Back Strength??

Options
2»

Replies

• cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Planks and the variations lift 1 leg, lift 1 arm, lift 1 leg and 1 arm.
    Good Mornings
    Dead Lift
    Superman's
    Modified Bridge
    Rollouts on the swiss ball or sliders
    Woodchops

Probably Overhead Squats

Don't do too much at once.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Pullups- use a chair to assist you .
    ab crunches- use an exercise ball and hold a plate behind your head. Doing crunches without weight is a waste of time.
    squats- using dumbbells or a barbell
    Deadlifts - using dumbbells or a barbell
    Do each exercise 1 day per week x 4 sets. (ab crunches you can 2 days per week)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    One that's worked wonders for me is the following (I have no idea what it's called)

On hands and knees, with knees under hips and hands under shoulders
    Lift one arm straight out in front of you, hold for 30 seconds. Repeat with other arm
    Lift one leg straigh out in back of you, hold for 30 seconds. repeat with other leg.
    repeat til you're tired :)

Really work on keeping the limb straight and extended.

Next level:
    Lift one arm and the opposite leg together, hold for 30 seconds. Switch to other arm and opposite leg.
    repeat etc.

Next level:
    Lift one arm and the opposite leg together, then slowly move them out to the side (just a little bit). Per bob harper this is called "awkward airplane" lol. It will really challenge your core to keep your balance. In a pilates video I have also done this with lifting the arm & leg up and down but I found that kind of annoying.

When I started doing this progression, it was the first time I ever got actually workout sore (as opposed to achy or painful) in my lower back & I have really noticed a difference. I got it from Bob Harper's "Totally Ripped Core" video which I very highly recommend.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Any sort of deadlifts, or running is actually very good if your posture is right!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Deads, Bent Over Rows, Hyperextensions, Pullups
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've been to physio today with same problem. Gave me 2 exercises.

1. Lie flat on the floor, knees up... Slowly raise your pelvis up as high as possible, bring it back down slowly. Repeat 10 x two times a day.
    2. Lie flat on the floor. Knnes up... Slowly drop your knees all the way to the floor on the left. Repeat on the right. Repeat 10 times x two times per day.

I religiously did these last year and within weeks my back was really strong. I went from being in agony and so weak to no pain and really strong. It made exercising really easy. Been ill after major surgery and its deteriorated but atleast I know how to get it strong again. 2 great exercises!

Zara x
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts - I would recommend barbell before dumbbells. Lift heavy. It doesn't matter how many reps. Even if it is heavy to the point where you can only do one rep to failure it is progress.

And no you won't bulk up.

I refrain from floor exercises now. That's what floor ab exercises do. Make your back weak and your hip flexors weak.

There is also a "pull up hang". Grab the bar and pull yourself up maybe halfway or just PULL AND HOLD if you can't get all the way up to the bar. You will notice that your entire body is tensed up. Including your abs and back. Even if you can't do a full pull up you will still get the benefits of it. And eventually you will be doing a full pull up (of course you might already be able to do one).

Or start at the top of the bar and do a slow "reverse" pull up. Or just hold yourself at the top of the bar.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I do not like good mornings or dead lifts with weights, I hurt my low back when I was younger and prefer to stay away. If using an RB dead lifts are good. I lover hypertensions, those actually make my low back feel better.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice!!! I will def be doing most of the things mentioned!!

:heart:
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Crunches R Bad Mmmkaay.

Most likely the real culprit here is your lower abs also known as Transverse Abdominus. Especially if you have a desk job, this muscle (known in lay terms as the girdle muscle) is weak from sitting all the time.

Skip most of the other stuff and start with these: https://patienteducation.osumc.edu/Documents/dead-bug-exer.pdf

This shows you how to do them straight legged. Its super important when you do these, to make sure you are activating the correct muscle. Start in the position they show but with both feet on the floor, bent at the knees and knees slightly apart.

Place your hands over your belly almost as if you were framing a baby bump but low where your leg meets your trunk.
    Inhale - feel the muscle move
    Exhale - feel the muscle contract
    Exhale forcing more air from your lungs and feel the muscle contract even more.
    Do this until you are certain what it feels like from the muscle itself.
    When you are ready, Inhale and slowly exhale and as you do slowly lift one leg off the floor keeping it bent.
    Repeat on the other side
    If this is super easy for you, lower one leg to the floor and do the same thing lifting the lowered leg.
    repeat on the other side
    If this is still super easy for you, then do the one they show with both legs straight for the starting position.

It is IMPERATIVE that you exhale during the lift to ensure that the muscle is engaged and contracting.

I have crazy imbalances in my pelvic girdle region and this excercise was given to me by my pilates based Physical Therapist.

If you can do this then keep going starting with 3 reps per side working up to 10. When you can do 3 sets of 10 without pain you can probably do weights.

In the meantime, join us here and see if this might work for you and if you check it out ahead of time you'll know what to expect
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women