Replies

• josol1971
    josol1971 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Op: that seems like way too many calories for a woman. What are your stats? Age, weight, height, or skip those intrusive questions, and say your bmr from mfp. How much do you workout? What types of exercise? Sedentary job?

Same to the next person. So many people on here have found success in eating more calories because they were severely under eating. If that isn't true in your case, eating more will only cause a gain or maintenance.

Depending on how active someone is, how much they weigh, etc - it is VERY possible that 2000 calories a day IS a deficit. I know for me 2000 calories is a deficit. I know it sounds like a lot, but it all depends on activity, how much they weigh, their personal metabolism, etc.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah 2k for me is a deficit as well, 500 cal per day deficit at sedentary, which I'm not.

Similar to you, I do not lose weight well at lower calorie levels, I assume because my metabolism slows to match and then punishes me for slight overages even if the average remains low. I'm not sure since I'm not a scientist, but I do know that I have been successful netting 1900 calories, and in the past more successful with higher amounts.

Consistent time and place weighing is important, though! Heheh. My morning to night weights vary HUGELY, and even consistent morning weighing could leave me frustrated if I didn't take care. My morning weight ins have varied 7 lbs this week, even though I'm just set to lose one. :) I'd definitely wait at least a month of consistently good eating.. and like others have said, yeah, prednisone is a bi-hatch. Nothing makes me hongrier.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm working through this right now.

1. Don't let people tell you that's too many calories for a "woman." That's ridiculous. But I do have to ask you how you came to the 2060 decision?

Upon purchasing a HRM, I found that BMR was 1400 calories (literally sitting on the couch not moving then going back to bed) and during a normal work day, 2300 calories a day NOT INCLUDING EXERCISE. So with exercise, I was burning around an additional 500-1000 calories. So, if I burned 1000 calories, I could eat anything under 3300 calories and have a deficit. I'm 5'2" and 122 lbs.

I went from eating below 1200 calories and being plateaued to upping to 1450 base calorie goal and eating most exercise calories. With exercise, I'm eating between 1800-2200 calories a day and having a deficit.

I started my higher calories the beginning of March. I haven't gained any weight. I am where I started. So, I haven't started losing weight yet, but it is apparent that I am able to eat this much and maintain. Once my metabolism has been reset, I will begin to lose on this calorie amount.

Good luck. Stick to it. You must fix your metabolism in order to sustain the lifestyle. And I suggest if you haven't, buy a HRM to determine your calorie burn specifically for your body.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I upped mine and gained 3 before I lost them again along with 8 more. Have patience...
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You need a deficit and that amount of calories is often maintenance for a teenage girl.

How is that relevant? The OP is a 27 year old woman.

OP doing your BMR you are eating just under it so your calories are spot on. Would you be able to open your diary so people can look at it?

I honestly think when starting a weight loss program it's often helpful to log everything no matter what you eat. It gives you a starting off point.

Thats exactly what I thought. Im 27 lol. I prefer to keep my diary closed sorry. I know it would probably help everyone give advice easier. well I have been on MFP since almost mid december. I am just now having to do a bunch of adjusting
    I meant that as we get older our BMR and TDEE changes, in other words, we need less calories.

Therefore a teenage girl needs more to burn and for a teenage girl, their maintenance would be around the 2000 calories per day mark.

Now the OP is older than a teenager, she would not need so many calories and even if she did, it would still put the OP at maintenance level.

In other words, OP you need to lower your daily calories intake.

I can not agree with you on any of that. It all goes by the weight of the person. if a teenager was bigger their maintenance would be higher as well.

A person adult or not of my size 291 pounds is not going to have the same caloric intake requirements for their calories. if age were the only thing that matters you would not be required to have your weight and height when calculating things like your TDEE. Even MFP will show you if you adjust your settings to match mine that 2060 a day is a deficit for me. with the goal of losing a pound a week.

also I have already mentioned that at a lower caloric intake I was not losing.
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    ok recently I upped my calorie intake. I am now eating about 2060 calories a day. am I supposed to gain weight at first?? It has been over two weeks. weighed myself on a random scale today and I was up two pounds! Its driving me insane. I did recently do a three week course of prednisone, but i thought if I maintained my calories while taking those I would be fine and wouldnt gain any. also I have been eating more clean than I have in a long time. I also upped my protein and I try to keep my carbs lower. Thoughts??
    Why did you up your calories?

I upped my calories after going months with no results on a lower calories. I did some research and many people had success when they upped their calories.
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    I am hoping to try to control it naturally. I cannot find a doctor that will give me the meds I need at the proper dose. they dont care if I still feel bad. but since I am barely in the "abnormal" range they assume a small dose will be all that I need. What kind of things happen if you have thyroid distress, if you dont mind me asking.
    Fatigue

Weakness

Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight

Coarse, dry hair

Dry, rough pale skin

Hair loss

Cold intolerance (you can't tolerate cold temperatures like those around you)

Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches

Constipation

Depression

Irritability

Memory loss

Abnormal menstrual cycles

Decreased libido

Left untreated, the symptoms of hypothyroidism will usually progress. Complications can result in severe life-threatening depression, heart failure, or coma.

bad thing about this is that these are the symptoms I presented with when I initially went to the doctor and when the medicine wasnt working they would not change my doses. three doctors total as of now. two primary care and two endos.
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    You say that, but it isn't working for her is it. So it cannot be spot on.

The OP has tried it for two whole weeks and the first weigh in was on a random scale at a different time. NOT the one she last weighed in on at the same time. We don't KNOW if it's working.

The 1500 calories wasn't working for her either. The OP needs to give it at least two more weeks and weigh in at the same time on the same scale to see how it's working. If it's not then my advice would be to go to 1800 calories and see how that works for her. (number in between the two she's been using) I was on those calories at a similar size and dropped weight like crazy.

OP what does MFP set as your calorie goal?

MFP had me at a 2060 to lose 1 pound a week. and that is with a 500 calorie deficit a day. when I first began I was on the 2 pounds a week plan.
  • Mission2Me
    Options

1. Don't let people tell you that's too many calories for a "woman." That's ridiculous. But I do have to ask you how you came to the 2060 decision?

Upon purchasing a HRM, I found that BMR was 1400 calories (literally sitting on the couch not moving then going back to bed) and during a normal work day, 2300 calories a day NOT INCLUDING EXERCISE. So with exercise, I was burning around an additional 500-1000 calories. So, if I burned 1000 calories, I could eat anything under 3300 calories and have a deficit. I'm 5'2" and 122 lbs.

I went from eating below 1200 calories and being plateaued to upping to 1450 base calorie goal and eating most exercise calories. With exercise, I'm eating between 1800-2200 calories a day and having a deficit.

I started my higher calories the beginning of March. I haven't gained any weight. I am where I started. So, I haven't started losing weight yet, but it is apparent that I am able to eat this much and maintain. Once my metabolism has been reset, I will begin to lose on this calorie amount.

Good luck. Stick to it. You must fix your metabolism in order to sustain the lifestyle. And I suggest if you haven't, buy a HRM to determine your calorie burn specifically for your body.

I keep hearing about HRM I need to get one. I guess I never knew losing weight would require so much equipment that isnt exercise related lol.
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    I upped mine and gained 3 before I lost them again along with 8 more. Have patience...

I hope to get to my regular scale this week. I actually cant wait. I did a water fast for 24 hours. hope that doesnt throw me off. too badly.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Every time I upped my calories I gained for two weeks, then started losing again.

Every time I got really scared during those two weeks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Don't let people tell you that's too many calories for a "woman." That's ridiculous

Not really, the BMR calculators ask you gender and the equations have elements in like subtracting 500 calories a day for women.

Of course the 5'-10" woman at 300 lbs will break the assumptions in the calculator anyway, but as women are generally less tall and generally under 200 lbs it is not unreasonable to assume a lower calorie intake for a woman. Many national health authorities do it.
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you weren't losing at 1500 calories because it was too little and now that you've upped your calories your body is just adjusting. It sucks going no where for awhile, but you'll start to lose. Hang in there and good luck.:drinker:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I keep hearing about HRM I need to get one. I guess I never knew losing weight would require so much equipment that isnt exercise related lol.

Oh don't I know! I have spent so much money since last summer! I finally invested in a HRM since so many swear by them. I was surprised to see I was sooo undereating....by 100s of calories. Good luck. I'd buy one :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Impossible to properly help you with a closed diary. All people can do is guess. There is a group Eat More To Weigh Less, check it out. There is much valuable info there.
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    Don't let people tell you that's too many calories for a "woman." That's ridiculous

Not really, the BMR calculators ask you gender and the equations have elements in like subtracting 500 calories a day for women.

Of course the 5'-10" woman at 300 lbs will break the assumptions in the calculator anyway, but as women are generally less tall and generally under 200 lbs it is not unreasonable to assume a lower calorie intake for a woman. Many national health authorities do it.

I think you are misunderstanding. they are not saying being a woman doesnt matter, they are saying that just because I am a woman doesnt mean that 2000 calories is too much for me. gender and several other things are included in deciding how many calories a person eats. but it is possible for a woman to need more calories than a man.
  • Mission2Me
    Options

Oh don't I know! I have spent so much money since last summer! I finally invested in a HRM since so many swear by them. I was surprised to see I was sooo undereating....by 100s of calories. Good luck. I'd buy one :)

lol looks like I need to start a losing weight fund rofl.
  • NetteH13
    NetteH13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is definitely an enemy when coming to weight gain. So don't feel to bad when you see a gain even though you're doing your part. Also, DON'T use random scales. I weight in every Sunday morning around the same time of morning, with no clothes on. I do it in the morning after I use the bathroom, before I eat anything. This gives me a more accurate weight since I'm weighing without the added weight of food, water and clothes.
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thanks for the link!

and I normally weigh on the scale at the doctors office. It is the analog scale with the parts you move by hand. I like that kind better. the one I weighed on today was an digital one In the hall of the hospital. I hope the scale is off. I feel like my pants are more loose than before.

Have you measured yourself...sometime, like with me, I wasn't loosing weight, but I lost inches. So now once a week I measure myself. I have gone from an 18 to a size 14 and I upped my calories as well, I gained, but now starting to lose...just hang in there..I freaked, but trusted what others said and it IS working.