**READ THIS** Figuring out your calorie goals

Options
I hope he doesn't mind! The "In place of a road map" thread that Helloitsdan started a few weeks ago has been EXTREMELY helpful to many of us. I still see other members asking questions that this thread could help the info presented in that thread can help them answer, so I wanted to start a new thread with the info.

I merely copied and pasted Helloitsdan's OP on the subject of figuring out calorie goals. Here it is:

This is the best I can do!

I'll hand you the tools for a successful and sustainable diet that you can use and manipulate to achieve your goals.
If you are looking to lose weight, you just eat the calories given by doing the simple math and following the directions on the page.
If you are looking to maintain weight, you add 20% to the number given and youll know approximately what your TDEE is.
The link is at the bottom of this grand post!

I've said it several times here on this forum and i'll say it again and again:

True dieting needs the knowledge of 3 very important numbers.

1) TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
This is the amount of calories you burn all day.
From before you wake up in the morning and pee to the time you lay your head down at night to sleep and into the night.
One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a post on the forum or on someones Diary "Ugh! I feel sooo guilty because I went over calories today!" when the person went over a few cals over a 40% cut from TDEE.

Knowing TDEE allows you to understand that anything above TDEE is a surplus and you will "eventually" gain weight.
Anything at TDEE you maintain weight.
Anything below TDEE you lose weight to an extent. (see BMR)

2) BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate or RMR Resting Metabolic Rate.
If you were in a coma and in the hospital, the doctors would feed you your BMR in calories.
This ensures you have enough nutrients for vital organs to function.
http://www.brighthubeducation.com/science-homework-help/107443-ten-essential-organs-in-the-human-body/
This is just a small list of vital organs in the human body.
Eating at BMR and staying in bed should maintain things as long as you do nothing at all.
Most people who start using MFP dont really understand the importance of this BMR number.
They jump in with both feet thinking "I'm going to lose soooooo much weight and be fantastic!"
What they dont understand is by not eating back calories from working out, they are netting below BMR.
The only people who should be eating below BMR are folks who have had Gastric Bypass, 500-700 cals/day, or people who are morbidly obese and only for an extremely short time and only prescribed by their "Nutritionist".

Most people who eat at or below BMR will lose weight for a short time.
20-50% of most weight lost on a Very Low Calorie Diet is from Lean Mass.
This is the opposite of true dieting.
Most people who diet want to have better looking bodies and live a healthy life.
They want to reduce fat mass and raise lean mass.
Eating at BMR or lower actually maintains fat mass while dropping lean mass.

If the body does not get enough energy from calories in, it will seek ways to slow itself down.
Leptin levels drop, cortisol levels rise.
Anabolism stops and catabolism begins.
The body switches gears hormonally and tries to maintain fat, a non active tissue that stores energy, by burning lean mass, an active tissue that uses calories.
So in essence fat mass starts to stay the same while lean mass drops.
You can see how this can extend your dietary lifestyle right?

Eating at or below BMR with intentions to eat back calories from working out is a convoluted way of thinking.
We should be eating the proper amount of nutrients first, then creating a deficit with our workouts!
That way if you miss a workout, you still have the proper nutrients in your system.
Youll actually have more energy eating right and sleeping right than if you jumped into a VLCD.
This has been proven!

3) Body Fat%
So many people dont really know what their body fat% is.
I'm shocked every time I ask a member and they dont have a clue!
Some people dont even know what a safe BF% should be!

Athletes (6-13% for men, 16-20% for women)
Fitness (14-17% for men, 21-24% for women)
Acceptable (18-25% for men, 25-31% for women)
Obese (25%+ for men, 32%+ for women)

A good way to diet correctly is to set a body fat% goal as opposed to a weight goal.
The human body fluctuates up to 5lbs on average daily!
That would drive any person crazy who likes jumping on the scale every 30 mins!
Measuring body fat is a more sane approach to the diet.
Expecting a 2-5% change in a month is certainly acceptable in the lower ranges.
In the higher ranges it really depends on your BF%, macronutrients and workout routine.
An interesting paper written by Martin Berkhan, creator of www.LeanGains.com talks about the amount of fat the human body can burn in a day. After reading it I started working out 3 times a week and had better results than working out 5 days a week.
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=160054937436250

Understanding body fat and how you lose it will certainly keep you from hopping on the scale every day and probably have you running up to GNC for a handy set of calipers $20.

So now that I have given you the 3 most important numbers to always know while dieting, i'll give you a good source to figure all this information out on your own.
This was the first source I used to help myself and countless others to lose weight.
Once you have this link you can keep using it as you drop weight and body fat to recalculate your numbers.
Remember that as lean mass rises and fat mass drops, youll have different nutritional needs!

To truly benefit from a FAT BURNING program you will need to have some type of resistance training.
If you are not lifting weights or doing body weight workouts, you will have a very hard time maintaining lean mass while in a caloric deficit.
I always suggest for gym goers, the Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength programs.
Both teach basic compound moves and can help catapult your strength.
I'm sure you can find many other lifting programs but do keep in mind, if you lift Minnie Mouse dumbbells youll have Minnie Mouse muscles. =D

Cardio is great for accelerated fat loss but if you are overweight or obese I would only recommend a brisk walk.
Every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back.
Once you get down to an acceptable BF level then run to your hearts content.

So here is the link.
Use it in good health!

visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
The Military BF calc is accurate up to about 2%.
The BMR tool will give EXACT calories to eat on a daily basis.
This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR.
Add 20% to suggested calories to know your TDEE.
Use the Katch McGardle BMR number to know your BMR.
Never eat at or below BMR.
For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat.
This % is only because MFP wont allow single %.

For more fine tuned macronutrients.....
1g Protein per lean body mass or total goal weight.
.35-.60g Fat per LBM or total goal weight.

Most of the time these numbers are close to 30% of total daily cals.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
If I missed something important please let me know.

Hugs!
=D

"Great bodies are built in the kitchen and while we sleep! Everything else is secondary."

Replies

• Mommyof3texans
    Options
    bump for good info :)
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    This has always confused me. My BMR is 1552 so I should have this as my daily goal and work out to decrease this? So if I went for a bike ride somedays I would knock 800 off that easy. Do I have to eat the extra 800 cals...else I am going to get ill from eating way over my norm..x
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    Bump
  • sissypunks
    Options
    bump
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tamspat
    tamspat Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This has always confused me. My BMR is 1552 so I should have this as my daily goal and work out to decrease this? So if I went for a bike ride somedays I would knock 800 off that easy. Do I have to eat the extra 800 cals...else I am going to get ill from eating way over my norm..x

Yes eat them, as you should not net below BMR. doing what you suggest would be like eating 752 (1552-800) and not exercising, which is missing the point of eating at least BMR.

If you regularly burn 800 cals say 5 days/week your average daily TDEE would be 1552*1.2 + 571 (800*5/7) = 2433. the calc is a little different but I am showing how regular acivity *1.2 and exercise would fit in.

So do lose weight you should eat between 10 and 20% below TDEE which would be 1946 (2433*.8) to 2190, but would not eat back exercise cals. So if you eat 1950 and burn 800, you would net below your BMR that day, but the average for the week you would be at your above BMR as on days you don't workout you would be eating above BMR by 400 to 540 but on workout days eating under BMR by . 250-400 cals.

Essentially your TDEE includes exercise cals and if you are active the multiplier would be 1.55 on your BMR to give you 2405, close to the 2433 I calculated above using sedentary and exercise cals.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What is the best macro nutrient ratio to be at to loose weight and fat and maintain lean body mass?
  • Linda6580
    Linda6580 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What is the best macro nutrient ratio to be at to loose weight and fat and maintain lean body mass?

I would also like to know more about this??
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    amazing info ! thanks so much
  • loserlori
    loserlori Posts: 22
    Options
    Saving, thanks
  • loulou2006
    loulou2006 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Bump, very interesting, I had mine calculated out for me because it was so confusing but this made it pretty easy
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I would also like to know more about this??

This will differ with everyone slightly but a rough goal is 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per lb of goal weight or 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, if you know your bf%. and 0.35 grams of fat per lb of body weight, the remainder of cals can be any combination of macros (carbs, fat or protein).

so if you weigh 150 lbs and have a bf% of 20% your lean mass is 120lbs and you should aim for at least 120 grams of protein (480 cals from protein), 52.5 grams of fat (0.35*150) which is 472 cals from fat, that covers 952 cals, the remainder of your cals can be divided how you like. if you were on a 1500 cal/day diet and chose all carbs that would give you 547 cals from carbs which is 137 grams. this would be 32% protein, 31% fat, 37% carbs. If you are on a higher food intake your carbs can be higher, or you can choose more fat or protein. A lot of people push the 40/30/30 ratio, C/F/P.

But if you like you don't have to eat 137 grams carbs you can eat 80 grams of carbs and get even more fat and/or protein
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    Bump
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks erickirb
  • jdkh32003
    jdkh32003 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Amy_Bailes
    Amy_Bailes Posts: 15 Member
    Options

This number is static and I only recommend eating back so your NET is at least 200 above BMR.

This is not only very interesting but also slightly depressing - my body fat % is more than half of my weight!! Ugh. Okay, I'm working to change that. My question has to do with the sentence I quoted above. According to my BMR I should eat 1624 calories or with the KMF BMR I should have 1352 calories. But! (Isn't there always a but?), I'm counting myself as moderately active, so that bumps my calories back up to 2179. And then I read that I should eat back to at least 200 above BMR.

So which BMR do I choose from?? I'm thinking the higher of the three numbers (which gives me 2379 calories/day) but want someone else to say that I've got this figured out correctly.