derp-derp-dog.jpg
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Those poor Canadians! LOL
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are not fluent in English like native Brits or Americans or Aussies or Kiwis or Canadians etc.
    Have a little respect for the people who learn to speak English among other languages, and cut them some slack.

I am Canadian, and would just like to point out that I am fluent in English, as are most of the Canadian population. The other portion speak French.
    (however, not to say those are the only languages spoken within Canada...)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have only been on here a week so I have no way of knowing. :)
    Right.. Because Search is broken and you don't see threads posted prior to your signup date..

Welcome to MyFitnessPal.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are not fluent in English like native Brits or Americans or Aussies or Kiwis or Canadians etc.
    Have a little respect for the people who learn to speak English among other languages, and cut them some slack.

I am Canadian, and would just like to point out that I am fluent in English, as are most of the Canadian population. The other portion speak French.

The way I interpreted that post was that they were saying that people are not fluent like Brits, canadians etc... as in we can speak fluent English, so using Canadian as an example of an English speaking country...
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

I fear that you misread this, dear. Do you really believe that she was saying that Brits, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis & Canadians do not speak English? Really, dear?
  • Niagarasailor
    Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    LOOSE THE HOUNDS

derp-derp-dog.jpg

This is amazing.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    These sort of threads to come up all the time. At the same time though, obviously people still haven't learned the difference between loose and lose, so it's not unwarranted. It does drive me insane when I see people claim they want to "loose weight," and apparently we're not allowed to correct the grammar in people's posts. You want your belt to become loose, what you want to do to your weight is lose it. It's really not that complicated
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options

I fear that you misread this, dear. Do you really believe that she was saying that Brits, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis & Canadians do not speak English? Really, dear?

Clearly, that is exactly what I thought. Dear.
  • Niagarasailor
    Options
    Right.. Because Search is broken and you don't see threads posted prior to your signup date..

Welcome to MyFitnessPal.

As in, I had no clue it would be such a big deal to have a repeat. hahaha... Horror!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Welcome to MyFitnessPal.

As in, I had no clue it would be such a big deal to have a repeat. hahaha... Horror!
    You should post a thread asking about eating back exercise calories next!
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    And actually, "loosing" is a word.

Loosing isn't a word. It's either losing or loosening depending on the context
  • Niagarasailor
    Options

Welcome to MyFitnessPal.

Or how to figure out what my BMR is!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Welcome to MyFitnessPal.

foxderpsmil.gif
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Loosing isn't a word. It's either losing or loosening depending on the context
    I'm afraid it is, dear. I invite you to peruse the previous comments. The word "loose" can be used as a verb. God bless.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    have_you_ever_had_deja_vu_bumper_sticker-p128169295078912473z74sk_400.jpg
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    You want to 'lose' weight. Not 'loose' it. When I hear 'I want to loose fat' I imagine people turning their flabby stomachs loose upon an unsuspecting populace for a rampage of terror.

You might be losing weight if you're getting thinner.

I'm not the sort of person who normally corrects others' grammar, but this is driving me insane.

If you are confused about the difference please refer to http://www.ross.net/notes/loose.shtml

That is all! Have a great day!

:tongue:

Edited for controversially implying 'loosing' was not a word we use in everyday english...

GOD this happens ALL THE TIME

how can it NOT drive you mad??

all I see when I read it is that they're freeing their weight from enslavement
  • cassietn
    cassietn Posts: 48
    Options

Loosening is a word. I don't think loosing is.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I'm not the sort of person who normally corrects others' grammar, but this is driving me insane.

I'm not the sort of person who normally comments on annoying things but these types of "get it correct" threads are driving me insane.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

Loosening is a word. I don't think loosing is.
    I'm afraid it is, dear. I invite you to peruse the previous comments. The word "loose" can be used as a verb, and "loosing" is a conjugated form of the verb. God bless.