Good advice your momma taught you..

Replies

• IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    My mother always said, "Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time," and "If you wake up and your self esteem is low, wear really sexy underwear."

Excellent words of wisdom, I must say.

My Cherokee grandma always said, "If one of your body parts itches, it's time to wash it."
  • All I really need to know in life, I learned in Kindergarten.

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sand pile at school.

These are the things I learned:
    Share everything.
    Play fair.
    Don't hit people.
    Put things back where you found them.
    Clean up your own mess.
    Don't take things that aren't yours.
    Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
    Wash your hands before you eat.
    Flush.
    Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
    Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
    Take a nap every afternoon.
    When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
    Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
    Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
    And then remember the ****-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.
    Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.

Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life, your work, government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world it would be if we all - the whole world - had cookies and milk at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess.

And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out in the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Go find me a good switch!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Everything is a little better with wine.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 567 Member
    "When someone shows you who they really are, you better believe em"
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    "Duo rupai ki daal gai, kuttay ki zaat pehchani gai"
    Translation

"2 bucks worth of food wasted, the bums nature was learned"

Meaning that even if a little of money or time is wasted on somebody, its good if you learn about the persons nature
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Marry a white boy!

Good thing she gave me that permission because that's all I seem to like.. lol
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 350 Member
    I don't have any catchphrases or any hard-and-fast advice, but...

Mom taught me to find beauty and joy in the little things. Birdsong, spring flowers, summer thunder, singing, fresh air, laughter.

Without fail, I am happier when I take the time to notice and revel in these things. When I let them get lost in the jumble of hectic everyday life, I am less Me. I am my richest self when I smile back at a flower I planted when it blooms, when I get lost in the fresh air on a long run, when I see the beauty in nature.

Miss you, Ma. xoxo
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    My Mother told me to "never kiss and tell". Let the girls spread the rumors.
    I listened to her advice.
    When a guy kisses and tells, it is bragging and ruins the girls reputation.
    When a girl kisses and tells, it elevates the guys reputation to the other girls.

Also, my older Brother and I had this conversation during my freshman year of high school.

Me: I have to choose an elective
    Him: Take Home ec and cooking
    Me: Why? Its gonna be nothing but a bunch of chicks.
    Him: Exactly.
    Me.. (after a minute) .Ohhhhhhh.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    "Marry someone rich" ..If only I had listened.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    My mom always taught me ridiculous stuff. Not normal things moms teach you like what the OP posted. Her classic gems include:

"Boys are stupid, honey. And when they grow into men, they're still stupid, but you learn to adapt."
    "Don't leave the house without mascara and lip gloss, at least. You never know who you'll run into."
    "If you think it makes you look fat, it probably does, so don't wear it."

or, one of my personal favorites:
    "If your friends won't tell you when you look bad or that you suck at something, you need new friends."

My mom's kinda my best friend :) wasn't always that way, but now that I'm an adult, she definitely is.

My mom's that way as well. Blunt, good advice. She's now probably close to being my best friend, same thing though, she definitely wasn't when I was younger.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    "If you and your husband start arguing, start stripping. Nobody can be angry long when they are naked"

I've actually started doing this, and boy does it work!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,576 Member
    when asking my parents why I got a crappy car after my friend showed up in a nice new car, my mom responded, "Your good looking enough that you don't need the car."
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 688 Member
    My Mom raised me and my brother both to have good manners and to treat others the way you want to be treated. Also that you should stand up for yourself and speak your mind but that you also need to know when it is appropriate to speak your mind and when it is not. You never help yourself or ask for anything when you are visiting someones house, you wait until something is offered to you. Never blow your nose at the kitchen table or when you are around poeple who are eating (i do find it totally discusting when people do this). That you should help others in need, even if you can't help financially you can always help in some way. I could go on and on. My Mom and I have always been best friends (even through my crazy teenage years). My parents were strict. Growing up I didn't always agree with them but looking back today I am glad they were so strict and I have the utmost respect for both of them.
  • My mom always taught me ridiculous stuff. Not normal things moms teach you like what the OP posted. Her classic gems include:

"Boys are stupid, honey. And when they grow into men, they're still stupid, but you learn to adapt."
    "Don't leave the house without mascara and lip gloss, at least. You never know who you'll run into."
    "If you think it makes you look fat, it probably does, so don't wear it."

or, one of my personal favorites:
    "If your friends won't tell you when you look bad or that you suck at something, you need new friends."

My mom's kinda my best friend :) wasn't always that way, but now that I'm an adult, she definitely is.

lol. Your mom sounds really cool. My mom told me a lot of similar things as well.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Never stick a hand or foot into any place you haven't already checked for snakes.

Try hard not to get into anything you don't know how to get yourself out of.

Never gamble more than you can afford to lose.

Get it in writing, or else don't count on it.

...Hunh - those all amount to just about the same thing. How about:

Wash it til it's clean, chop it into pieces about so big, cook it til it's done, and add just about the right amount of salt.

If all the other cars on the road are so far away that they can't hit you, they won't.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    If you have something to say to someone, say it to their face.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    The Lord loves a working man
    Don't trust whitey
    See a doctor and get rid of it.
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    every bit of good advice came from my grandmother...shes old school

Good girls dont need to wear underwear

Eat a piece of chocolate every day

Take pictures in the morning before gravity sets in

Never marry a man who weighs less than you

She's one in a million that grandma of mine!
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    The only phrase my mom ever used was "I brought you into this wold, I can take you out".

Dad always says "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t".