Is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't ever want to check out before my time, and I mean mentally as well as physically. There are too many good things that can happen to you. Bad things will happen as well, but them's the breaks.

You got that right! Good or bad, it never lasts long, and payday is Friday.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

You got that right! Good or bad, it never lasts long, and payday is Friday.

And it is 5 o'clock somewhere. :drinker:
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I love life. It seems hard a lot, but honestly, think about all the good there is. I attempted suicide before, and now I am so glad that it was unsuccessful. I love life. Dont risk it.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Fact of the matter is, we're born we live we die. What's left is how you choose to spend that time, however short or long it may be. One can take the thought process of "well I'm going to die anyway, so what's the point?" but the point is, you don't know when you'll die. (unless you plan to kill yourself, in which case you have a better grasp than most) Basically it's a do what you want because you've got the chance sort of thing. You wanna do nothing? Go ahead. Wanna make changes and aim for the stars? Do it. The only thing stopping you besides death is yourself.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Life can be hard there is no doubting that and I am sure we have all had difficult times but in the end you get out what you put into it.

For me Life is totally worth it and much better than the alternative
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah it is! So much to do when you are alive. Travel the world, try new food, get fat, get skinny, you can't have sex when you're dead!

Of course you have to do life right and not get stuck in a routine you hate, going through the motions and regretting everything...

....but thats your choice :)
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    This pretty much sums up how I feel about life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X5EeMBH20

I've always have been a positive person and I'm very religious so that really helps me put things in perspective. I know life is worth it because last summer I watched my sister give birth to a beautiful baby girl and in that moment the world just seemed so perfect and I knew without a doubt in my mind that God existed. Even if you don't believe in God or an afterlife, you should be grateful for every moment and try to be happy and look for the good in the world.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been going through a lot, and I was speaking to an older friend about life. I told him that I was going to really work on improving my self-esteem and sanity, in order to live a happier life because this life is worth living.

He said that life isn't worth it. He isn't a suicidal guy or anything, and he's fairly successful. He told me life is hard and that we should stay alive because that's the only choice we have, and we can TRY to make it tolerable, but really, in the end it's not all that great.

So, do you guys think life is "worth it?" I don't plan on killing myself, but I want to know that I'm not going to have to go through life simply struggling and trying to get by. Ideally I would like to hear that life isn't something we tolerate, but instead something we can enjoy (without doing any damage to our bodies and minds).

Do you guys enjoy life?
    I enjoy and love life but it wasnt always like that,I wont go into details on here but life wasnt worth living for me not that long ago,I finally found what my purpose in life was and until I did life was not very exciting for me.everyone needs to find what their purpose is and a reason for going on ,I always asked ,is this all there is to life ,now I say bring it on and give me another day to do what I was meant to do here.Life can be as good as you want it to be ,I follow my dreams and invite change in my life ,we only have one chance at this ,this time,so enjoy every minute you have with the people you love.
  • countsenseless
    countsenseless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been going through a lot, and I was speaking to an older friend about life. I told him that I was going to really work on improving my self-esteem and sanity, in order to live a happier life because this life is worth living.

He said that life isn't worth it. He isn't a suicidal guy or anything, and he's fairly successful. He told me life is hard and that we should stay alive because that's the only choice we have, and we can TRY to make it tolerable, but really, in the end it's not all that great.

So, do you guys think life is "worth it?" I don't plan on killing myself, but I want to know that I'm not going to have to go through life simply struggling and trying to get by. Ideally I would like to hear that life isn't something we tolerate, but instead something we can enjoy (without doing any damage to our bodies and minds).

Do you guys enjoy life?

The strongest oak tree of the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun. It’s the one that stands in the open where it is compelled to struggle for its existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    In the words of Buffy: The hardest thing in this world is to live in it.

I'm an optimistic pessimist. I plan for the worst, hope for the best, and so far no day has ever been so horrible that I couldn't find some measure of joy or laughter in it.
  • countsenseless
    countsenseless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For me I have a personal conviction towards my life due to my love of Christ I have a purpose so I enjoy life.

For those who don't believe in God allow me to share a quote I learned.... "Life.... you get out of it, what you put into it".
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I guess it's all in the mentality...there are hard times, but do you dwell on them or do you look forward to the good times? Do you find the things that make you happy, or do you just sit there contemplating how worthless and hard life is? Sometimes you can lose track of those good things, but that's when you have to pick yourself up and just go get/do them anyway, and the happiness will follow. Sometimes you need a change of scenery, sometimes you need to go out and do something you've always wanted to do. Life is a wonderful, wonderful gift, the most extraordinary thing in the universe, how could it not be worth it?!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Most depressing post ever.

this...

life is what you make it... if you think its rubbish, like your friend does, then it will be.

as someone else says, *kitten* happens... my dad died and my mum was diagnosed with cancer about 6 weeks later... but on the flip side, in 6 weeks time i am marrying my soul mate, the most amazing man that i know... so i count myself lucky in life overall, and i plan on enjoying it as much as possible so that i have good times to remember when the bad stuff happens.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Personally to me life is what we make it. If you want to be happy and aren't maybe seek some medical to help you through this. I love my life. Do I always love my life, heck no, but I am lucky to be alive. I have two beautiful daughters, a great husband, a house that we own, vehicles to drive to work with, food to eat and clothes on my back. I think we all throw ourselves a pity party from time to time and it's not necessarily a bad thing. We all need to be pampered from time to time. I am sorry that you are feeling like life is not worth it. Good luck finding happiness. I know that I have found MFP to be an incredible place for me to feel good about myself.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You only get one go at it so maybe you should do what makes YOU happy and not everyone else.
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    life is what you make it, live each day to the full, because life is way too short and we are very lucky to be here to spend time with the people we love, your friend sounds like hes depressed.
  • Vicky_Is_In_Glee
    Options
    My life isnt easy, but I enjoy every second of it. And I fricking love it.
  • momwells
    momwells Posts: 2
    Options
    I am in pain 24/7 and I think life is worth it, so who ever doesn't think life isn't worth it, I would oh so love to trade bodies. Be happy with what you got and live, some people would love to be you.
  • RickyRaj
    RickyRaj Posts: 25
    Options
    You only get one shot at life so make it count and it is definitely mind over matter. Minimise/remove contact with negative people (they do not add value to your life and bring you down).

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Stay positive - we are here to help you :)