Advise Polar Heart Rate Monitor

Options

Replies

• Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    FT7 here and love it. It calculates much less calories burned than my bodybugg, but I'm ok with that. Rather err on the low side rather than the high side.

If I could get away with wearing it for kickboxing, I would.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I also have the FT7. My only complaint is that sometimes the chest strap either fails or the watch does and it drops my heart rate to 00 or raises it up to something ridiculous like 241. When it works, it's fantastic.

Have been havin this issue myself. I wash it after every use and also do a weekly washing with the laundry. So I'm wondering if it's time for a battery change.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So I am curious. Is the Polar HRM the same as the bodybugg or fitbit or bodymedia or link?

I so want something like this but I am not sure if they all do the same thing. I want to see how many calories I burn all day, every day doing different things and sleeping. I also would like a pedometer to track steps.

I have an older version of Polar HRM, it does not track sleeping. I cannot give advice on the rest, but heard a lot of good compliments on the fitbit and bodymedia.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Everyone loves Polar, I did too until I discovered Suunto. I feel all around it is a superior HRM, across all their lines. From ease of use to cosmetics. I wear mine swimming and have done so for over a year. The FT7 was nice and there is certainly nothing wrong with it, I just prefer the Suunto. The chest strap is also far more comfortable.

Wow, they are more expensive than Polar for like features!

At least you can enter in all needed info if you just want cal estimates. Age, gender, weight, and max HR. They leave out height, so they are estimating a base BMR to do calc's off of a tad rougher.

Or, they are calc'ing VO2max based on age and MHR, and then using that in formula's.

But I didn't see where their 3 cheapest HRM's had some of the features as Polar's 3 cheapest. And they go up much faster for the more full-featured ones.

That said, would like to try one for the interval timer and dual display.

Hate how the Polar puts HR on one section, stopwatch on another.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I am curious. Is the Polar HRM the same as the bodybugg or fitbit or bodymedia or link?

I so want something like this but I am not sure if they all do the same thing. I want to see how many calories I burn all day, every day doing different things and sleeping. I also would like a pedometer to track steps.

A HRM is ONLY for exercise if you are talking about calorie burns.

The formula's used are only for use in the aerobic zone, anything too low, below about 90 bpm, or anaerobic, sprints and weight lifting, are outside it's purpose.

The daily stuff though, is not nearly as accurate on the true workouts, because they don't know your intensity from HR, which they don't know. They are decent for walking and slow jogging, and of course the daily stuff.

FitBit probably right up your alley.

But think to, using MFP, what will change if you know how much you burn each day? The knowledge, or anything to do with it?
    Many seem to be mostly inspired by the pedometer part of it, trying to walk more.
    Knowing their daily calories hasn't changed their diet or eating approach sadly, usually still too low. So they know a number now.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I started by getting a FitBit and that helped me to get up off my lazy butt and get moving. After a while DW and I decided that it would be a good idea to start doing regular workouts. So we started looking for HRMs. I debated between the FT-7 and the FT-40. I ended up with the FT-40 because of the fitness test ability. I love both my FitBit and my HRM, they have been a huge help.

I wear my FitBit all day and only remove it when I am doing Cardio/Strength workouts and am wearing my HRM.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    FT4 and lovin it!
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    FT4!

Love it!!! :love:

Made especially for gals, and it's easy to use, too.
  • Charliesuccess
    Charliesuccess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    FT4 has been my best buddy!
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I wanted the FT7 but hated the colours, so I got an FT4. I love it!!!!! (once I figured out how to lock the buttons during a workout).
    Make sure you check for what you need - not all have interval/lap timing, which some people want.

How do you lock the buttons?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4 and love it!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    LOVE my FT40!!

Got it brand new on Ebay for $80 with shipping!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have the FT7 and I just changed the battery on the wrist unit as well as the chest strap myself (above poster mentioned you have to take it to a shop to change the battery). Maybe I wasn't 'supposed' to but it had 'open and shut' directions on the battery lids so I went ahead and changed those myself.

The FT7 is wonderful! I use it for Kickboxing, HIIT's and similar workouts, couldn't have asked for better in that price range. Very accurate and very comfortable. I would highly recommend the FT7!

The back will NOT come off the transmitter...I`ve tried everything..

I have the FT40 and LOVE it. I couldn't get the back cover off of my transmitter either. Finally my husband stuck a screw driver through it and got it off . . . but he wouldn't have done this if I didn't have the cover from my last one sitting right beside me. I don't know why it's such an issue with this one, I completly stripped it trying to remove it.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lol i loved the FT7 colours that was weird
    It has great reporting on it too, daily, weekly burn n what not, and splits your workout into fat burn/fitness by time

@mruntidy: I wanted pink (but I can see why you wouldn't). Also, I LOVE your screen name... Kinda wish I'd thought of it first.
    How do you lock the buttons?

@ Jocelynna: To lock: Hold down the top left hand button until the option appears, then the center right button to select.

To unlock: Repeat
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    LOVE my FT4 :love:

$62 with no shipping at Bodytronics.com. It shows calories burned and tracks my workouts.
  • Specialkayrina
    Specialkayrina Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love my FT40!
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Azdak's blog gives some good advice regarding HRMs. I ended up getting a Polar FT40 after reading it.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have a FT4 and after 3 weeks, it doesn't work correctly! I would APPRECIATE any advice!
  • NosaltSteph
    NosaltSteph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4..love it!!