will chocolate milk after workouts make me bulky?

Options
13»

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    True story:

When I was younger, I used to think that men from different ethnic backgrounds used to also have different colored... *ahem* protein shakes (:wink:)

Then I hit highschool and I wondered where all the chocolate milk was... :embarassed:

wow.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    True story:

When I was younger, I used to think that men from different ethnic backgrounds used to also have different colored... *ahem* protein shakes (:wink:)

Then I hit highschool and I wondered where all the chocolate milk was... :embarassed:

wow.

Yep. how you doin? :wink:
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am on day 46 of P90X. I always drank low-fat chocolate milk after my workouts (1 cup). This week I switched to chocolate almond milk and I have never been so sore. Even more so than week 1 of P90X. I am going back to chocolate milk TONIGHT.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    True story:

wow.

Yep. how you doin? :wink:

I'm pretty good

no chocolate milk here, though
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    No, it will not bulk you up. It may be a little high in its sugar content but will certainly not bulk you up. Many other items will need to be there to bulk, for example you need cals and protein to build muscle mass.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Women who "bulk up" also get deeper voices and facial hair. Chocolate milk isn't likely to have that effect.

They give the cows hormones that will make you bulky, get facial hair AND your voice will drop several octaves. It's been medically proven.

HAHAHA Good one. Cows are given estrogen and bovine growth howmone to continue lactating beyond a natural pregnancy and boost milk production during lactation. It is debatable whether the hormones given to the cows are medically significant in comparison to the natural hormones the cow produces while lactating. Certainly it is not medically proven that it will drop your voice or give women facial hair. If anything at all the opposite would be true. Good effort though.

You can buy synthetic-hormone free milk if it makes you feel better. It also won't give you facial hair or a deeper voice.

For further reading http://classic.the-scientist.com/2007/2/1/34/1/
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

HAHAHA Good one. Cows are given estrogen and bovine growth howmone to continue lactating beyond a natural pregnancy and boost milk production during lactation. It is debatable whether the hormones given to the cows are medically significant in comparison to the natural hormones the cow produces while lactating. Certainly it is not medically proven that it will drop your voice or give women facial hair. If anything at all the opposite would be true. Good effort though.

You can buy synthetic-hormone free milk if it makes you feel better. It also won't give you facial hair or a deeper voice.

For further reading http://classic.the-scientist.com/2007/2/1/34/1/

Aww :flowerforyou:

(we need a head pat emoticon)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah it will make you bulky!! After 3.231 oz you will grow 4" and be able to bench press a Volvo.

Lies!!! I could only bench press a VW Beetle after 16oz.:laugh:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    OUCH!

That hurt when my head hit the desk...
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The protein in chocolate milk will not necessarily make you bulky....unless you drink a TON. When you workout you are tearing your muscle. The protein you eat breaks down into amino acids that your body needs to repair the torn muscles. The sugar in chocolate milk help as simple sugars such as glucose to replace the loss of carbohydrates during your workout. We have a glucose storing system called glycogen that when we workout for a while we start depleting our blood glucose and muscle glycogen. It's necessary to replace what is lost immediately after a workout so you have enough energy to last through out the day and you won't be as sore, but no later than 2 hours after that so that your body won't become reliant on breaking down your protein, which is opposite of what you want.

Edit:
    If you over consume protein and carbohydrates it WILL be converted to fat. Fat is the only unlimited macronutrient storage in the body! Sad but true. Once your muscle glycogen and protein stores become full there's no where left for it to go but to your added layer of body fat.