Are your company benefits tied to your health?

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
Just curious how many of you work for a company that ties your own health to your benefits and/or rewards a healthy lifestyle.

Last year my company adopted a plan (for lack of a better word) that allows for lower cost health coverage if you are leading or working on leading a healthy lifestyle. This was actually announced in Sept 2010 and the main reason I got my *kitten* together and got healthy.

In order to qualify for the 'choice' plans thru our insurance provider (we have Priority Health or BC/BS) employees have to have a physical each year by March 31st, have a BMI of 30 or lower (or going in that direction), not be a smoker, and fill out an online health risk assessment. If all of those items pass, then our out of pocket expenses will be lower than if we didn't pass (our actual paycheck deduction does not change, but the insurance company would bill more/less for anything they don't cover).

I have heard rumblings that for 2013, there will be a hard cut off for the BMI, so you must be at 30 or lower - period - not just trying to get to it (not a concern for me anymore, thank goodness, since my BMI went from 37 to 23).

To promote a healthy lifestyle, we also have a program called 'Achieve' where you collect points (all on the honor system) for tracking food, exercising, attending weight meetings (like weight watchers), getting your physical, completing the risk survey, and participating in events (like 5K's and such). You can turn in the points and get fitness related prizes....I just got a Gold's Gym weight bench :smile:

Anyone else have any programs like this where you work? Are your benefits tied to your health and/or do they have any sort of rewards program?

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    We get money (up to $50) every paycheck based on health indicators such as bmi/blood pressure/cholesterol/tobaco usage measured once per year (with optional chances to re-measure a couple times a year)
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't, but it really should. My field of work is notorious for it's staff being overweight and having health issues. Since part of our job is assisting others in making healthy life choices, it's a terrible hypocracy.

We have to pass a physical to get the job, but they clearly aren't very strict about it.

They talked about supplying discounted gym memberships, but for whatever beurocratic reason, that didn't happen. They were going to have Quit-Smoking workshops, too, but that didn't happen either.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My old job made it a requirement to have a IN HOUSE assessment done! they would have a company come in and take your weight, waist measurements , BP and a blood sample IN FRONT OF EVERYONE... If you don’t meet their standards you would have to pay more $ even if you jumped through all their hoops..................... My new job does not require you to be healthy but they do offer programs for those that need it for health issues
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what this means? Is it an American thing, because you don't have healthcare like the UK?
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My husband's job gives us discounts on what they take out of his paycheck every month for insurance if he gets free health screenings done yearly and talks to a free health coach monthly. I think it saves us around $40 a month.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    I am not sure what this means? Is it an American thing, because you don't have healthcare like the UK?

We do not have universal health care..... we or our employers (or both) have to pay for it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Are my benefits tied to my health? Absolutely. Both my husband and I are self employed and have to pay for our own health insurance. The healthier we are the less we need to use the insurance.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many of you work for a company that ties your own health to your benefits and/or rewards a healthy lifestyle.

Last year my company adopted a plan (for lack of a better word) that allows for lower cost health coverage if you are leading or working on leading a healthy lifestyle. This was actually announced in Sept 2010 and the main reason I got my *kitten* together and got healthy.

In order to qualify for the 'choice' plans thru our insurance provider (we have Priority Health or BC/BS) employees have to have a physical each year by March 31st, have a BMI of 30 or lower (or going in that direction), not be a smoker, and fill out an online health risk assessment. If all of those items pass, then our out of pocket expenses will be lower than if we didn't pass (our actual paycheck deduction does not change, but the insurance company would bill more/less for anything they don't cover).

I have heard rumblings that for 2013, there will be a hard cut off for the BMI, so you must be at 30 or lower - period - not just trying to get to it (not a concern for me anymore, thank goodness, since my BMI went from 37 to 23).

To promote a healthy lifestyle, we also have a program called 'Achieve' where you collect points (all on the honor system) for tracking food, exercising, attending weight meetings (like weight watchers), getting your physical, completing the risk survey, and participating in events (like 5K's and such). You can turn in the points and get fitness related prizes....I just got a Gold's Gym weight bench :smile:

Anyone else have any programs like this where you work? Are your benefits tied to your health and/or do they have any sort of rewards program?

We only have a smoker and non smoker rate. This^^ sounds fantastic though. Talk about incentive.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My company has almost the exact same thing as yours. We have BCBS and have to earn wellness points each year and we do an online health risk assessment as well as a biometric screening, a company comes in and takes your blood pressure, draws blood, checks your cholestrol, weight and all that. You don't have to be at a certain weight or level you just have to make an effort right now.

Last year I got my screening the guy was kindly enough to tell me I was overweight when I kindly let him know that I was pregnant! LOL...although I was still overweight. Regardless I'm still working on it and unfortunatly I think I may weigh the same as I did last year...ugh but I'm going in the right direction :)

edited to add: I wish our company gave out nice prizes on top of the lower "committed" rate. That weight bench sounds pretty fantastic!
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Are my benefits tied to my health? Absolutely. Both my husband and I are self employed and have to pay for our own health insurance. The healthier we are the less we need to use the insurance.

That would DEFINITELY be an incentive! :glasses:
  • cdbillups
    cdbillups Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We have a health screening day every year in January where all employees weigh in and have blood drawn. They calculate your BMI based on height and weight and if your BMI is 30 or below our employer donates a set amount of money towards your HSA (health savings account.) There are other things that could also get money donated towards your account; if you get a physical every year, if you don't use tobacco products, if you get your mammogram (for women over 40), if you get your PSA test (for men over 50) and if you fill out your wellness profile online. Plus, every year in January they do an initial deposit to your HSA just for being an employee.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    For my old health insurance, they had great programs offering discounts on health insurance if you completed some of the wellness online courses and lost weight.

They also had free smoking cessation programs you could do.

They did, however, charge more for people who were overweight or obese on the premiums, so this was good incentive to get that under control.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Not directly... but since 2008 our company has been doing a health and wellness incentive where we can rack up points for things such as getting our yearlies and exercising and we get money.... and because of this program, while many other companies in our area were raising the cost of health insurance by 6-10% (I think... it may have been higher)... we only needed to raise it half of what everyone else did, because of the cost of savings (on the order of $1.5 million a year or more... and that's AFTER paying out incentive rewards) to the company that this wellness program provides them.... it's just good business sense to encourage and reward employees to adopt a healthy lifestyle...

ETA: the only thing that's on the honor system here is the exercise points... everything else must have documentation.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm on my mom's insurance still, so I really don't know... She works at a hospital so you would think they would push something like that but as far as I know they don't.

I think that's a really good idea though, especially because there are so many health risks associated with obesity and smoking!
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am not penalized but rewarded when participating in health lifestyle choices such as preventative care, health seminars and health assesments
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No, but I really wish that they would. I'm not taxing on our insurance, haven't been to the doctor for anything except a physical in 2 years. I always feel like I pay high fees so that someone else can use my benefits.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I used to work for a healthcare company and our deductible was $900, but if you went to the 'optional' company physical (blood work and getting weighed) and met their standards of health you got $500 off your deductible price.

I actually thought it was kind of cool and thought of it as a free doctors check up! Only it took just 10 minutes and was on site at work AND they gave us free healthy breakfast foods and coffee afterwards ;)
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My company started doing a very similar thing about 3 years ago. Year 1, you would get the incentive if your fasting glucose level was correctly scored. Year 2 was to be tobacco negative. This year (for 2013 plan year) you have to either be at a healthy weight or show marked weight loss headed in that direction from last year. It is one of the reasons I decided to get off my tukus, but not the most important one!

I love your profile picture, GO PACK GO!
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We don't have anything tied to insurance or anything like that. But our company provides us with a gym to workout at whenever we have time during the day. We can also pay for a trainer to come in if we'd like. Our company also has healthy food brought in everyday for lunch.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Ours is identical to yours, aside from the BMI. Working in the medical field, it's common knowledge that BMI is essentially irrelevant, so we use body fat percentage instead. We also have free programs through our company to aide in smoking cessation, weight loss, heart health, etc. Free Weight Watchers program, and a fitness center located in all of our clinics that is free for us and our families to use.