Ladies - what do you wear to the gym?

Options
I am day dreaming about the day I will be able to start going to the gym... and so I am browsing sports clothes. That made me think - what do you think is the best attire for an intense session at the gym, what do you normally wear? Are there and do's and don’ts one should be aware of?

Replies

• cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I typically wear compression shorts and a form fitting tank top. I like my gym clothes to be form fitting as to not catch them on any of the machines.

But typically anything goes
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used to wear one of my husbands shirts and a pair of workout pants. I don't advise jeans, but have seen people work out in them. Seems like it'd chafe? I don't like my body so I hide it under as much baggy attire as I can get away with. When I was running and at a comfortable weight and I was a bit more confident and comfortable with my body I wore the tight running pants and a fitted running shirt. I didn't go to the gym then

Now I am a mom and I don't have the time for the gym so I wear one of my husbands t-shirts and a pair of work out capri's and do 30DS in my living room before the little one wakes up.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Usually yoga pants or I actually wear black tights, the ones that go down to my calves and a tank top. Usually the tights on cardio days.
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    wear something that is easy to move in and comfortable for you! I wear lots of UA and lulu...
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    A pair of my boyfriend's old shorts and a bigger t-shirt. I don't give a damn what I look like, I'm just there to get all red and sweaty anyway :)
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Usually yoga pants or I actually wear black tights, the ones that go down to my calves and a tank top. Usually the tights on cardio days.

This. I also love the tanks and boyfriend shirts from Victoria's Secret to pair with my leggings/yoga pants. I look like a fat load but at least I am comfortable.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants or sweatpants and a reasonably tight-fitting shirt (it bothers me if a loose shirt is flapping around when I am exercising).
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I wear a short sleeved T and yoga pants.
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants (Victoria's Secret are my favorite) and tank tops or these long v-neck tees that I found at Target. They're fitted, super soft and comfy. They're thin, so I wear a tank under them too.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    yoga pants/ capris and a tshirt. usually a long sleeved shirt or sweatshirt too..........
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Shorty shorts and a tank top
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Shorts and a tank if it's hot. Pants (sweats/track pants/semi-fitted sport trousers) and a tee if it's cooler.

I can't afford to shell out for things, most 5Ks give you a free tee for showing up, so those get a lot of use before they go to the rag bag. You can pick up tanks pretty cheaply at old navy when they go on sale. For shorts/pants, I watch for sales, trawl the second hand shops and places that sell seconds like TJMaxx and Gabriel Brothers. Currently Champion's website has all bottoms on sale (sports bras too).
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to wear one of my husbands shirts and a pair of workout pants. I don't advise jeans, but have seen people work out in them. Seems like it'd chafe? I don't like my body so I hide it under as much baggy attire as I can get away with. When I was running and at a comfortable weight and I was a bit more confident and comfortable with my body I wore the tight running pants and a fitted running shirt. I didn't go to the gym then

Now I am a mom and I don't have the time for the gym so I wear one of my husbands t-shirts and a pair of work out capri's and do 30DS in my living room before the little one wakes up.

Same here, I can't go to the gym ATM due to working full time and having a little one at home. Hopefully when she starts full time kindergarten I can find some time for the gym! I have the 30d shred dvd but no opportunity to work out at home at all - my daughter won't let me when awake and would woke up if I did it when she is asleep :(

Thank you all for the repplies... I think I like the yoga pants and a tank top idea the most :)
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It depends on how I feel...

If I feel like I am having a skinny day ( or the scale says I lost weight) or I just think damn my body looks good... Shorts, sports bra fitted clothes - If I feel ok, nothing great, leggings, tank. If I feel fat, or it is TOM or I am upset loose shorts, and a tee shirt.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I wear mostly Yoga pants and recently I actually started wearing shorts! Go me! But I wear Yoga pants and a tank top or spaghetti strap shirt. Or I would do Yoga pants with a short sleeve shirt or shorts with a long sleeve shirt.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yoga capris and a big baggy men's Tshirt.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i used to wear a baggy tee and pants, because i didnt want anything snug due to all my chub. I have learned for me it is much more comfy to wear compression pants that arent riding up my but or rolling down like the looser pants did, and i also like a snug tank, as i do cardio kickboxing and such and even with pushups my tee shirt feels in the way.
  • darla100
    darla100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As much as I possibly can...lol!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same thing errrryday. Yoga pants + fitted yoga tank. Easy movement, and no extra fabric flapping around.

My favorite leggings:

http://tinyurl.com/6u9zku9

Fav top:

http://tinyurl.com/7tw8329

i swear...these make everyone's booty look like a million bucks.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    yoga pants and t-shirt.