Sugar

Options

Replies

• cuervoferoz
    Options
    It might be your body type that is effecting your weight. I had a friend that went on a diet and could not lose weight, but when she started to eat for her body type, the pounds came off. Type-A blood can not eat a lot of meat. They have to get their protein through vegetables like beans other green with protein. Type-O blood can eat meat but they should stay away from bread, potatoes and high carb foods like sugar, pasta, corn, chips & etc. It causes the insulin to right in their blood making it hard to lose.

You also need to be sure to eat something ever few hours to keep your metabolism up. Eat fruit between meals. Do not eat bananas, to much sugar. When you do not eat, the body will slow itself down and go into survival mode. You don't want that.

Stay away from artificial sweeteners. The body can not brake them down right and body will spends to much time trying to brake it down! Then that causes the body to not have enough energy to detoxing the body and burning fat off.

There is some good information in this post - such as your body type affecting your weight, however the notion that your bloodtype affects your metabolism is not backed by any scientific evidence. This theory was made popular by Dr. D'adamo's book "eat right for your type." He states that his information is backed up by decades of research - however there is no way to verify this claim. Believe me when I say health professionals cross-industry would never endorse this info. For example... Dr. D'adamo states that people of my blood type (B) should not eat chicken. I eat nearly a lb of chicken a day at times - I continue to lose weight and gain strength. Please don't be fooled by people out to make a buck.... follow sound nutrition practices that you can find in these forums.... don't waste your time on garbage. It's as simple as this, for ANY body type.... sugar causes a release of insulin, which causes fat to be stored in your body more easily.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options

How can she NOT be following the system, if she JUST said, she was going over... how would she know if she was going over if she log it... rude..... and YES, it does matter what you eat... Like avacados, they have fat, but they have the good fat that helps your body STORE fat in the right places....it may have the same amount of calories as something else, but what would you rather eat.... calories aren't everything...and if you can't give good advice, don't get on here and argue.

Thanks!

She is not logging consistently. Look at her diary. Not logging = not following the system. That is what I was referring to.

And "avacados storing fat in the right places"....sorry but that sounds very made up.

Actually this is true. The healthy good for you fats, from avacados, nuts, things with omega 3 like flax seed and cold water fish have "code" to tell your body to shed the deep abdominal fat that is bad for your heart and other organs and yes it is still calories but your body processes it differently. Look it up.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It might be your body type that is effecting your weight. I had a friend that went on a diet and could not lose weight, but when she started to eat for her body type, the pounds came off. Type-A blood can not eat a lot of meat. They have to get their protein through vegetables like beans other green with protein. Type-O blood can eat meat but they should stay away from bread, potatoes and high carb foods like sugar, pasta, corn, chips & etc. It causes the insulin to right in their blood making it hard to lose.

You also need to be sure to eat something ever few hours to keep your metabolism up. Eat fruit between meals. Do not eat bananas, to much sugar. When you do not eat, the body will slow itself down and go into survival mode. You don't want that.

Stay away from artificial sweeteners. The body can not brake them down right and body will spends to much time trying to brake it down! Then that causes the body to not have enough energy to detoxing the body and burning fat off.

There is some good information in this post - such as your body type affecting your weight, however the notion that your bloodtype affects your metabolism is not backed by any scientific evidence. This theory was made popular by Dr. D'adamo's book "eat right for your type." He states that his information is backed up by decades of research - however there is no way to verify this claim. Believe me when I say health professionals cross-industry would never endorse this info. For example... Dr. D'adamo states that people of my blood type (B) should not eat chicken. I eat nearly a lb of chicken a day at times - I continue to lose weight and gain strength. Please don't be fooled by people out to make a buck.... follow sound nutrition practices that you can find in these forums.... don't waste your time on garbage. It's as simple as this, for ANY body type.... sugar causes a release of insulin, which causes fat to be stored in your body more easily.

There are different types of metabolisms. W ether there is a real test to tell what kind you are, there probably isnt. You just have to work it out yourself and see what works for you. For instance I LOVE carbs but carbs dont like me. I do well with a high protein diet so does my mother. She eats little to no bread and other starchy foods. Just green veggies and red meat. My dad on the other hand does well with whole grains and lean meats like chicken and potatoes and veggies. Not every person has the genetics to produce all the enzymes to digest ALL the foods that we consume today. It depends on your ancestry and by that I mean really far back. Anyways, I just realized I may sound like a crack pot but I believe it is true. And this is just from personal experience, watching NOVA on genetics and my own personal research for fun.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Hi - I've been looking for science supporting daily sugar intake recommendations. Can you tell me where your 30 g/day comes from?

Thanks. :)

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) advises adults who eat a 2,000-calorie diet to limit sugar intake to about 40 grams (10 teaspoons) of added sugar per day.
    You wouldn't happen to have a URL for that reference, would you? The only thing I've been able to find on USDA websites or choosemyplate.gov is "calories from solid fats and added sugars should be limited to 10% of total daily calorie intake." Thanks for your help - I've been trying to find a source for a decent scientific basis for sugar intake limits for weeks now. :)
  • OwloftheFuture
    OwloftheFuture Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ignore this post.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Not sure about why you gained 3lbs... but you definitely won't have gained 3lbs eating at a deficit regardless of whether you've gone over on sugar or not.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Ignore this post.
    No.

;)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Try to stay under 30 grams of sugar a day.
    Curious - where does that 30 gram figure come from?

It is the standard recommended daily allowance for a woman (24-30g's)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Need to make your diary public so we can see what your eating, one thing I would encourage watching is the sodium intake cause it can cause you to retain water
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    jsapninz for the most part has it right. For most people, calories are in fact calories, and if one eats at a deficit one will lose weight... it can be as simple as that.

I did want to address the whole "good sugar, bad sugar" topic being talked about in this thread. The label "good sugar bad sugar" is way to simplistic. What this is referring to is the glycemic index of the carbohydrate in question. The glycemic index is a number that measures how quickly the carb is broken down and absorbed into the bloodstream as glucose. Every carb has a glycemic index, from table sugar to whole wheat bread. Sugar (glucose) has a glycemic index of 100 which is the highest possible value (actually some sources use white bread as the 100 value, which then makes sugar 140, I believe. Not sure why two different standards are used.... this is less common, however). Carbs with a high glycemic value are what people tend to label as "bad carbs," and carbs with a low glycemic value are what people tend to label as "good carbs."

Now to answer the question everyone reading this who doesn't understand the GI index is asking themselves.... How does this relate to me? When glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream (and some amino acids, to a lesser extent) it triggers the release of a protein called insulin. Most people have heard of insulin because they know a diabetic, but they don't really understand what it does. Insulin regulates the uptake of glucose into the body's cells - but it also plays an important role in fat metabolism.

Because insulin increases the secretion of lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme that increases the uptake of fat from your bloodstream into fat in your body’s cells, when your body produces more insulin, you are more likely to convert dietary calories into body fat.

When you try to lose weight by reducing the amount of food you eat instead of changing the type of food, your body responds not only by increasing the amount of insulin and lipoprotein lipase, but also by increasing your body’s sensitivity to the effects of these. A double-whammy. As a result, your body increases the uptake of fat from your bloodstream and you tend to regain the lost weight.

So what those of you who are "sugar sensitive" need to do is gain a better understanding of the glycemic index. Eat carbs that are low to moderate on the glycemic index. My savior has been the sweet potato - it gives me the sweet fix I crave while only rating about a 55 on the GI - plus its packed with nutrients such as carotein that we rarely get without supplementing.

Hope all this info helps. I would be glad to help share some diet tips if anyone needs some ideas.

- Cuervo

Thank you for this information. Some people ARE sugar sensitive and sugar of ANY kind can cause weight gain. If you have determined you ARE sugar sensitive. Track it, because it does matter to you.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am going way over on sugar everyday. Yes, somedays I haven't made the best choices but even on days that I'm doing pretty well on eating fruits, veggies and protein I'm going over. I've also GAINED 3 pounds since I started trying to lose weight by exercising and watching what I eat. Any advice? Do you think it could be because I'm going over on sugar?

Well sugar is the main culprit behind weight loss, and you happen to be eating a lot of it . . . so yeah. You already know the problem. It's a tough one to fix b/c sugar is frickin addictive. Don't keep sugary treats around your house. Bring low sugar snacks to work if you have to (like almonds). If you really need a carb/sugar fix, go for fruits (which you should probably be eating anyway). Avoid any kind of soda, especially diet soda since the super sweet taste probably increases sugar cravings.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information. Some people ARE sugar sensitive and sugar of ANY kind can cause weight gain. If you have determined you ARE sugar sensitive. Track it, because it does matter to you.

Interesting, so while in a hypocaloric state some people will gain weight if they eat a little sugar? Have anything to back that up?
  • My1985Freckles
    Options

Interesting, so while in a hypocaloric state some people will gain weight if they eat a little sugar? Have anything to back that up?

Personal experience. I AM sensitive to sugar. If you aren't good for you, but you can't claim that I am not because I am.
  • Acg67
    Options

Personal experience. I AM sensitive to sugar. If you aren't good for you, but you can't claim that I am not because I am.

So your answer is no, you have nothing besides a personal anecdote to back up your claim. Gotcha
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. If your weight loss has stalled switch up your diet a bit and lower your sugar. If that doesn't help then don't worry about sugar and try something else. If it helps and you start losing, then you know you were eating too much sugar.
  • My1985Freckles
    Options

So your answer is no, you have nothing besides a personal anecdote to back up your claim. Gotcha

And you have what to support the belief that some people can't be sugar sensitive? Nothing besides your word. Gotcha
  • Acg67
    Options

And you have what to support the belief that some people can't be sugar sensitive? Nothing besides your word. Gotcha

Strong reading comprehension, I never said people can't be sensitive to sugar. I only asked if while in a hypocaloric state sugar makes you gain and if you could actually substantiate such a claim. Which apparently you cannot
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My dog died because of sugar.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Yes, it most likely is because you are going over on sugar. While dieting, you should only eat blackberries, blueberries, rasberries, and dewberries. NO other fruits, and only one serving of those a day. Try to stay under 30 grams of sugar a day. No fruit juice, and especially no dried fruit, as it has more sugar than fresh fruit, without the nutritional benefits. I weighed 180 after having my daughter, and I am now counting calories to maintain weight at 115 and possibly even put on weight, as I keep slipping under the healthy range. I can tell you from experience, that sugar will make you fat, and try consume 40%carbs 40%protein and 20%fat per day, customize your profile to that and you will see a change. Good luck!
    ^^^ NOT this!!! It scares me how careless people are with giving out blatantly incorrect advice! Bananas apples oranges are all good for you as well!
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    My dog died because of sugar.
    ha!