no calories left - what now???

Options
13»

Replies

• TheBakerGirl
    Options
    get your buns to the gym and earn yourself some dinner! that's what I do anyway. :wink:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    go to sleep :) I've had to go to bed early a few times!!!.. but i feel better about it the next day;)
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Don't skip dinner, this will slow your metabolism because your body will slow it down as a natural way to save nutrients in "starvation mode." Excercise and eat a light dinner, like it was discuss on other posts.

FYI, skipping one meal will not slow your metabolism. But I'm with everyone else, exercise and eat a light dinner with plenty of protein in it.
  • kminer80
    kminer80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Workout. Go for a walk that will give you the extra calories. You can't skip dinner. You will be starving your body the entire evening through the night until breakfast tomorrow and that will cause a weight gain. Eat a low cal dinner and try to get a workout in. You can't skip a meal that isn't healthy...especially dinner.
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Do a workout!!!! Gain some cals back!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Take a nice LONG FAST walk! Eat a sensible dinner... If I were in the situation thats what I would do. If I tried to skip dinner I would eat EVERYTHING in sight at bedtime
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Don't skip dinner, this will slow your metabolism because your body will slow it down as a natural way to save nutrients in "starvation mode." Excercise and eat a light dinner, like it was discuss on other posts.

FYI, skipping one meal will not slow your metabolism. But I'm with everyone else, exercise and eat a light dinner with plenty of protein in it.

Very true, one meal does not a metabolism change make. However, it does mean that tomorrow morning at brekkies there's going to be one HUUUUNNNGGGRRRYYY person sitting at that table, and when you're hungry all rational decision-making goes bye-bye, at least it does for me, and I make food decisions I really come to regret

Then that sets you up with a calorie deficit for that day since you overate at brekkies, so you have to starve yourself that day, then the next breakfast....

It's a vicious cycle. I've ridden it before. It's hard to jump off.

Exercise, or consider a reasonable supper of lean protein-rich foods an investment in better decision-making for the day ahead.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    A 4 0z chicken breast and 2 cups of steamed broccoli and some water will fill you right up at less than 300 calories. A good walk or small run will take care of that for you. Good luck. It won't be the end of the world if you eat dinner and go over.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Very true, one meal does not a metabolism change make. However, it does mean that tomorrow morning at brekkies there's going to be one HUUUUNNNGGGRRRYYY person sitting at that table, and when you're hungry all rational decision-making goes bye-bye, at least it does for me, and I make food decisions I really come to regret

Then that sets you up with a calorie deficit for that day since you overate at brekkies, so you have to starve yourself that day, then the next breakfast....

It's a vicious cycle. I've ridden it before. It's hard to jump off.

Exercise, or consider a reasonable supper of lean protein-rich foods an investment in better decision-making for the day ahead.

I've been on that same cycle- and yes, it is very tough to get off of.
  • bnazarian
    bnazarian Posts: 20
    Options
    I would judge it more on how you feel. If you are absolutely starving at dinner time tonight try to have a very light dinner, some fish/chicken with just veggies. Something with little calories but some protein to make you get through it. But if you've had a lot of "good" calories today then you might not feel hungry at dinner time and might be able to skip it with no problem. If your calories were empty though you will be very hungry!

I agree with Marita. I've done this before, especially when I set my goal too high and the calorie amount is lower than a moderate weight loss projection would be. If I make the mistake of leaving myself with few calories or none for dinner, I do a little more exercise, even if it's 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer, a brisk walk for a couple miles or some aerobics then I eat a snack that's well balanced and vow to be more careful budgeting the next day.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Another thing don't go by your BMR go off of the calorie goal that MFP gives you! Your BMR calories is what it takes to maintain your weight.

True! Google a bunch of BMR calculators... Then do research about why people think you shouldn't eat below that number. Then decide for yourself what your calorie goal should be. Dont just mindlessly trust the one MFP gives you.

FALSE! BMR is the amount of calories needed to keep you alive, eg if you are in a coma and do no activity AT ALL.
    to maintain your weight you need to calculate TDEE which takes into account your daily activity and exercise.

My BMR is 1574.........I lose 1.5 a week eating 1950, so obviously eating at BMR is not the right level to maintain!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Another thing don't go by your BMR go off of the calorie goal that MFP gives you! Your BMR calories is what it takes to maintain your weight.

NO. NO. NO.

Your TDEE is what it takes to maintain your weight, which is your BMR x your daily activity multiplier (1.2 for sedentary).

C'mon people!

Also, remember that exercise supresses appetite, so if your work out, it's a win-win!
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

True! Google a bunch of BMR calculators... Then do research about why people think you shouldn't eat below that number. Then decide for yourself what your calorie goal should be. Dont just mindlessly trust the one MFP gives you.

FALSE! BMR is the amount of calories needed to keep you alive, eg if you are in a coma and do no activity AT ALL.
    to maintain your weight you need to calculate TDEE which takes into account your daily activity and exercise.

My BMR is 1574.........I lose 1.5 a week eating 1950, so obviously eating at BMR is not the right level to maintain!

The part I was referring to is not to trust MFP's calculations... Research, calculate and decide.

Edit: My appologies for not reading the quote more carefully.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry... why don't you just eat ?
    Guys are funny when they advice to exercice ; why is that ?
    You never took an oath...

Having a sweet dinner of 600 calories won't make you gain, so enjoy :-)