One little pet peeve...

Options

Replies

• tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And actually, "loosing" is a word.

Loosening is a word. I don't think loosing is.
    I'm afraid it is, dear. I invite you to peruse the previous comments. The word "loose" can be used as a verb, and "loosing" is a conjugated form of the verb. God bless.

Yes, loosing is a word. However, it is not correct to say "loosing weight" but rather "losing weight."
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Loosening is a word. I don't think loosing is.
    I'm afraid it is, dear. I invite you to peruse the previous comments. The word "loose" can be used as a verb, and "loosing" is a conjugated form of the verb. God bless.
    Yes, loosing is a word. However, it is not correct to say "loosing weight" but rather "losing weight."
    Depending on the context, it could be appropriate. In its verb form, it means "set free, release". If one is setting free excess weight from one's body, it would be appropriate to say that they are "loosing weight".
  • cassietn
    cassietn Posts: 48
    Options

Loosing isn't a word. It's either losing or loosening depending on the context

^^THIS. 3 years of Honors and advanced english have made me a grammar nazi. But yeah sure people, just google it, copy and paste it and assume it's right.
    I'm probalby going to get attacked with comments for saying this but whatever. I don't care.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

^^THIS. 3 years of Honors and advanced english have made me a grammar nazi. But yeah sure people, just google it, copy and paste it and assume it's right.
    I'm probalby going to get attacked with comments for saying this but whatever. I don't care.
    Oh dear. Are Merriam Webster and Oxford wrong?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/loose
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/loose
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Loosing is a word--it means "to lessen grasp". It is the verb form of loose, not lose (which verb form would be losing, as you referenced).
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't even say they're losing weight. It implies that it's wishing to be found :laugh:

Maybe you should let loose the weight...release it and set it free among the wild!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Probalby? :flowerforyou:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRJkovUJE9XGKsbx1zBCP4dLYKlmSJm5ZWBDQ02bED-Rt7zY_U
  • cassietn
    Options

These are for the definition of loose not loosing.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on this website are not fluent in English like native Brits or Americans or Aussies or Kiwis or Canadians etc.
    Have a little respect for the people who learn to speak English among other languages, and cut them some slack.

HAHAHA Canadians yes we are not fluent in English! LOL oh my goodness I haven't laughed so hard in a long time THANKS for that!

errrrmmm.... actually... I think Canadian's are in the "fluent" catagory....

BUT, have you ever seen those Herbal Magic people driving around with "LOOSE WEIGHT" plastered ALL OVER their car???? GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

and the worst thing is...

ONE'S MY UNCLE!!!!!!!!!!

It makes me want to cry :'(
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

Oh, sweetheart. I invite you to look at them, and see that "loose" can also be used as a verb. "Loosing" is the present participle of said verb. But, I'm sure you know that with your extensive studies.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Probalby? :flowerforyou:

dammit thomas. Beat me to it.
  • cassietn
    Options

Oh, sweetheart. I invite you to look at them, and see that "loose" can also be used as a verb. "Loosing" is the present participle of said verb. But, I'm sure you know that with your extensive studies.

Haha ok we'll just agree to disagree.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    No need to agree to disagree. It's fact, dear. I invite you to investigate, and augment your honors studies.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Was this seriously just posted again?

EXACTLY!!! What a waste of space.

Get OVER IT!

My Pet Peeve, the poster's who continue to stoke the fire because they cannot accept anyone else's mistakes.
    Lose,
    Loose,
    GET LOST!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE KEY BOARD!!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Was this seriously just posted again?

EXACTLY!!! What a waste of space.

Get OVER IT!

My Pet Peeve, the poster's who continue to stoke the fire because they cannot accept anyone else's mistakes.
    Lose,
    Loose,
    GET LOST!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE KEY BOARD!!!!

LOL, I just imagine little angry batman yelling this and stomping... and....

Okay, I'll go now..
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    No need to agree to disagree. It's fact, dear. I invite you to investigate, and augment your honors studies.

journalism degree and a more than a decade in newspapers, if we're throwing down credentials ... and loosing is a word.
    :)

(it is misused here all the time, yes. but it is still a word.)
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

journalism degree and a more than a decade in newspapers, if we're throwing down credentials ... and loosing is a word.

Thank you, dear.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    These sort of threads to come up all the time. At the same time though, obviously people still haven't learned the difference between loose and lose, so it's not unwarranted. It does drive me insane when I see people claim they want to "loose weight," and apparently we're not allowed to correct the grammar in people's posts. You want your belt to become loose, what you want to do to your weight is lose it. It's really not that complicated

If this is all it takes to drive you "insane," it must be a very short drive. It's a word, not a missile. Get over it. Your (not you're) life will be much less stressful!:flowerforyou:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Thank you, dear.

and I wasn't even an honors student!