How Often Do You Step on the Scale?

Options

Replies

• mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily after waking up and going potty just out of pure curiosity (and because I'm obsessed with it LOL). However, my official recording weigh/measure day is every Friday.
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    Lol I try to resist the urge of weighing myself daily. Knowing how water weight may fluctuate my weight, I've limited down to once a week AFTER the end of a great workout week and BEFORE dinner and partying on the weekend (#s are smaller). Way more motivating for me that way! :smile:
  • Helen1860
    Helen1860 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, usually morning and before bedtime, but i only record my weight once a week on Monday morning. I have to really work hard over the weekend to keep off what i've lost during the week, so i'm always weighing, but over the past 3 years i have lost 70 lbs., but kept most of it off; then I gained 25 lbs. back so now that i'm back losing again i don't want it to catch up to me again.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sundays if possible around the same time in the morning.
    If I know I'm going to be traveling then either Saturday morning or I skip a week.
  • tnmomof3
    tnmomof3 Posts: 177
    Options
    Every Day
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every day...unless I really blew it in the last day or two and I know isn't going to be good. But I only record on Sunday morning.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily after waking up and going potty just out of pure curiosity (and because I'm obsessed with it LOL). However, my official recording weigh/measure day is every Friday.

I pee, step on the scale in my PJ's and peel them off to see much they weigh. Then if I have a good morning poo, I'll hop on the scale again.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am doing once a week. The scale is not a friend of mine. I am scared to weigh myself so I am not eager to jump on it all the time.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Once a week to put it on here. This week i had to go buy a scale ( my last one was thrown out the backdoor and smashed to smithereens when i was yo yo dieting) because i was using one at the ymca and it is constantly being used so i wanted my own. I debate getting on it everyday but weekly to see how i am doing but keep in mind i have only been at this for a month.
  • mamakayy
    mamakayy Posts: 36
    Options
    Daily first thing in the AM, after peeing of course.

For me, my daily weight isn't detrimental to my loss, its key. I have an app that tracks my moving average, and smooths ont that daily fluctuations. So I can REALLY see whether I'm going up, down, or staying the same. And I know how what ive done the day before effects my weight (amount of water drank, large dinner, lots of carbs, etc.) It keeps me on track.

Shutting my eyes and crossing my fingers that what ive done in the last week was right just doesn't cut it for me.
  • NevaehsMommy2010
    Options
    Personally, I've found weighing in daily has worked best, in the morning after I use the bathroom and before I eat breakfast. I understand that my weight fluctuates during the day and all that jazz, but I know that if the number goes up a crazy amount, than I did something wrong, and if it DOES go up, I can pinpoint what I did wrong a lot easier.
  • Monde68
    Monde68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's interesting hearing about different strategies others have for weighing. Personally I have relied too much on the scales, and like many others, feel totally depressed knowing i've done all the right things and then don't see a shift in the right direction on the numbers. I've even gone so far as to test that my scales were accurate cause i was sure that maybe they were broken or something. But they seem to be pretty accurate :explode: . So I've decided to stop weighing myself for a bit, and relying purely on measurements. It's too depressing otherwise :grumble:
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just once a week. When I first started MFP last month and got a scale for the first time in years, I couldn't resist weighing myself daily for a few days. I can't even remember if my weight went up or down during those few days, but I read a lot of advice against weighing daily, so I stopped.

Now I'm not even tempted to weigh myself daily, except sometimes when I've been really bad... but I don't. I suspect dramatic swings in either direction would affect me psychologically - too much up and I'd get discouraged and overeat out of a "I've already gained" mentality; too much down and I'd overeat thinking I had calories to spare and still meet my target.

So, weekly weigh-ins are working well for me.
  • MommyRobin
    MommyRobin Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Every morning. And after a good workout. After a big meal. After I drink a Brita 20 oz. bottle of water. After I use the bathroom. Before, during, and after time of the month. I am curious to know how my body works. I do not get discouraged by what the scale says. I get motivated, loss or gain! It works for me, seeing as I've lost 80 lbs. in a year. It may not be the best thing for everyone, but it works for this girl. :smile:
  • txcwgrl74
    txcwgrl74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Every morning (and sometimes before bed). I think its a good thing to know how my weight fluctuates. If I weighed in once a week and it were on an day where my weight was fluctuating up, then throw me off for the week and demotivate me. (and tick me off).
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You guys it's NOT BAD to weigh yourself daily if that's what works for you! :) Weighing weekly would kill my motivation because I figured "Hey, it's been a week so I should definitely show a loss" and that wasn't always the case. I weigh daily, but I don't get discouraged if it goes up a pound or two! It's all how much water your body is retaining that day. I don't LIKE to see it go up, but I only LOG losses and I pay attention to the general trendline on my chart more than the loss. That way when I look at my chart I see two things: a flat line and a downward tick. THAT makes me smile :) If my flat line goes on for too long I'll reevaluate what I'm doing. Now if I gained steadily I would definitely record that, and obviously something would be wrong, but I'm consistent with my diet and excercise and don't usually cheat or anything. I've read numerous articles that say weighing daily helps keep people accountable and those people generally have lower weight over their lifetime than those who don't, but everyone seems to think it's such a bad thing.
    Bottom line... do what works for you, and seriously don't stress about small fluctuations. No, we don't want to see it go up, but you have to realize it's not going to stay up if you're doing what you should be doing :)
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I record my weight once a week, but step on the scales once a day. I know there are schools of thought saying you shouldn't, but I like to monitor the fluctuations and changes. Also, I can see if I'm going one way or the other and act accordingly.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    New to it, but once a week, friday morning(couldn;t face it on a monday) and that is it
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Pretty much step on every day, only weigh in once a week though..

I know I shouldnt do it so much but I like to keep track so that if I am heavier one day I will be a bit better with what I eat or walk a bit faster.. it works in my head :D
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Every day in the morning after my "daily."

I need the daily routine. It has helped me to understand how my weight works, how my cycle affects it, how certain choices affect it. SOmetimes it gets me down, but I think it would be worse if I did it weekly only and then happened upon one of my wild shift days---in either direction.

This... It really shows me things I would have not thought could affect me so much. For example, on Easter I had all the prime rib I wanted, plus a slice of NY cheesecake. Two days later I had gained lIke two pounds. If I only weighed once a week, I would have assumed it was the cheesecake since the weight was still there's he next Sunday. However, since I knew the next day I hadn't gained, I knew the culprit was something I ate on Monday. That really helped me not feel bad about something when I would have. Now I know to skip the French dips the next day, however. :smile:

I'm also fairly new to weighing consistently, and as a female, my weight is going to change in a rhythmic way in terms of water retention. I want to know the trends.