Clean eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In general clean eating refers to eat foods that are as close to how they are found in nature as possible. The more processed a food or the more man-made additives it contains, the less 'clean' it is.

For example - brown rice is typically considered clean because it is minimally processed. White rice is more processed, so not clean. Brown rice flour and products made from the flour such as bread or pasta are less clean. Bread and pasta made from white flour are overly processed and not clean.

Most pre-prepared meals, such a Lean Cuizine or frozen pizza, are not clean because they are processed and usually contain a lot of additives.

Some people take it to more extremes than others, but in general the more natural a food is, the cleaner it is.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This article does a pretty good job of explaining what "Clean Eating" is. http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/qa-wednesday/qa-wednesday-what-is-clean-eating-anyway/
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Anything thats not prepackaged or already cooked is clean to me. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, whole grains, etc. NOT lean cuisines, hot pockets, smart ones, instant oatmeal and crap like that.

^^ This! It's way cheaper too because your money is going to the food not the brand. Ever notice when you buy a t-shir for example with a trademarked logo it's more money. Same with food. Kellogs is a trademark. You can just buy the oats which are fresher, have fewer chemicals and cost much less.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Clean eating = NO processed food. Whatsoever.

You could try the book Eat Clean by Tocsa Reno, she explains things in pretty clear terms and provides recipes. :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Clean eating = NO processed food. Whatsoever.

You could try the book Eat Clean by Tocsa Reno, she explains things in pretty clear terms and provides recipes. :)

I love her. Her husband just passed away last week =(
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Clean eating doesn't mean eating like a bird. You just need to be more thoughful in the indgredients you choose and what you make.

You can still makse pasta, just select whole grain that is gluten free. Instead of buying tomato sauce (which is crap anyway) you can buy tomatoes and make your own sauce (being Italian, buying store bought sauce is a crime). What kid doesn't like Spaghetti and meatballs (use extra lean ground beef or ground turkey).

You can still make pizza too. Once again the sauce will be hommemade (better than the canned stuff anyway) and you can select toppings that are clean (spinach, chicken, whatever your kids like, etc.)

Grilled cheese, with homemade bread (or store bought gluten free to save time) and real cheese (not k-r-a-f-t singles, which is more plastic than cheese).

Everything you make now can be altered slightly to be clean and your kids won't notice the difference.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Clean eating doesn't mean eating like a bird. You just need to be more thoughful in the indgredients you choose and what you make.

You can still makse pasta, just select whole grain that is gluten free. Instead of buying tomato sauce (which is crap anyway) you can buy tomatoes and make your own sauce (being Italian, buying store bought sauce is a crime). What kid doesn't like Spaghetti and meatballs (use extra lean ground beef or ground turkey).

You can still make pizza too. Once again the sauce will be hommemade (better than the canned stuff anyway) and you can select toppings that are clean (spinach, chicken, whatever your kids like, etc.)

Grilled cheese, with homemade bread (or store bought gluten free to save time) and real cheese (not k-r-a-f-t singles, which is more plastic than cheese).

Everything you make now can be altered slightly to be clean and your kids won't notice the difference.

Thanks! That's what I am looking for... recipes and ways to alternate what we already eat into a healthier version. I can't sit down every night to dinner in a family of 6 with just fruits and veggies... everyone would attack me lol
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Also, no white stuff...bread, potatoes, rice or dairy

this has to be a lie.

potatoes are just a root vegetable. its healthy in moderation.

wild rice/black rice is minimally processed.

and many forms of dairy are perfectly healthy. xP
    I think eating clean is just about eating whole, minimally processed foods.

http://eatingcleanworks.com/what-is-eating-clean.html

found this online. check it out.

i reccomend you do some personal research before bringing your question to the forums. :3
  • Meg177
    Options
    Also, no white stuff...bread, potatoes, rice or dairy

this has to be a lie.

potatoes are just a root vegetable. its healthy in moderation.

wild rice/black rice is minimally processed.

and many forms of dairy are perfectly healthy. xP
    I think eating clean is just about eating whole, minimally processed foods.

http://eatingcleanworks.com/what-is-eating-clean.html

found this online. check it out.

i reccomend you do some personal research before bringing your question to the forums. :3

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not dairy or gluten either. There have been a few threads here on this topic in the past. A quick search would yield much...

The OP could also try some of the excellent magazines available like clean eating for recipies and tips which I believe were also mentioned in previous threads.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I've done searches before, even follow people on Facebook with a clean eating site. Its just so "all over the place" for some people its nothing processed, for others its only a raw diet, for others its just eliminating a few things, for others its eliminating everything! Gluten is ok, Gluten is not ok. Thats the reason I brought it up here.... To get a better idea of what works for different people, get recipe and meal ideas, and see what the benefits are. It is a forum after all.
    I appreciate all the comments, ideas, and tips...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I've done searches before, even follow people on Facebook with a clean eating site. Its just so "all over the place" for some people its nothing processed, for others its only a raw diet, for others its just eliminating a few things, for others its eliminating everything! Gluten is ok, Gluten is not ok. Thats the reason I brought it up here.... To get a better idea of what works for different people, get recipe and meal ideas, and see what the benefits are. It is a forum after all.

I can't understand why gluten would make a difference. For me, I consider it to mean nothing processed, which I try to do as best I can, but sometimes I do eat processed foods--makes life easier. If I was going to buy a bread product, it would not be a gluten free product as those tend to be more processed and have more fillers than regular bread products.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

Get the book, it will explain it all to you. I will PM you the link, since it is against TOS to post a link for a page where you can buy it.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means something different to each person. I eat "clean", back to the source whole foods. However, I also use Protein Shakes, not clean in some's books.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you read Tosca Reno's book "Eating Clean Recharged". I've read the book and it's pretty much fresh fruits, veggies, lean meat/protein, and whole grains. The book even contains great "dessert" recipes. For the most part that's what I'm currently doing (eating clean). Still need to make additional adjustments but I will say it definitely makes the body "feel" good.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options

Get the book, it will explain it all to you. I will PM you the link, since it is against TOS to post a link for a page where you can buy it.

Thank you :)
  • Meg177
    Options

I can't understand why gluten would make a difference. For me, I consider it to mean nothing processed, which I try to do as best I can, but sometimes I do eat processed foods--makes life easier. If I was going to buy a bread product, it would not be a gluten free product as those tend to be more processed and have more fillers than regular bread products.

The only way gluten makes a difference to a clean diet is that many grains are now genetically modified (GMOs). This has increased the natural gluten in those products many times (I’ve read numbers like a 70% increase). It’s caused many of the problems we see now as celiac and gluten intolerance/allergies. I suggest using less than more. An example would be a sandwich made with sliced bread rather than a bagel (same as 4 slices of bread). Thin sliced bread is better still. Bought flour seems to be a better quality for me than store baked bread so I make my own bread. I can get organic flour so that’s a choice I can make. This may not be practical for you. There are different levels of clean eating and the idea is to do what you can to preserve your health and the health of your family.

GMOs are created in a lab, are not natural and are a huge concern for the future of our food sources. These products are aggressively marketed to farmers and, even if only one farmer in an area buys in, all those grains have crossbred and now contain the GMO gene. The manufacturer of the GMO product, Monsanto, has gone so far as to sue the farmers who are the victims of the cross breeding (patent infringement) to the point of bankrupting those farmers. It’s really hard to get non GMO wheat and corn at this point. The only wheat that won’t cross breed with the GMOs is Emmer.

GMO Salmon is scheduled for market this year.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

The only way gluten makes a difference to a clean diet is that many grains are now genetically modified (GMOs). This has increased the natural gluten in those products many times (I’ve read numbers like a 70% increase). It’s caused many of the problems we see now as celiac and gluten intolerance/allergies. I suggest using less than more. An example would be a sandwich made with sliced bread rather than a bagel (same as 4 slices of bread). Thin sliced bread is better still. Bought flour seems to be a better quality for me than store baked bread so I make my own bread. I can get organic flour so that’s a choice I can make. This may not be practical for you. There are different levels of clean eating and the idea is to do what you can to preserve your health and the health of your family.

GMOs are created in a lab, are not natural and are a huge concern for the future of our food sources. These products are aggressively marketed to farmers and, even if only one farmer in an area buys in, all those grains have crossbred and now contain the GMO gene. The manufacturer of the GMO product, Monsanto, has gone so far as to sue the farmers who are the victims of the cross breeding (patent infringement) to the point of bankrupting those farmers. It’s really hard to get non GMO wheat and corn at this point. The only wheat that won’t cross breed with the GMOs is Emmer.

GMO Salmon is scheduled for market this year.

Thanks!