they don't offer it all day, not to mention they don't allow anyone under 16yrs to work out in their gym. Also not everyone has someone that can watch their children whenever necessary or that is reliable, trust worthy, etc. My daughter is 9, she looks like she is older, like 12. And you don't know if the mother checks on her every 15 minutes or whatever. I am just saying it isn't always that easy or simple.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a personal decision of what to do, for me personally, I honestly won't take my kids -- even to the ones that have childcare. I work which means I've got 4 hours an night with them by the time I get home. Even an hour would be 25% less time with my kids. Not doing it.

This. I wouldn't waste a significant percentage of the time I get with my children going to a gym.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Maybe Mom/Dad work at the gym and have permission/agreement that the child can 'hang-out' while said parent works?

Yes, I would feel sorry if she is there while the parent is working out, for hours, but maybe there is more to the story?

I would love to be a fitness instructor, but the classes I want to teach are typically at places that don't have child care. I was told I could leave my son (7) in the lobby area if/when I taught a class. This could be what is going on... Just thoughts from a single parent.