Almond Butter or Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know I can pick up Sunflower Butter and Almond Butter at my local Target.
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    BOTH, Duh!

pbproblem.jpg

*drool*
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    BOTH, Duh!

pbproblem.jpg

MMMM, I love dark chocolate dreams!!!!

Totally agree about the dark chocolate dreams. However, cinnamon raisin swirl is good too if you've never had it.
    And fresh almond butter and pb are both great as well.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    i love all nut butters.

if you haven't tried pistachio butter yet YOU MUST.

Where do you purchase these nut butters??? I'm in the states on the east coast.

Do you have a Wegmans near you? They have an incredible variety of nut butters, including several of the ones people have mentioned in their posts. And that's just the regular section, they have an organic section with even more.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    BOTH, Duh!

pbproblem.jpg

MMMM, I love dark chocolate dreams!!!!

Totally agree about the dark chocolate dreams. However, cinnamon raisin swirl is good too if you've never had it.
    And fresh almond butter and pb are both great as well.

I'll have to try it. I love Saratoga Peanut Butters--every flavor. Especially adirondack jack, so I'd probably like cinnamon raisin swirl.

I like PB and AB. I actually can't tell the difference.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Peanut, i tried almond and thought, something aren't meant to be in butter form.
  • Alinroswell
    Options
    I like'em both - the fat boy calorie limits I'm on really limit the amount of nuts I can have.
  • run344
    run344 Posts: 28
    Options
    BOTH, Duh!

pbproblem.jpg

OMG this is amazing. You are my hero. Got to love nut butters! DCD is heavenly.
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well I am pretty partial to peanut butter, but for health reasons I'd go almond... sadly, I haven't found yet an almond butter that I like. Can anybody recommend a brand? Maybe I will switch. :)

I've tried a few but Once Again Raw Creamy Almond Butter is THE best I've ever had. It doesn't get hard in the fridge and tastes so good it's almost like a dessert.
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, I never tried almond butter. And I don't want to buy it and find out I don't like it.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Love freshly ground almond butter!
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Dont want to sound like a total eijit...
    But how do you make your own nut butter if you dont have a fancy grinder thing?

Thank you!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Dont want to sound like a total eijit...
    But how do you make your own nut butter if you dont have a fancy grinder thing?

Thank you!

Some people use a blender, but a lot of grocery stores are making freshly ground available. I love my Skippy Natural, though, so I stick with that.
  • bdsweetie21
    Options
    Most definately almond! Peanuts are not even nuts! They are in the bean family. Also, if you follow the blood type diet, you will find that peanuts are bad for all blood types to eat. They have harmful lectins in them that affect everyone. All foods have lectins, and they can affect people in all different ways, some are beneficial, some are neutral, and some are harmful and it is different for every blood type. Read this if you want to know more about how lectins effect the human body.

http://www.vrp.com/digestive-health/lectins-their-damaging-role-in-intestinal-health-rheumatoid-arthritis-and-weight-loss

Interesting because I have eaten peanut butter nearly every day of my life and am in perfect health and until I got my IUD, lost weight at a rate of nearly 2 pounds a week even when I weighed within my healthy range.

So I think I'll keep eating it. And peanuts, too.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but they're still not healthy for you. Not all unhealthy things cause obvious adverse effects. Early humans, from the paleolithic era, did not eat peanuts, or other similar beans, because they are poisonous raw, and in large doses. They are made non-poisonous by being roasted. You think you have eaten a raw peanut? Think again; all peanuts and peanut products have been roasted/cooked, unless you grow your own in which case I would advise you to roast them as well before eating them. For some things, this is enough to make it safe, but there are other harmful things, such as lectins, in peanuts. There is a reason that peanuts are on the top of the list for things women should avoid eating while pregnant...Just say'n. You can do whatever you want, and that's great if they don't cause any outward adverse effect for you, and that the unseen affects they might have don't bother you. I just wish for all to be informed about what they choose to put inside themselves BEFORE they do so. Everyone has a right to, and should make informed decisions rather than blind ones. I just choose to inform, when I have the knowledge to share.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Most definately almond! Peanuts are not even nuts! They are in the bean family. Also, if you follow the blood type diet, you will find that peanuts are bad for all blood types to eat. They have harmful lectins in them that affect everyone. All foods have lectins, and they can affect people in all different ways, some are beneficial, some are neutral, and some are harmful and it is different for every blood type. Read this if you want to know more about how lectins effect the human body.

http://www.vrp.com/digestive-health/lectins-their-damaging-role-in-intestinal-health-rheumatoid-arthritis-and-weight-loss

Interesting because I have eaten peanut butter nearly every day of my life and am in perfect health and until I got my IUD, lost weight at a rate of nearly 2 pounds a week even when I weighed within my healthy range.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but they're still not healthy for you. Not all unhealthy things cause obvious adverse effects. Early humans, from the paleolithic era, did not eat peanuts, or other similar beans, because they are poisonous raw, and in large doses. They are made non-poisonous by being roasted. You think you have eaten a raw peanut? Think again; all peanuts and peanut products have been roasted/cooked, unless you grow your own in which case I would advise you to roast them as well before eating them. For some things, this is enough to make it safe, but there are other harmful things, such as lectins, in peanuts. There is a reason that peanuts are on the top of the list for things women should avoid eating while pregnant...Just say'n. You can do whatever you want, and that's great if they don't cause any outward adverse effect for you, and that the unseen affects they might have don't bother you. I just wish for all to be informed about what they choose to put inside themselves BEFORE they do so. Everyone has a right to, and should make informed decisions rather than blind ones. I just choose to inform, when I have the knowledge to share.

Have you ever eaten a raw black bean? Raw chicken?

I was pregnant and no one ever told me to avoid peanuts.

I don't trust anything I read in Women's World. Just sayin'.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's fairly obvious you don't actually know what lectins are. I'll give you a hint. They are required for normal body function. They are part of the immune system.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but they're still not healthy for you.

Do you have any actual research to back this up?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Supposedly it was according to the blood type diet, so no, there is no real research.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    almond...look at your local co-op or whole foods store where you can grind your own! (i.e. push a button and watch a machine squeeze nuts into creamy butter)
    Do you need raw almonds or roasted almonds for this?
  • rml_16
    Options

She has the Blood Type Diet, which has been widely debunked. You don't eat raw beans because you can't bite into them and paleolithic man would have not had a way to cook them to be edible. The logic is flawed.