Replies

• SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You are welcome. =)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Open your diary please and how often do you go to the gym? How long do you spend at the gym and what type of workouts do you do?
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Try to stay under 30 grams of sugar a day.
    Curious - where does that 30 gram figure come from?
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    While dieting, you should only eat blackberries, blueberries, rasberries, and dewberries. NO other fruits, and only one serving of those a day. Try to stay under 30 grams of sugar a day. No fruit juice, and especially no dried fruit, as it has more sugar than fresh fruit, without the nutritional benefits. I weighed 180 after having my daughter, and I am now counting calories to maintain weight at 115 and possibly even put on weight, as I keep slipping under the healthy range. I can tell you from experience, that sugar will make you fat, and try consume 40%carbs 40%protein and 20%fat per day, customize your profile to that and you will see a change. Good luck!

There is absolutely NO scientific evidence to back up your claime that only certain fruits are ok and others are unacceptable.
    Added sugars are the only problem, with processed foods as far as 30gs sugar daily goal.

Hi - I've been looking for science supporting daily sugar intake recommendations. Can you tell me where your 30 g/day comes from?

Thanks. :)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem with the sugar and as we all know SUGAR is our #1 enemy. Check out www.beyonddiet.com they give you good information regarding sugar. Check out their video.

Read this thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/567461-sugar-the-bitter-truth?page=1#posts-8028975
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents but I have never tracked sugar other than the 2 scoops of pure cane sugar I put in my morning coffee everyday. Beyond that I track my calories, proteins, carbs, and fats and have managed to lose a few pounds.... I eat banana's, oranges, apples, and Strawberries, etc.... but do not worry about the natural sugar in them... To each there own but my focus has always been on good carbs and my caloric intake.... Best of Luck....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sugar from whole fresh fruit doesn't really count.

Doesn't count as what? it's still calories and it's still sugar. Not clear on what you mean.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Doesn't count as what? it's still calories and it's still sugar. Not clear on what you mean.

Probably as towards staying under your "sugar goal." It's mostly added sugars you should stay away from.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    I said those berries BECAUSE they are all low in sugar, they are better because you are consuming less sugar. And there is indeed evidence that some carbs are healthier than others. Believe what you like, but a personal trainer taught me what I know about fitness and helped me to lose 65 pounds in the last 7.5 months. I currently eat 2200 healthy calories a day, and do 4 30 minute high intensity workouts a week to maintain my weight and keep building muscle. Good luck and goodbye. Never again will I try to help anyone on a MFP forum again.

I'm glad you were successful at losing weight. But just because you did it along with limiting sugar doesn't mean it is the only way. In fact, I would say it was most people lose weight without having a conniption about sugar. It is nice of you to try and be helpful, but fear mongering doesn't get people anywhere.
  • jsapninz
    Options

Hi - I've been looking for science supporting daily sugar intake recommendations. Can you tell me where your 30 g/day comes from?

Thanks. :)

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) advises adults who eat a 2,000-calorie diet to limit sugar intake to about 40 grams (10 teaspoons) of added sugar per day.
  • cuervoferoz
    Options
    jsapninz for the most part has it right. For most people, calories are in fact calories, and if one eats at a deficit one will lose weight... it can be as simple as that.

I did want to address the whole "good sugar, bad sugar" topic being talked about in this thread. The label "good sugar bad sugar" is way to simplistic. What this is referring to is the glycemic index of the carbohydrate in question. The glycemic index is a number that measures how quickly the carb is broken down and absorbed into the bloodstream as glucose. Every carb has a glycemic index, from table sugar to whole wheat bread. Sugar (glucose) has a glycemic index of 100 which is the highest possible value (actually some sources use white bread as the 100 value, which then makes sugar 140, I believe. Not sure why two different standards are used.... this is less common, however). Carbs with a high glycemic value are what people tend to label as "bad carbs," and carbs with a low glycemic value are what people tend to label as "good carbs."

Now to answer the question everyone reading this who doesn't understand the GI index is asking themselves.... How does this relate to me? When glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream (and some amino acids, to a lesser extent) it triggers the release of a protein called insulin. Most people have heard of insulin because they know a diabetic, but they don't really understand what it does. Insulin regulates the uptake of glucose into the body's cells - but it also plays an important role in fat metabolism.

Because insulin increases the secretion of lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme that increases the uptake of fat from your bloodstream into fat in your body’s cells, when your body produces more insulin, you are more likely to convert dietary calories into body fat.

When you try to lose weight by reducing the amount of food you eat instead of changing the type of food, your body responds not only by increasing the amount of insulin and lipoprotein lipase, but also by increasing your body’s sensitivity to the effects of these. A double-whammy. As a result, your body increases the uptake of fat from your bloodstream and you tend to regain the lost weight.

So what those of you who are "sugar sensitive" need to do is gain a better understanding of the glycemic index. Eat carbs that are low to moderate on the glycemic index. My savior has been the sweet potato - it gives me the sweet fix I crave while only rating about a 55 on the GI - plus its packed with nutrients such as carotein that we rarely get without supplementing.

Hope all this info helps. I would be glad to help share some diet tips if anyone needs some ideas.

- Cuervo
  • cuervoferoz
    Options
  • cuervoferoz
    Options
  • cuervoferoz
    Options
  • cuervoferoz
    Options
    ]
  • cuervoferoz
    Options

Probably as towards staying under your "sugar goal." It's mostly added sugars you should stay away from.

Added sugar is certainly the most often abused and easiest glucose source to limit, but there are plenty of foods out there that are just as "bad" for you. Google "glycemic index" - it will give you a good idea of which fruits have a high or low value
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    consensus usually says, sugar doesn't matter as long as you're within your calorie limit.

And listen to GreasyGriddle. She's right.
  • Suzieqgirl
    Suzieqgirl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It might be your body type that is effecting your weight. I had a friend that went on a diet and could not lose weight, but when she started to eat for her body type, the pounds came off. Type-A blood can not eat a lot of meat. They have to get their protein through vegetables like beans other green with protein. Type-O blood can eat meat but they should stay away from bread, potatoes and high carb foods like sugar, pasta, corn, chips & etc. It causes the insulin to right in their blood making it hard to lose.

You also need to be sure to eat something ever few hours to keep your metabolism up. Eat fruit between meals. Do not eat bananas, to much sugar. When you do not eat, the body will slow itself down and go into survival mode. You don't want that.

Stay away from artificial sweeteners. The body can not brake them down right and body will spends to much time trying to brake it down! Then that causes the body to not have enough energy to detoxing the body and burning fat off.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It might be your body type that is effecting your weight. I had a friend that went on a diet and could not lose weight, but when she started to eat for her body type, the pounds came off. Type-A blood can not eat a lot of meat. They have to get their protein through vegetables like beans other green with protein. Type-O blood can eat meat but they should stay away from bread, potatoes and high carb foods like sugar, pasta, corn, chips & etc. It causes the insulin to right in their blood making it hard to lose.

You also need to be sure to eat something ever few hours to keep your metabolism up. Eat fruit between meals. Do not eat bananas, to much sugar. When you do not eat the body will slow down and go into survival mode. You don't want that.

Stay away from artificial sweeteners. The body can not brake them down right and will spends to much time trying to brake it down and not work on detoxing your system and burning fat.

You win the award for best post ever. Everyone should be required to read and memorize this before asking a question.

I'm type B blood type - what should I do???

Moderators - sticky this post.
  • Suzieqgirl
    Suzieqgirl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about Type-B blood type. I only know about Type "A" & "O", because my husband is "A" and I am "O" blood type.

I got my information from a book called, "Blood type, Body type and You", by Joseph Christiano. I hope this helps!