What did you give up for new exercise routine?

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
And how hard was it to give up, or stay away from that other activity to keep to your workouts?

Replies

• militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Pride lol
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Free time. A 4.0. But hey, kids first, fitness second, husband a close third, and then school now. I was a much fatter and smarter student during the fall semester
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just extra hour sleep in the morning. The first week was hard but as fitness and routine got going, it got a hell of a lot easier.

What about you?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i gave up 45-60 minutes of sitting on my *kitten*
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I gave up Facebook. It wasn't that hard since I deleted my account. I can never get it back. I don't regret my decision. =)
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i gave up an extra hour of sleep in the mornings and an extra hour of sitting on my *kitten* in the afternoons. the second one was much easier to give up. i have never been a morning person, but i feel like if i just roll out of bed and get to the gym before my body realizes what i am doing its not so bad. also, taking fitness classes for my morning workout has helped hold me more accountable because i know the people in the classes are expecting to see me now.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When I first started running again, nothing. When I started school, I tried letting some housework slide a bit, to make more time, but it came down to the significant other wanting a spotless house, while I aimed for 4.0 in school, running, and still taking care of my daughter. He insisted the house was turning into some sort of sloppy terror (heaven forbid he can't do dishes now and again), and got peeved at me knstead of just picking up some of the slack.

So he now has a spotless house, and I get more sleep in the other room. By myself. And it wasn't that hard to give that up.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I gave up a little chunk of saved money for my fitness necessities (gym membership, shoes, clothing, books, ipodnano) And that's pretty much it. I'm very lucky because at this moment in my life I have a lot of time to devote to fitness, and having no excuses or many commitments make it pretty easy to workout 5-6 days a week.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    i gave up 45-60 minutes of sitting on my *kitten*
    Hey, me too!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    excuses.

"I'm not athletic naturally"

"I'll look dumb or silly"

"I hate being sweaty"
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I actually just started today. I gave up 30 minutes sleep this morning and 30 minutes sitting on my butt watching tv tonight. Walking has been more fun for me, My kids like to ride their bikes while I walk. I also take them to the park and let them play while I walk the track.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I've given up 77lbs to exercise, it's so greedy :grumble:

but the real question is: what would you do for a Klondike bar?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have just completely changed my routine after 8 years!

I used to do about 13.5 hours cardio a week, most of it dance, some of it spin, cycling and paddleboarding. On Feb 5, I fell down a mountain when I meant to be skiing it (don't recommend that), tore my MCL, and had to stop everything. After about 3.5 weeks I still couldn't walk very well but I could spin. That was it. After about 6 weeks and still unable to resume most of my cardio activities, I decided I would start lifting heavy free weights.

Now I'm doing free weights 3x week, spinning 2x and paddleboarding only 1x. No dance. No cycling.

I love the weights, (can't believe HOW much I love them) but it is much more strenuous than I imagined. It's been 11 weeks since my accident and I'm just about physically able to dance and cycle again, BUT I'M SO TIRED from heavy lifting, ha!

Not sure how I will incorporate some of my dancing and cycling back in, but I did squat 100# and row 110# today, so woo-hoo! It's exhausting to be a badass, though :laugh:
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Funny, just wrote something similar on another post :)

Gave up hanging out/staying up late. Used to be a night owl but now I'm in bed by 10:30/11pm and out the door by 5:30am the next day. Wouldn't go back though as I truly cherish my morning routine. In fact you would probably have to pay me quite a bit of money to stop working out in the early morning before work....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think I'm giving up TV time, projects and research time.

Hard to remember because I've always enjoyed the exercise. Just didn't always eat smart, or workout smart enough.

Oh, gave up sickness and injury as sidetrackers!
  • nroisland
    nroisland Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Naps... Having a 2 year old and a 1 year old these were precious.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    excuses.

"I'm not athletic naturally"

"I'll look dumb or silly"

"I hate being sweaty"

Like this 7 years ago
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I've recently changed up my routine as part of my bulking up phase. I reakon I've gained & given up the following:

Given up

1.) Some sleep: I get up half an hour earlier than previous (4.15am) so I can take my first protein shake and have my oats leaving around an hour before I hit the gym.
    2.) Time with the kids: Sad but true. Preparing all my foods for the following day takes me around an hour after I get back from work. I usually need to prepare my own dinner also.

Gained

1.) Confidence: Up until recently, I wouldnt go anywhere near the weights area of my gym. It was a bit intimidating. Now I'm up there and doing my thing in complete confidence. Seems silly really that I had this anxiety about the weights area.
  • kayhatlen
    kayhatlen Posts: 46
    Options
    Gave up going on Facebook everyday and playing my games on it. Not a bad trade-off. :smile:
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I've given up 77lbs to exercise, it's so greedy :grumble:

but the real question is: what would you do for a Klondike bar?

Greedy indeed. I gave up 75.

I'm still ashamed of the things i did for a klondike bar.......