The truth about margarine.. uck.

Options

Replies

• Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.
    Did your mom email you this? My mom emails me **** like this all the time.

Did you know that hydrogen peroxide is one atom away from water? Oh no!

I invite you to do your homework when someone emails you random fear-mongering propaganda.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

LOL!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 lb butter with 1 cup olive oil & it spreads just like margarine. Tasty too! :D
    lolbutter.jpg
    Already been done. :laugh:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

(Correlation does not equal causation.)

.......... or ...... DOES IT?

Pirates may hate the cold for all we know. It causes their timbers to shiver?
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    So is vegetable spread like margarine? or is it?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 lb butter with 1 cup olive oil & it spreads just like margarine. Tasty too! :D

Interesting. I always have butter but my BF goes for substitutes coz they're spreadable. Do you melt the butter and whisk it all together or what?
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've never jumped onto the butter substitute train. The idea of it being a man made butter just didn't sound right, and after researching it years ago, I was right (along with many others).

I love butter :) Everything in moderation right?

Why substitute when you can have the real thing!
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The same can be said for all the sweeteners, flavorings, etc. Just stay under your calorie goals and use real butter, cream, peanut butter, sugar, honey, etc. ;) Much rather have a couple extra calories than all that artificial bs myself ;)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    just a note, I have seen this question asked before, and again, from what I have read and what Dr Oz, who used to be somewhat helpful, I went to various websites, as well as reading health journals

again, be nice and dont hit me.............I bruise easily ,but according to the AHA, American Heart Association

Ill cite their input

http://www.healthcastle.com/butter-or-margarine.shtml

American Heart Association website..........

Butter or Margarine: the Verdict?
    BOTH saturated fats and trans fats can raise total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Therefore, you should try to minimize the intake of BOTH saturated fats and trans fats.

When we add up the numbers, it's clear that butter contains more saturated fats and trans fat. And remember that butter also contains dietary cholesterol.

Choose soft margarine: The American Heart Association recommends the use of margarine as a substitute for butter. We are excited that many brands of soft margarine do not contain trans fat anymore. Check the Nutrition Facts label and choose one with zero trans fat and no more than 2 g of saturated fats per tbsp and with liquid vegetable oil as the first ingredient.

Here are some brands of soft margarine and cholesterol-lowering spread that meet the criteria:

Becel
    Benecol
    Blue Bonnet Soft Spread
    Canola Harvest Non-Hydrogenated
    I Can't Believe it's not Butter
    Promise
    Smart Balance Light
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    One molecule away from plastic. Flies wont even eat it. I havent touched the stuff since Chemistry class in college. Nasty!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I love butter, too but I just don't behave with it! lol I love the locally made butter that I can get at the deli or the bakery. Soooooo good. But.....butter/other dairy stuff are my food weakness. :sad:

So, I now use Land O Lakes light spreadable butter. Only 50 cal per Tbsp and it's the best tasting low calorie butter/spread/margarine I have found. :drinker:

As for the story, These propo (shout out to HG!) stories like this just help spread falsehoods. My mom sends or tells me stuff like this all the time. Drives me nuts. :grumble: Most margarines these days have cut out the trans fats anyway.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I really hate seeing fear-mongering garbage like this. Thank God for Snopes!!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Probably a silly question, but I prefer butter as well, but what about in the summer? Can't keep it out because it melts, and if you keep it in the fridge it's rock hard. What to do?
  • MerBear30
    MerBear30 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My parents' generation was big on butter during the post-war years, and both of them have the heart attacks to show for it. I've never cared much for butter myself -- it leaves a rancid aftertaste that it seems like I should be able to wash out of my mustache, but never can. I prefer Smart Balance: good flavor, no rancid aftertaste, no trans fats, nothing hydrogenated, high in Omega-3.
    Butter has nothing to do with heart attacks. Butter has been consumed for a few thousand years. It did not suddenly become popular in the post war years. In fact, that's when margarine became popular. Butter contains stearic acid, which is a heart healthy fatty acid that actually protects against heart disease.

Oh, and...

139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

Well said. LOL
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    29947.jpg?v=1

Explain this one.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I gave up margarine when I found it it was one molecule from plastic and that was long before I started this journey.
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options

.......... or ...... DOES IT?

Pirates may hate the cold for all we know. It causes their timbers to shiver?
    LO FREAKIN L
    this is awesome, i am tearing up at this, so funny!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Probably a silly question, but I prefer butter as well, but what about in the summer? Can't keep it out because it melts, and if you keep it in the fridge it's rock hard. What to do?

Research "French butter dish" also known as butter crocks or butter bells. They are a little crock that store butter and water (separately, of course) to keep it at the right temperature.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    lolbutter.jpg
    Already been done. :laugh:

a) I live in Canada, we don't have LOL ;)
    b) Mine's probably cheaper
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options

Interesting. I always have butter but my BF goes for substitutes coz they're spreadable. Do you melt the butter and whisk it all together or what?

I just soften it at room temperature, add the olive oil, use a hand mixer to blend it, then keep about 1/4 cup at room temperature & the rest in the fridge, refilling my butter dish as needed. I learned the hard way that melting it makes it runny - even after putting it in the fridge, when it warms up to room temp again, it gets runny again
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    One molecule away from plastic. Flies wont even eat it. I havent touched the stuff since Chemistry class in college. Nasty!
    Technically, all fats are "one molecule away" from being plastic. That's why plastic containers are so difficult to wash when they've been holding greasy, fatty stuff like meat or oils.