Zumba for really big (280+lbs ) girls/ guys ?

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    300+ lbs. man that does Zumba. I am awesome too! :bigsmile:
    Disclaimer: awesome in this context means a great example of someone who does Zumba badly.

I stick out of course. being 1 of 2 men in a class full of women. I don't care though I have fun. according to my Polar HRM I burn 700-1100 for 1 hr.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I started my first Zumba class at 230 lbs, having really not exercised since I was in my 20's. I can attribute a large part of my 70 lb weight loss to taking classes and then eventually becoming an instructor. It's pretty forgiving, and you can start it at any fitness level and vary your workout according to what you're able to physically do. It'll be fun :)
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would say just go for it...i am not in a gym doing Zumba but i do it @ home it fun and i am at 275...so if i can do it you can do it...well have FUN whatever you decide to do :smile:
  • DDorame
    DDorame Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!!! I use to love doing Zumba had to stop since I work full time and go to night school and kids and all had no time but as soon as the semester is over im going back cant wait........I'm 5'6" and use to weight 280 back in DEC 2011 and lost 10lbs before joining MFP in the end of Jan and Im at 245 as of today for a total of 35lbs lost this site has really helped me alot if I can do it anyone can!!!! :) my goal for now is to be under 200 I like being thick but I might go down more once I reach my goal......... Dont think of it as a Diet think of it as a life style, You will do great just wait and see :D
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was 242 when I started Zumba. At first I thought I was going to pass out in class. But I found a great instructor that stressed doing what you could, because what's important is that you are moving! Now I am down to 210 and I can attribute Zumba to a lot of it. I love love love it. I am a terrible dancer, but I have so much fun that I don't care what I look like. I day go for it and don't give up after the first few classes. Find an instructor that you really like and keep going back to their class. You will learn the steps and songs and you will feel more confident as you go!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I am basically the same size as you are... about ten lbs less... and when I started Zumba last fall I lost 18 lbs in a month! I loved it :) I went every day to the gym, alternating lifting weights and zumba every other day and I ate very healthy.
  • QueChulaYo
    Options
    300+ lbs. man that does Zumba. I am awesome too! :bigsmile:
    Disclaimer: awesome in this context means a great example of someone who does Zumba badly.

I stick out of course. being 1 of 2 men in a class full of women. I don't care though I have fun. according to my Polar HRM I burn 700-1100 for 1 hr.

Excellent!!! I agree with using a Heart rate monitor, keeps you in target range, and pushes you to get there!!

Some great advice, how about doing the dvd's at home too? .... but the class is always better since there is so much energy during the class.. one piece of advice i would suggest, "tell your mind to get out of your body's way" its the best feeling, you can do it, see it and now go and make it happen! Good Luck.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I took my first Zumba class on Monday, and I weight 240. There were ladies in there that were heavier than me as well. I suggest you do it and enjoy it.
  • cyraen
    cyraen Posts: 1
    Options
    Zumba is SO much fun. I was 319 when I started. It's a great exercise because you can totally modify things for your skill level. At first, I couldn't do some of the steps that included jumps (I just did the steps) and that was great. And as I got stronger, I started doing more jumps.

Zumba is great for everyone, including anyone who is overweight or older . The best part about it is it's fun. You feel sexy and stronger when you're done working out and the hour goes by fast usually. I've never been so eager to exercise. It's changing my life. :)

Let us know if you try it and like it!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hello! I do not do Zumba, never have liked dancing much. BUT my sister started at about 285 lbs doing Zumba and trying to eat healthier and she absolutely LOOOOOVES Zumba! She goes a few times per week and just loves it. :D I'm not sure about her weight currently, not something I usually ask (lol) but I do know that she had lost about 20 in the first few months. GL
  • butjuli
    butjuli Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go for it! It doesn't matter what size you are. Zumba is for everyone. I'm not the greatest dancer, and I certainly can't master most of the moves, but they say as long as you're moving the entire time you're getting a good workout. Any workout is only as hard as you make it. Just adapt it to you, and you'll do superbly =]
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I do it at home with the Wii...I love it...its a great workout...I started 2 weeks ago and I am getting the hang of the steps... Believe me I do not jump (237 pounds, started at 271) It just makes me feel like I did a good thing for myself...gets the blood pumping and sweat...oh my I sweat doing that like no other exercise I do....It gets easier as you go.
  • DIVIN3_B3AUTY
    Options
    GIRL YOU BETTER GET OUT THERE AND SHAKE YOUR BOOTY!!! I WAS AT 294 MY HIGHEST WHEN I FIRST STARTED ZUMBA AND I HAD GREAT RESULTS, DONT GET ME WRONG I WAS TIRED AND BREATHING HEAVY BUT I PACED MYSELF. I KNEW GOING IN I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN THE PACE OF THE INSTRUCTOR BUT I WOULD STILL GIVE IT MY ALL. I LOST ABOUT 20LBS IN 2 MONTHS AND I WASN'T EATING WELL AT ALL AT THE TIME. I SUGGEST YOU GO FOR IT WHAT DO HAVE TO LOSE?? ITS REALLY FUN THO IF YOU LOVE TO DANCE!!!! :smile:
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    I'm not that heavy, but when I attend Zumba, I definitely see ladies shaking it who are about that weight. My Zumba instructor makes a point to say before each class that even if you can't do every move 100%, if you keep moving, even marching in place, that's all you need. Just keeping your heart rate up for 45 minutes - 1 hour is fantastic! So...GO FOR IT! It's so much fun!
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    do it!
    im 5'7, 135 lbs but have two left feet and am very shy. a neighbor of mine went with me and i had a blast!
    still cant make my hips move like everyone else but it was a great workout and i laughed the whole time.
    shop around for a great teacher - mine makes me feel like she invited me to her awesome dance party and shes happy i made it!
    (penny at lifetime fitness)

ps, when i went i was surprised to see people who looked just like me...moms, grandmas, even guys :)
    thought they were all going to be mini shakiras :)
  • AnnaMoney
    Options
    Go For It! I did it for the first time (196) and had a blast. My girlfriends are in the 200s and had fun doing it. It was hard at first. But I just blocked everyone else out in my mind that was in the room and just told myself have FUN! Live Life! Now I can say I did It!!!!!
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started with Aqua Zumba at almost 300 lbs. I have lost 30 lbs. doing River Trek and Aqua Zumba ( I was worried about my knees). My Zumba instructor said she was at 285 lbs 2 years ago and she has Michelle Obama arms now and looks fabulous. She lost her weight with Zumba and weight training (and diet of course). I would definitely say go for it!
  • casscamp
    casscamp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Zumba is something that I love to do. Just remember that it can be difficult sometimes and that if you just keep moving and enjoy yourself and don't get frustrated you will have a blast. My mom is coming to visit in 2 months and when she comes I am going to take her to a class. Time flies by whereas when i do other cardio stuff on my own it doesn't. Good luck!
  • graciemom828
    Options
    I think you should start and go at your own pace - congrats to you. Also, is there a Curves in your area? That might be something you look into - it was wonderful for me to get a start into exercise with that. Exercise is all great - even if it is 10 minutes several times per day. Way to go!:smile:
  • crysy1
    crysy1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hi. im right around 295 and i love zumba. im not cordinated and i jiggle in places i shouldn't. lol! but i love it. i do it in my own home though. cant afford the membership at the gym. i have a wii & an xbox and i bought the games. i love them. all zumba reallly does is gets u up and moving! and that is what is important! so i say go for it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!