~Rainy day...any suggestions for cardio indoors?

Options
Hi!! :)

I just joined MFP yesterday, & I'm on day #2 of my weight loss program. I went walking for 1/2-hour yesterday outside and it felt great..I felt so much energy afterwards, but today is rainy (& this entire weekend is supposed to be the same way)...any suggestions on cardio or activities I can do in the house to still give me that 1/2-hour exercise like I got yesterday? (I haven't purchased any exercise DVD's yet so have none of those to follow along to)....any suggestions greatly appreciated!

By the way...feel free to friend me if you'd like....I need lots of motivation, & I can do the same ;)

Thank you!!! :)

Replies

• saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Check out the Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs on YouTube but look for anything that is over 10 mins long as anything shorter than that will jut be clips.

I have several of her DVDs now as I need something low impact because of chronic ankle problems and I LOVE them!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i'd say pump up the music and dance you're heart out... fun way of burning cals on a rainy day... :bigsmile:
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Invest in some waterproof clothing. Weather shouldn't stop you getting out. I have been known to run in a wetsuit...
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    get out there and walk. only water
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    youtube has some exercise videos or check http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness.asp for videos and inspiration. good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Invest in some waterproof clothing. Weather shouldn't stop you getting out. I have been known to run in a wetsuit...
    ^^^ This! People are waterproof, last time I checked!

As the great explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes once said, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing!"
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much....& your RIGHT, it is only water ;)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have this awesome stuff called skin that is waterproof!

All kidding aside- I watch the radar for an opening big enough to get outside and run (If I get caught and have to finish my run in the rain, oh well!). Variety is what will get you through your excercise goals. I like going out with only a distance in mind, running down new streets, new routes, new triails- Keeps it fresh and exciting! Some of my best adventures have involved a car ride in the rain to a great day!

This applies to walking or bike riding as well!! Good luck
  • RickyRaj
    RickyRaj Posts: 25
    Options
    To quote a famous sports brand, 'Just Do it!'
  • Sbehlmer
    Options
    To quote a famous sports brand, 'Just Do it!'

You are so right!! :)
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a great resoruch if your computer monitor is in viewible space to work out in. Zumbas are posted- and they are sooo fun to pass the time away.

My personal favorite:
    http://youtu.be/4NoS_2pNyfQ
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i love walking/running in the rain but end up not being able to see cos of my glasses :(
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This! People are waterproof, last time I checked!

As the great explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes once said, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing!"

The problem with going out in the rain is the potential of tripping/injury - and if walking in high traffic areas, there are the problems with car visibility. So one has to make a judgement call 'how much is to much rain'. For myself, I jog, and get nervous when the side walk is to wet- because I have the balance of a goose.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do this workout when I have 10 minutes: all you need is some space. I do this in my living room. I found this on pinterest, but the link is no longer active. You'll shake out about 100-150 calories.

1 minute march in place
    1 minute Jog in place
    1 minute jumping jacks
    1 minute long jumps
    1 minute jog lightly
    1 minute jumping jacks
    1 minute squat and kick (alternate legs)
    1 minute jog lightly
    1 minute long jumps
  • AshDrews
    AshDrews Posts: 10
    Options
    Check out Tara Stiles on youtube. She has some AWESOME yoga videos that are full length.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I bought a jump rope which I use in my basement, I also have a stationary bike. But I love going for power walks no matter what the weather.
  • jessieoh
    jessieoh Posts: 1
    Options
    I love walking, so I invested in a treadmill for rainy days, the best thing is you can watch movies while walking ;)
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You could re-arrange a room or two or spank out some serious spring cleaning :-))
  • Sbehlmer
    Options
    I sometimes do this workout when I have 10 minutes: all you need is some space. I do this in my living room. I found this on pinterest, but the link is no longer active. You'll shake out about 100-150 calories.

1 minute march in place
    1 minute Jog in place
    1 minute jumping jacks
    1 minute long jumps
    1 minute jog lightly
    1 minute jumping jacks
    1 minute squat and kick (alternate legs)
    1 minute jog lightly
    1 minute long jumps

I like this (thank you!!).....this would be an awesome way for a quick pick-me-up during work when you get those (moments) of feeling a bit tired...thanks again!
  • Sbehlmer
    Options
    You could re-arrange a room or two or spank out some serious spring cleaning :-))

I love that idea!!! :)