Greatest concert/play/live performance you ever saw?

Options

Replies

• luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just a side note..... The most amusing concert I ever saw was Ted Nugent and Jackyl. Ted was out on stage shooting arrows at this giant fake elk and Jackyl had real chain saws for the Lumberjack song. I couldn't tell you if the music was good (...probably not), but it was definitely entertaining and memorable!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Papa Roach in 2009, my first concert when I was 15 :]
    It was so awesome in fact that someone took a dump in the middle of the arena 'cos they didn't want to miss any of it.... ew aha.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but Blue Man Group is the best show I have ever seen as far as entertainment value for the bucks spent. I have seen several rock bands ( mostly 80's bands like Van Halen, Def Lepard, Motley Crue, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Chicago) and a couple country shows. Blue Man is the most entertaining.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    1. U2, Elevation Tour, Slane Castle(Red hots opened) Day will stay with me for the rest of my life
    2. Arcade Fire at Oxegen Music Festival
    3. U2 360 Tour, Croke Park, crazy crazy day. Only for the photos I'd struggle to remember any of it

OMG would DIE to see U2 at Slane Castle... LUCKY!!

It was truly amazing, it was sunny, crowd was amazing, the venue was super, just as it went dark they came onto the stage and BOOM straight into ELEVATION. Slane is not all that far from me, 45minute drive. So the Stones playing there as well
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    we go to close to 60 concerts a year so bear with me..... the shockingly good ones were Bare Naked Ladies (don't really like their music but they were awesome live), The Ohio Players, and Nickleback, although they relied heavily on pyrotechnics)

The most amazing ones were Morris Day and the Time, Rock Sugar (google it, you won't be disappointed), don't judge me but Marilyn Manson was very awesome in 97. Alice Cooper, of course, ZZ Top, NKOTB in the early 90s, Tesla in the early 90s, Korn, Slightly Stoopid, Steve Miller Band, Black Crows, Ke$ha, and CAKE! Omg, Cake! Tori Amos, Snoop Dogg, Alanis, erry Lee Lewis...and many more I am forgetting I am sure.

Worst shows ever- Puddle of Mudd, 30 Seconds to Mars *omg, the worst I have ever seen* Buck Cherry

Looking forward to adding the Red Hot Chili Peppers to one of these in October.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Rings at Seattle Symphony with Howard Shore. Awesome, awesome experience.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels concert way back when, But the best show ever IMO is Phantom of the opera with Sara Brightman. Not sure if she's doing it any more though.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Lenny Kravitz. When he had waist-length dredlocks.

He is so hot!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Joe walsh live anywhere!

Going to see him next month
  • Angybabefitzg
    Angybabefitzg Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Best concert I have ever seen was Jason Mraz in Santa Barbara (he's one of my favorites).
    Second best was seeing Third Eye Blind play at the Riverside County Fair.
    Third best was seeing Blue Oyster Cult.
    Fourth best was Thrice/Story of the Year at A Taste of Chaos tour in Long Beach.

Best play I have ever seen was Lion King at the Pantages Theater or Zumanity by Cirque du Soilel.
    Best live opera I have ever see is probably a toss up between Don Giovanni and Phantom of the Opera (at the Pantages again).

I guess I can't really follow directions but I thought I'd share!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    we go to close to 60 concerts a year so bear with me..... the shockingly good ones were Bare Naked Ladies (don't really like their music but they were awesome live), The Ohio Players, and Nickleback, although they relied heavily on pyrotechnics)

The most amazing ones were Morris Day and the Time, Rock Sugar (google it, you won't be disappointed), don't judge me but Marilyn Manson was very awesome in 97. Alice Cooper, of course, ZZ Top, NKOTB in the early 90s, Tesla in the early 90s, Korn, Slightly Stoopid, Steve Miller Band, Black Crows, Ke$ha, and CAKE! Omg, Cake! Tori Amos, Snoop Dogg, Alanis, erry Lee Lewis...and many more I am forgetting I am sure.

Worst shows ever- Puddle of Mudd, 30 Seconds to Mars *omg, the worst I have ever seen* Buck Cherry

Looking forward to adding the Red Hot Chili Peppers to one of these in October.

I would have given anything to have been at a 90's Marilyn Manson show, but alas, I was only 4 years old in 1997 :[ hahaha.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Concert:

6831_508775434147_135600294_30297965_8344453_n.jpg

The Decemberists in 2009 performing their entire Hazards of Love album start to finish featuring Becky Stark (pictured) and Shara Worden. Not only did they perform an entire album, the second half of the show was some of their other songs, new songs from The King Is Dead, and Becky & Shara did the most amazing cover of Heart's "Crazy on You!" FANTASTIC vocalists, show, lighting, music... it was all fabulous.

Musical:

Spring Awakening on Broadway with Jonathan Groff and Lea Michele. The composer, Duncan Sheik, has been one of my favorite singer songwriters since the 90s, and this story is so powerful. LOVE.
  • lwright0001
    Options
    My favorite band live is the Counting Crows, I have seen them several times starting when they opened for Cracker on their first tour in the early 90's and the last time I saw them was about 1 1/2 years ago, their show is intense and emotional....I have always loved it, however the best show I ever saw was Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band on the Born In The USA tour in Chicago at Soldier Field...August 9, 1985. They played for over 4 hours.....
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1985? Texas Sequicentennial and NASA 25th commemorative concert in Houston. Jean Michel Jarre and band with Kirk Whalum on sax and the city skyline of Houston as the backdrop for a laser light show and fireworks display set off from the buildings that remains the best synchronization of music, visuals, pyrotechnics, and drama I have ever seen. I think 1.3 million people saw it so I bet some MFP'ers were there with me. And it was free.

2nd best - any live show seen at Preservation Hall, in the French Quarter. Transcendent.

I am starting to remember more: Return to Forever - Santa Cruz 1975; Leon Redbone followed by Tom Waits, Pawtucket, RI 1976
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I saw The Three Tenors in concert on the Champs de Mars at the foot of the Eiffel Tower in Paris in '98. THE most beautiful experience ever.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    As concerts go, I saw Jack Wagner in 1986 (don't judge me! :laugh:) I was 14 and was second row. He touched my finger as he went by slapping hand with the audience. I was so in love with him (still am :love: ) and it was my first "cool" concert I went to.

Now as for live performances...hands down Lion King on stage! The opening song was worth the price of admission alone. I was so amazing!!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    concert - Sir Paul McCartney at Comerica Park in Detroit Michigan in the summer of 2011.
    concert - Foo Fighters at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills MI in the fall of 2011.
    play - Lion King at the Fisher Theatre in Detroit in probablyyyyy, 2003?
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but Blue Man Group is the best show I have ever seen as far as entertainment value for the bucks spent. I have seen several rock bands ( mostly 80's bands like Van Halen, Def Lepard, Motley Crue, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Chicago) and a couple country shows. Blue Man is the most entertaining.

I have heard this!
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Depeche Mode have put on by far the best concerts I've ever seen. They are incredible at getting the crowd going and each time I've seen them the whole crowd has been up and screaming at the top of our voices...including my shy 15 year old daughter who I dragged along once. Seen them 3 times and a partner who was in PR and who had thus seen loads of the "best" super groups and performers and who didnt like DM (no taste that girl ;) ) said they were the second best she'd ever seen.

Most moving thing I've seen was La Boheme sung in English by Opera North. I was in tears at the end and they deservedly received a standing ovation....and spookily enough my ipod chose this very moment to play Mimi's dying song... hell of a coincidence that. considering it one of of 9,500 songs I'm currently listening to at random.... and I think I have some dust or something in my eyes.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    janis joplin with big brother and the holding company at the electric factory in philly in 1968 - up close and personal

jimi hendrix at the spectrum in philly in 1969 - greatest axe man ever imo

dead and gone but their legends live on

OH MY GOSH............

I envy you ..............Janis Joplin, Live? Hendrix, Live? You rock, man.

My greatest concert ever was James Taylor and Carole King, the Troubadour Tour (not the original Troubador, mind you ;) A few years ago in Minneapolis. It was awesome ........I was close enough to get THIS pic:

JamesTaylorCaroleKing5-25-10-1.jpg

Also enjoyed the Doobie Bros in about 1977........the air was thick with smoke, and we're not talkin' ciggies! :smokin: :smokin:

Am going to the Beatles LOVE! show in Vegas in May............that one might top the previous, we'll see.
    ===========

DANG IT.......can someone help me understand why my photobucket photos won't post here? I DO know how to post pics....and I made the album public.........but it still is giving me headaches :sad: