Replies

• EmeriaDewes
    Options
    Bump
    Thanks for the info
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm counting myself as moderately active, so that bumps my calories back up to 2179.

That's your total daily energy TDEE not your BMR. Knock off your intended deficit from that for example 2179 - 500 = 1679

that's above both BMRs, if that concerns you.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bump ive seen a lot of people on here this week who could do with reading this!
  • Amy_Bailes
    Amy_Bailes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the correction. 1600+ calories a day... I guess that I get to eat a second helping of lunch! ;-)
  • Cassie6480
    Cassie6480 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    20-50% of most weight lost on a Very Low Calorie Diet is from Lean Mass

I think 15 to 30% of VLCD weight loss is fat free mass would be more accurate. FFM = lean muscle & water.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    bump- fantastic information. thank you
  • cafred
    cafred Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've tried to get to Helloitsdan via a personal message but maybe you guys can help me out. Here are my thoughts and questions.......

A little background on me......I am fairly new to all of this fitness and weight loss stuff and have only been on MFP for a few weeks. I have been dieting using the PINK Method by Cynthia Pasquela since the end of January and have lost 15 pounds so far. I am getting to these last 5-10 pounds and things have come to a halt which is why I am snooping around for what to do!

First question, at one point in the original post, Dan said to measure your waist 1" below the belly button but the Fat2 calculator states "Note: Women should measure the natural waist circumference at the point of minimal abdominal circumference, usually located about halfway between the navel and the lower end of the sternum (breast bone)." That's above the belly button at the smallest point. There is a a couple of inches difference between these two locations for me so I think it matters which one to use.

Second, I think I ran my numbers right and was hoping you could verify that for me.
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 127
    Goal: 115-120 ---> not sure what would be best.
    Work outs: Moderate 3-5days/week

I got these numbers:
    Military Body Fat: 25.9% given 12" neck, 28" smallest circumference above belly button (1inch below is 30"), 35" hip
    BMR via Katch McArdle: 1293 Based on Moderate exercise.....1930
    TDEE = 1930 x 1.20 = 2316

With this, my calorie intake should stay between 1930 and 2316 to lose weight and I would never eat back calories from a workout unless my workouts burnt more than 437 calories (1930-1293+200). Given that, I would eat whatever I burnt over and beyond 437 calories. Example, if I burnt 600 calories via a workout, I would eat back 163 calories (600-437). Do I have all this correct?

Being so short, I have always been told I need to eat so much less than the average Jane Doe. I have been currently trying to stay around 1200 calories with a diet rich in protein and veggies along with some good carbs like CousCous or brown rice and fruits. It's been a lot of hard work and sweat to get 15 pounds off of me. Adding 700 calories to my diet is scary. Any other advice or recommendations for me in my specific situation?

One more thing.....lots of talk about macros and setting them. I have no idea how to do that. I can't even figure out how to set my calories specifically. Under Settings/Update your Diet Profile there are just options to fill in and MFP automatically sets your calorie intake based on those options. From the post, it seems like somehow you can bypass these options and tell MFP how many calories you want to consume. Any direction for setting macros and calorie intake would be greatly appreciated.

If you can help me on any of these points, I would greatly appreciate it!!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks, - I agree with everything you said exept this:

Cardio is great for accelerated fat loss but if you are overweight or obese I would only recommend a brisk walk.
    Every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back.
    Once you get down to an acceptable BF level then run to your hearts content.

It is quite possible to run, bike, and do other forms of cardio while you are obese or overweight....Without doing yourself any harm...Just be sensible about it, wear good shoes and don't start off trying to do a marathon a day ....
    I started running at 227lbs with sore knees and shin splints - 55lbs later and no shin splints and my knees are stronger than ever before....
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have been using this model for the past three weeks, and so far so good. These calculations added roughly 1000 calories to my daily consumption, and I have far more energy now than I did a few weeks ago. I am no longer constantly tired, and I am eating enough to be able to really enjoy good meals.

If you are stuck in a plateau and are eating less than this method recommends, then you may want to give this a good look.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    dump
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've tried to get to Helloitsdan via a personal message but maybe you guys can help me out. Here are my thoughts and questions.......

A little background on me......I am fairly new to all of this fitness and weight loss stuff and have only been on MFP for a few weeks. I have been dieting using the PINK Method by Cynthia Pasquela since the end of January and have lost 15 pounds so far. I am getting to these last 5-10 pounds and things have come to a halt which is why I am snooping around for what to do!

First question, at one point in the original post, Dan said to measure your waist 1" below the belly button but the Fat2 calculator states "Note: Women should measure the natural waist circumference at the point of minimal abdominal circumference, usually located about halfway between the navel and the lower end of the sternum (breast bone)." That's above the belly button at the smallest point. There is a a couple of inches difference between these two locations for me so I think it matters which one to use.

Second, I think I ran my numbers right and was hoping you could verify that for me.
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 127
    Goal: 115-120 ---> not sure what would be best.
    Work outs: Moderate 3-5days/week

I got these numbers:
    Military Body Fat: 25.9% given 12" neck, 28" smallest circumference above belly button (1inch below is 30"), 35" hip
    BMR via Katch McArdle: 1293 Based on Moderate exercise.....1930
    TDEE = 1930 x 1.20 = 2316

With this, my calorie intake should stay between 1930 and 2316 to lose weight and I would never eat back calories from a workout unless my workouts burnt more than 437 calories (1930-1293+200). Given that, I would eat whatever I burnt over and beyond 437 calories. Example, if I burnt 600 calories via a workout, I would eat back 163 calories (600-437). Do I have all this correct?

Being so short, I have always been told I need to eat so much less than the average Jane Doe. I have been currently trying to stay around 1200 calories with a diet rich in protein and veggies along with some good carbs like CousCous or brown rice and fruits. It's been a lot of hard work and sweat to get 15 pounds off of me. Adding 700 calories to my diet is scary. Any other advice or recommendations for me in my specific situation?

One more thing.....lots of talk about macros and setting them. I have no idea how to do that. I can't even figure out how to set my calories specifically. Under Settings/Update your Diet Profile there are just options to fill in and MFP automatically sets your calorie intake based on those options. From the post, it seems like somehow you can bypass these options and tell MFP how many calories you want to consume. Any direction for setting macros and calorie intake would be greatly appreciated.

If you can help me on any of these points, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

BMR is min so always eat above 1293
    TDEE is max, usually what you would eat to maintain so eat less than 2316
    The number in the chart is your TDEE - 20% so you should ideally eat 1930
    Im confused where you got the 437/200 from. dont eat back exercise unless your workouts take you below BMR so you can burn 637 without eating back (1930-1293)

If you are currently eating much less than this, put your calories up gradually maybe 100 a week if you dont want to see a gain, or just go the whole amount at once, dont worry about the gain and stick with it for a few weeks.

To change your macros, go to home>goals>custom goals.

hope this helps x
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Love!
  • abouck
    abouck Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options