I think I need more protein, what can I eat?

Options
13»

Replies

• jap1148
    jap1148 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic too...I totally understand the limiting carbs. I find if I eat my carbs between breakfast and lunch, then eat high veggie/protein combo at dinner, then my sugar doesn't spike. Almonds are perfect for a snack, as is PB2-it's a peanut butter substitute that is low fat and low calorie but absolutely delicious. Quinoa is another favorite of mine, and you can make them into burgers with ease. Cottage cheese, string cheese, even a glass of low fat milk with the almonds. Sometimes I just eat chicken breast that I roasted and munch on that. I don't miss the carbs really, and I seem to keep my energy up. One thing I do, though, is eat a carby snack if I'm going out to walk or exercise-the exercise keeps me from spiking and gives me the energy for the exercise. Always eat carbs with a protein too! Hope this helps-understand this is what works for ME, you have to play around with what works for you.

Does PB2 have less carbs than regular stuff? Once in a while I treat myself to a little regular PB but at random times it messes up my BG. I've had to give up milk. I'm working on giving up my one piece of fruit too. I love fruit but the extra carbs are still a problem.
    [/quote

PB2 has 5 gms of carbs, 2 gms fiber, 1.5 gms fat, 5 gms protein. It really is my favorite indulgence because I don't feel guilty eating it. But it isn't horrible to eat the real stuff every now and then. ]
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to use protein shakes, I use NOW sports whey protein powder. It's 1 g carb/25 protein. There's also an egg white version. You'll probably want to sweeten it with something. Since I am not diabetic, I use ovatline or fruit. I like it with almond milk, unsweetened, which is also lowcarb.

Other than that, my suggestion is make up extra chicken for the week (crockpot or grill), or my favorite staple, turkey breast burgers (cilantro, ginger, and jalapeno) and supplement with those.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to go to a professional and have some blood work and other tests done. More protein may not be what you need. A better diet? Less exercise, perhaps? Medication to help control your BG? After all of that exercise, is your body toned or soft? Consult an expert. You won't regret it in the long run.

My mother is a diabetic. Her doctor switched her brand of insulin late last year. For the first time in 2 decades, her BG levels are under control and she's actually lost about 50 lbs. without even trying. Her energy level is up, too. Her body is finally working like it's supposed to.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Something with a face.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Salmon is super high in protein and has healthy fat, egg whites are low cal, low fat, high protein. Greek yogurt can be quite low in carbs and high in protein with as much fat as you want from full to 2% to 0%. Shrimp low cal, low fat, high protein. I really love gnc egg protein powder, only 3 carbs with 25 grams of protein, but it's kinda high in sodium.

Pretty much the animal kingdom is going to be your best best if you want to avoid the carbs. Good luck!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to use protein shakes, I use NOW sports whey protein powder. It's 1 g carb/25 protein. There's also an egg white version. You'll probably want to sweeten it with something. Since I am not diabetic, I use ovatline or fruit. I like it with almond milk, unsweetened, which is also lowcarb.

Other than that, my suggestion is make up extra chicken for the week (crockpot or grill), or my favorite staple, turkey breast burgers (cilantro, ginger, and jalapeno) and supplement with those.

Mmmmm those turkey breast burgers sound yummy :)
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs. You need them to survive. The only carbs you really need to limit are refined ones, like the ones that come from white bread (they cause your blood sugar to spike). I would try to eat Greek yogurt every day. Eggs, as you said, are also a great source. Feel free to look at my diary as I tend to get over 100 grams of protein a day.

So refined carbs are the only ones that cause a spike in blood sugar?
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    nuts, peanuts, almonds, soy

& beans!

that's what I eat!
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like making little protein nibble things by slicing a cucumber and then putting a teaspoon of light cottage cheese onto the slices of cucumber then a teaspoon of tuna and then I slice up cherry tomatoes and put a slice on top and you have little protein nibbles with a little to no carbs =]

6737fb16.jpg
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump