The truth about margarine.. uck.

Options
(I hope this was the right forum)

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?
Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!
Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..
Very High in Trans fatty acids.
Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny micro-organisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE! And if there is Margarine in your refrigerator, throw it in the trash right now.

Replies

• taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thats why i dont use butter or margerine.
    avocado is my butter :) yummier too
  • sarahdee2007
    Options

Ah. Avocados. Heaven.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I mix 1 lb butter with 1 cup olive oil & it spreads just like margarine. Tasty too! :D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Try looking this up on Snopes, because most of it is crap.

But so is margarine. I <3 butter.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Contrary to the claim, margarine was not invented as a turkey fattener. It was formulated in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège Mouriès of France in response to Napoleon III's offering of a prize to whoever could succeed at producing a viable low-cost substitute for butter. Mège Mouriès' concoction, which he dubbed oleomargarine, was achieved by adding salty water, milk, and margaric acid to softened beef fat. By the turn of the century, the beef fat in the original recipe had been replaced by vegetable oils.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.
    Did your mom email you this? My mom emails me **** like this all the time.

Did you know that hydrogen peroxide is one atom away from water? Oh no!

I invite you to do your homework when someone emails you random fear-mongering propaganda.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Can't make a good fry up in avacado! ;)

Butter for the win, though, if only for flavor.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Contrary to the claim, margarine was not invented as a turkey fattener. It was formulated in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège Mouriès of France in response to Napoleon III's offering of a prize to whoever could succeed at producing a viable low-cost substitute for butter. Mège Mouriès' concoction, which he dubbed oleomargarine, was achieved by adding salty water, milk, and margaric acid to softened beef fat. By the turn of the century, the beef fat in the original recipe had been replaced by vegetable oils.

It would be much healthier with beef fat as the ingredient.

Nothing compares to real butter however. Get away from the invented crap and eat real stuff and you'll be more healthy IMO.
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes.. most of this is misleading at least and factually incorrect at most. It would be nice if people would make sure they are using reliable, peer-reviewed sources when they are making a statement like this to a large audience.

Besides, the whole "You are obligated to pass this on" just reminds me of those "forward this email or Dwight Eisenhower will come to your house in the middle of the night and break your dishes" things. The truth speaks for itself and doesn't sell timeshares.

However, butter DOES taste better and when used in moderation is a better choice.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    (I hope this was the right forum)

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
    It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?
    Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
    Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!
    Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..
    Very High in Trans fatty acids.
    Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...
    Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny micro-organisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:

When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE! And if there is Margarine in your refrigerator, throw it in the trash right now.

Do you have links to verify this?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Besides, the whole "You are obligated to pass this on" just reminds me of those "forward this email or Dwight Eisenhower will come to your house in the middle of the night and break your dishes" things.
    That one is true though. I found out the hard way. :(
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options
    Yes.. most of this is misleading at least and factually incorrect at most. It would be nice if people would make sure they are using reliable, peer-reviewed sources when they are making a statement like this to a large audience.

Besides, the whole "You are obligated to pass this on" just reminds me of those "forward this email or Dwight Eisenhower will come to your house in the middle of the night and break your dishes" things. The truth speaks for itself and doesn't sell timeshares.

However, butter DOES taste better and when used in moderation is a better choice.

Dwight Eisenhower did come to my house and break my dishes!! Now I know why.
  • delipidation
    delipidation Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My parents' generation was big on butter during the post-war years, and both of them have the heart attacks to show for it. I've never cared much for butter myself -- it leaves a rancid aftertaste that it seems like I should be able to wash out of my mustache, but never can. I prefer Smart Balance: good flavor, no rancid aftertaste, no trans fats, nothing hydrogenated, high in Omega-3.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Taste-wise:

BUTTER > MARGARINE

That's all I need to know!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Options
    My parents' generation was big on butter during the post-war years, and both of them have the heart attacks to show for it. I've never cared much for butter myself -- it leaves a rancid aftertaste that it seems like I should be able to wash out of my mustache, but never can. I prefer Smart Balance: good flavor, no rancid aftertaste, no trans fats, nothing hydrogenated, high in Omega-3.

My parents generation was also big on butter, yet they have not had heart attacks. Though, they have both been involved in car crashes. It is therefore my conclusion that butter causes car crashes, not heart attacks.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    This all is making me want a grilled cheese sandwich really bad.

GrilledCheeseBurgerMelt.jpg
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    This all is making me want a grilled cheese sandwich really bad.

OH. MY. GAHHHHHHHHHHH.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Is vegetable oil spread margarine?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Butter has nothing to do with heart attacks. Butter has been consumed for a few thousand years. It did not suddenly become popular in the post war years. In fact, that's when margarine became popular. Butter contains stearic acid, which is a heart healthy fatty acid that actually protects against heart disease.

Oh, and...

139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg
    (Correlation does not equal causation.)
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    I mix 1 lb butter with 1 cup olive oil & it spreads just like margarine. Tasty too! :D

Great Idea!
    Butter is so good!!!