Clean eating?

Options
I have gotten pretty good about cutting out junk food, I don't drink soda, or anything fried. I stay around 1200 cals a day... but those calories do sometimes consist of baked chips, or Special K cracker chips, or Lean Cuisine meals... things like that. I want to eat more "clean" but I am not exactly sure what that is exactly? Is it all fruits and veggies? Nothing from a box? What exactly is "clean eating" and how can I incorporate it in everyday meals...

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Lean meats, whole grains, healthy fats... probably stuff like that.
  • kballard66
    Options
    Also, no white stuff...bread, potatoes, rice or dairy
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I think I eat clean (mostly). However, I also know that there are people who would say that I don't.

For me, I cut out things like Lean Cuisines, by cooking chicken and vegetables on Sunday and dividing it up over the week. So, I would make a chicken stir fry out of chicken, fresh veggies, olive oil, spices, soy sauce, divide it up, sometimes add brown rice. That way, I'm getting less preservatives.

That's not to say I never eat Lean Cuisines, I just eat them less.

I try to stay away from baked chips. I would rather bake my own at home (if I can).

I think diet food, although often lower in calories is less "clean" than non-diet foods. For example, you can get ice cream with milk, sugar and eggs only (or you can make it at home that way). Or you can get diet ice cream with a bunch of things I can't pronounce.

So, in short, it means different things to different people. For me, it's making more at home (which means spending a lot of time in the kitchen) and eating less diet foods (which leads to more calories, but also more satisfaction (I think)).
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat clean. I cheat a tiny bit every couple of days with a lollipop and I do chew sugarless gum and occasionally use international delight in my coffee.
    you can have bacon, eggs, hard boiled eggs, smoothies (make with protein powder/ almond milks), healthy peanut butter, avacados, tuna fish, seafood, chicken, cheeses, veggies, fruits, lean meats,nuts seeds .
    There's not much you can't have- just prepared stuff that comes in boxes- chips/frozen meals/juices
    I am staying away from pasta, breads, rice for now. I try to keep it under 100 carbs and Iget that without eating bread stuff.
    Check out the paleo eating groups and mike's apple. IIt's very interesting and helped me lose the last 8lbs.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Mostly raw foods.

One-ingredient items.

Basically anything found on the outside aisles of the grocery store.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm also gonna add that 'incorporating it into every day meals' means you're gonna hafta start cooking. Not just popping something into the oven or microwave.

;)
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    livestrong.com has a great article about clean eating. Also- there is a clean living magazine that has great recipes . Good Luck ! Do what works best for you =)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Also, no white stuff...bread, potatoes, rice or dairy
    What about blue potatoes and chocolate milk. lol.
  • codylawson
    codylawson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nothing is Unhealthy or clean. Food is food. Just worry about your calories, protein, carbs and fats. You will still lose weight if u follow that rule. I drink soda, eat chips and I dont feel bad as long as i dont go over calories. I have been following this rule for 10 days, maybe its not the best rule, but its a diet I can keep for a very long time.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use the antibacterial soap to clean the food. It kills 99.9% of the germs.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's eating food you've prepared yourself so you have more control over what goes in. It's about avoiding chemicals, fake (ie manufactued) food and labeling issues. The frozen meals would not be considered clean but homemade bread from scratch,which will go bad in a day or two on the counter, is. Bread from the store, which can sit on your counter for a week and not change, is not. Real food goes bad. It's has nothing to do with weight or calories. Btw...you will feel so much better!
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Generally "clean eating" is eating well balanced meals that are healthly. They are all natural, not necessarily organic, but are high in nutritous vlaue. If you are eating meat you will gravitate towards leaner meats that are still packed with protein. Instead of eating white bread a clean eater would eat a source of carbs that adds more value (and is gluten free). They will also eat fruits and veggies instead of empty calories found in most snacks.

The idea of clean eating is to add value to/maximize your calories. The "cleaner" you eat, the more food you will consuming and the more nutrients your body will receive. It's about maximizing your caloric intake.

In perspective: A McDonalds meal is about 1500 calories (depending on what you get). A clean eater would be able to take those 1500 calories and spread it over 6-7 meals. Everyone on MFP essentially is taking steps to eat "cleaner", there are just degrees of "clean eating" and it varies by how hardcore you would like to be.

I have friends who only eat food if it can be harvested or hunted. That means only fresh raw foods. Anything in a can, jar, container would not be consumed. They literally only shop in the produce aisle and meat department of the grocery store and purcahse indgredients (spices etc) separatley.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm also gonna add that 'incorporating it into every day meals' means you're gonna hafta start cooking. Not just popping something into the oven or microwave.

;)

lol I cook everyday. Lean Cuisines are my lunch. But I have 4 children, so incorp. into my meals meant... How can I make my kids eat the meals I cook also lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your help! You guys have great info and ideas :) Thanks!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

;)

lol I cook everyday. Lean Cuisines are my lunch. But I have 4 children, so incorp. into my meals meant... How can I make my kids eat the meals I cook also lol

I suppose they'll eat it or starve.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Anything actually HELPFUL to add? Or no?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Anything thats not prepackaged or already cooked is clean to me. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, whole grains, etc. NOT lean cuisines, hot pockets, smart ones, instant oatmeal and crap like that.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

;)

Kids get to love it really fast. Get them cooking with you. They can help with food prep cleaning veggies and fruit enjoying the colours and smells. You can make fresh pasta with them (very fun! - they usually love rolling it out and cutting it into stripps). Homemade pizza is awesome. A good crust recipe takes about 3 days so start the dough on Wed for Friday pizza. It's not that much time but the dough rests in the fridge for long periods of time so the gluten can relax. Let them choose the toppings.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have gotten pretty good about cutting out junk food, I don't drink soda, or anything fried. I stay around 1200 cals a day... but those calories do sometimes consist of baked chips, or Special K cracker chips, or Lean Cuisine meals... things like that. I want to eat more "clean" but I am not exactly sure what that is exactly? Is it all fruits and veggies? Nothing from a box? What exactly is "clean eating" and how can I incorporate it in everyday meals...

get Tosca Renos book The Clean Eating Diet... It's awesome