Zumba for really big (280+lbs ) girls/ guys ?

Options

Replies

• Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used to be involved with zumba and LOVED it! It's definitely fun and helps you get out and doing something which is important. Zumba would be a fun and effective way to start. Just some advice, don't care how you look while doing it. Just make sure you are constantly moving your arms hips and feet.
  • Tobeylee
    Tobeylee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started this when I was 215 lbs...And although I had already been going to the gym I didn't notice any dramatic loss until I started Zumba. Hopefully your instructor is as awesome as mine cause he didn't care that I couldn't do the actual moves as long as I kept moving. And although it was exhausting at times it was soooooo fun I didn't notice. DO IT! I have lost almost 40 lbs and Zumba was the most fun I had exorcising!
  • kellybug123
    kellybug123 Posts: 240
    Options
    I starte attending a Zumba class when I weighed around 300 pounds. Now I teach a Cardio Dance/Zumba class....Go For it!!! You never know until you try. Also, be sure to give it a few times before you make a decision on whether you like it or not. Just get in there and shake your attitude. I tell my ladies in my class all the time, the more you shake it, the more calories you'll burn. Good Luck! Hope you have fun :)
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I've heard wonderful things about Zumba and in a couple of days, I'm going to my first class. I'm so excited and terrified all at the same time.

Can't wait to hear how you enjoyed your class!

~Teri
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Girllllllllllllll it doesnt matter! get out there and shake it..
  • verodr1208
    verodr1208 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it...I love Zumba!!
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! Yes I've done Zumba, it is FUN and it's a great workout. It's pretty much high energy dancing :) ENJOY and good luck on your journey!
  • Panda_Warrior
    Options
    WOW!!! you are all so awesome supportive ! :D so glad i joined MFP and that I actually asked this question that ive had on my mind for a while!
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    love zumba n the beginning being in 200's. but i bought it for my wii! u will do great...i recommend you try it...takes ur breath away and fun
  • Misty_Cathey
    Misty_Cathey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am big and I started out with Zumba and I modified it to work for me ....now that I am 28 pounds lighter I can do all the jumping.
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    Go for it! I take Zumba twice a week and there are people of all sizes, ages and ability levels. If you teacher is any good at all, they will show lower and higher impact variations of the moves; just listen to your body.
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Como no!?! It's all about dancing and moving the hips with attitude. Fun, and a hell of a work out. :D
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I WISH I hadn't waited so long to try Zumba. I go 3 times a week now, and love it! It's a great calorie burn and so much fun! Just go and have a good time! You don't have to be able to do all of the moves, just keep moving! Nobody will be watching you, they will all be watching the instructor.
  • triciabecerra
    triciabecerra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fantastic if you like dancing! I love it! If I had time to do it everyday two hours a day I would!! Go for it!!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I've got all the DVD's they offered 2 years ago. I've tried them at 304 pounds, 270 pounds, and about to try them again at 244 pounds. My biggest problem is that I have no rhythm. I can get my feet to do the movements, but when they throw in the arm movements I trip over my feet. But it's fun and it's the point of getting up and moving that is the best part. Heck I couldn't dance when I was a 170 pounds either... LOL
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    zumba is real fun and you should go for it!.. I started with it when i was around 190 lbs.. now im down to 170
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba last month and when I started I weighed 241. I cannot do the jumping so I march in place with my knees as high as they will go. I have found out that I am extremely uncoordinated and sometimes everyone is going a different direction. Just have fun and move to the music.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes try it! I was 305 and 5'7 when I took my first Zumba class and I love it and use it as my base cardio today...love love love it!!!
  • mattnjodie7382
    Options
    I started doing Zumba when I was around 250 pounds, maybe a little heavier. I'm around 100 pounds lighter than that now. If there are things you can't do (like the jumping, for instance), just keep moving. It doesn't matter if you don't do it perfectly.

It's a great workout and is a lot of fun. You can do it.

Couldnt have said it better!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump I wobble my way with it, but one day I will do all of that ZUMBA dance . Just do it and please don't worry . HAVE FUN.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!