How Often Do You Step on the Scale?

Options
Part of me thinks I should weigh myself every day and the other says to only do it on my weigh-in days. What is the reasoning behind your weigh-ins?

Replies

• auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I only try to do it once a week on the same day of the week and at the same time , some times i will do it half way through the week , it can be very misleading if you do it every day as our body weight fluctuates so much from day to day
  • SpankyBuns
    SpankyBuns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In the morning when I get up naked ( have some tea) and then weigh after a poop hoping that the poop dropped me a few ounces...crazy I know, but every little bit helps me move forward, to get downstairs and exercise. So twice a day uggg I have issues lol
  • 2012Cee
    2012Cee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every morning before & after I get out of the shower. Call me crazy but the scale will show 1# less AFTER I get out of the shower than before I got in. Go figure???:happy:
  • XpeargrlX
    XpeargrlX Posts: 21
    Options
    Every morning after I get up I weigh myself.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. I use my fluctuations to tell me if I'm having a reaction to something I ate or done something to myself I shouldn't have. I expect it to fluctuate wildly from day to day, but as long as I'm seeing a general downward trend, I'm happy!
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    Every morning before & after I get out of the shower. Call me crazy but the scale will show 1# less AFTER I get out of the shower than before I got in. Go figure???:happy:
    Because your body is significantly warmer than the surrounding air and you're generating your own personal updraft.

Sssssssssscience!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Randomly, but I do it most every day. I am too curious to let it go for a week. Even when I was a kid and very thin, I would weigh myself frequently, just because the scale was there. Of course I would also take my measurements... waist, head, length of fingers... I just like to know things.
  • sparkle126
    sparkle126 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday just before breakfast, helps me stay on track and feel motivated to work out. Your ment to weigh yourself when you have no food or liquids in your stomach because its your true weight.
  • 2012Cee
    2012Cee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK smarty..how often do you get on your scale?
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I never weigh in! I just take my measurements Its so rare when I do, but I recently made the commitment to weigh in/measure myself weekly! My first weigh-in in months is this Friday! I am excited because I really feel I lost a little something :)
  • sdguy2002
    sdguy2002 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    At night after I eat. That way I dont miss weighing in when I feel bad I know it cause of that and if i need a pick me up then I will Do it in morning when I wake up.
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    OK smarty..how often do you get on your scale?
    Every morning after I use the toilet and before I eat or work out...or shower. :tongue:
  • rubyduby123
    Options
    Every Monday morning once out of bed and used the washroom.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I thought I was being crazy weighing every morning....glad to know there are more like me out there :)
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Weighing in was a downer for me. Because if I did not see the scale moving or saw my weight go up a pound or two it was demotivating. Why am I working so hard and nothing is happening. That is not always the case. So now every Sunday morning I measure my waist above and below the belly button, measure my hips, measure my thighs etc... I write it down in a little notebook I am keeping. Talk about motivating!!! My scale was not moving that much but I was on average losing a half inch a week. Sunday's suddenly became fun and I found myself working out even harder on Friday and Saturday's because I knew measure day was coming. To me much better than weighing. Now that I am down 3 1/2 inches I allowed myself to weigh and found I had dropped 9 pounds. But I also know I have gained muscle. So my weight did not mean much. Measuring is much better. Just my opinion coming from someone that does not like looking at the scale. :)
  • continentaldivide
    continentaldivide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record every morning. It has helped me realize what foods make a difference in my weight every day, and adjust the coming days foods if I need to. What is working for me is to be very precise and detailed about my weight loss, such as measuring most everything I cook with. Weighing in each day is part of this precision. I am not losing fast, but I am losing and I feel I am teaching myself how to pay attention to my needs!
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Once per week, every Sunday right after I wake up.

Doing it more than this has some bad side effects:
    1. Your weight goes up and down all the time throughout the day, so weighing in daily can give you misleading info.
    2. Over a week period you are getting a more realistic sign of the progress you are making. It is pushing it to expect a daily change in weight to be anything accurate.
    3. Weighing in weekly gives you a short range goal to shoot for. It feels very good to hit that goal, which is very motivating.
    4. Whereas weighing in daily will almost certainly KILL your motivation, since it is almost guaranteed that you will gain a pound here and there when looking at it daily, whereas you will consistently show weight loss on a weekly basis (assuming you are doing the things you should to lose weight).
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Once a month now that I'm on maintenance.
  • ladybrittain
    Options
    Too much!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Once per week, every Sunday right after I wake up.

Doing it more than this has some bad side effects:
    1. Your weight goes up and down all the time throughout the day, so weighing in daily can give you misleading info.
    2. Over a week period you are getting a more realistic sign of the progress you are making. It is pushing it to expect a daily change in weight to be anything accurate.
    3. Weighing in weekly gives you a short range goal to shoot for. It feels very good to hit that goal, which is very motivating.
    4. Whereas weighing in daily will almost certainly KILL your motivation, since it is almost guaranteed that you will gain a pound here and there when looking at it daily, whereas you will consistently show weight loss on a weekly basis (assuming you are doing the things you should to lose weight).
    These things may be bad for you, but it works just fine for me. I've always weighed myself frequently and it's never dampened my motivation at all.

Why do you think you would consistently show weight loss on a weekly basis, more than you would on a daily basis? You could easily fluctuate UP by a few pounds on the very day of your weigh-in.