What's some advice you would tell your 16 year old self ?

Options

Replies

• cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Stay single until you meet the exact right person. Don't settle down just to be settled down.

Sometimes we repeat this mistake... Its ok to be single!
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Dear Dumbass,

Rebel. Don't feel obligated to be hyper-good because your parents' marriage is falling apart and your sister's self-absorbed. You're not your parents' therapist, you don't have to keep it all together, and it's not your responsibility to smooth everything over...it's your parents' job. Let them worry about you instead of placing it all on your shoulders. Make waves...they can be fun to ride. :wink:

Go to college in PA. Get away from Jersey for a while. Pursue that degree in Biology instead of English. Become an animal behaviorist. Follow your dreams and don't let your parents sway you otherwise. William Paterson is a craphole.

Don't rely on boys' opinions of you to justify your self-worth. One will rape you and punch your car. Another will hurt you constantly. You're worth more than that. Move slower in relationships.

Your dad's an *kitten* and you'll never understand what's wrong with him. Just accept it and move on.

Be more understanding of your sister. She's in pain. She needs you more than she'll admit and you'll be her lifeline when the men in her life turn on her.

Stop being shy!

Embrace your nerdiness. It's okay to be a chick gamer. Just don't let WoW replace your social life because you're too scared of rejection.

You'll meet an amazing man who - despite his faults - loves you more truly than you thought possible and will not complain one bit when you need a break from work. Hold out for him. He's worth it.

Love you,
    Jess
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Thomas is a douche. You're better off without him.
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Pay attention in school. You'll regret it!
  • wd773
    wd773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    16 year old me,

cherish every second with mom.
    concentrate on your education.
    budget your money.
    stop eating and exercise
    take care of your body
    be generous
    read your bible and pray consistently!!!
  • cristileigh
    Options
    When your 19 your gonna meet this guy on cpixel, your first instinct is to not message him back... listen to your instinct!

Don't you HATE when you knew... but didn't listen to your inner voice? Those are the worst mistakes. I'm so sorry it took you 7 years.. Mine was my second marriage. I was older 40+ .. so I was a little stronger and have been around the block a few times... But it still took me two years to escape!
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old self,

Don't sit on the couch for the entire summer after you graduate eating and waiting for your boyfriend. In a few years he'll leave you anyway and you will just continue to eat your feelings. Don't spend the 7 years after that waiting for him to come back, either - he won't. You'll find someone great to marry, someone who gets you and loves you unconditionally. Someone who will be there for you when you finally realize you're 110 pounds overweight, and who will encourage you every step of the way. Love yourself first, then love others. You're no good to anyone if you're not around.

Kisses,

Dawn
  • AyaEtman
    AyaEtman Posts: 10
    Options
    I am 16 :laugh:
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Before getting married and having kids, take time to travel the world, go to the places you want to go, see the places you want to see. As much as you will adore your husband and kids, it will be much harder after to travel.

Don't sweat the mistakes you make or regret, they are going to lead you to a wonderful place with a great family.

Don't hang on to hate even against the person who wronged you most, it only hurts you in the end.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    -Don't rush growing up. You'll miss being carefree.
    -Spend more time with your dad, he won't be around much longer and you'll miss him terribly.
    -Enjoy more time with your friends, you'll all go your separate ways pretty soon.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old self:

Don't scoff at me when I say, love yourself before you ask love of others. Only after you accomplish this, will you find happiness. And, self acceptance in the process. :bigsmile:
  • cristileigh
    Options

Then read what people are telling themselves... and don't make the same mistakes. You only get one chance to get it right.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    there are so many things I need to tell you, things that will make your life better or at least not as painful but knowing the stubborn sh1t you are it won’t make a bit of difference...

In hindsight tho, there are things I would love to change about my past, but if it meant not having my kids with the loser ex husband or the memory filled years with the ex, the friends I have now, the job, the life... I would rather do it all again than to give up my life now.. It is far from perfect but its mine...
  • kali2785
    kali2785 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Then read what people are telling themselves... and don't make the same mistakes. You only get one chance to get it right.

^^^ Agreed.. and I will add in my own sometime soon.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Dear 16yr old Me

Stay away from that boy.
    Accept yourself...stop worrying about what others think
    Stay away from the man you're going to meet at 18
    Be kind to yourself.
    Your're not fat for pity's sake..you weigh 105lbs...so what if someone teases you about your *kitten*....in a few years you're going to find that plenty of guys like butts.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 y/o self,

Well it did happen to you didn't it? you'll spend most of this year pregnant by that *kitten* who said he loved you. He'll be gone in 3..2...1. But jsut know that no influence is better than a bad one! You're going to have a tough year ahead but don't give up, finish school, and know that the couch surfing will end soon.

Also, your mom is going through some **** of her own and she split not because of you, I know it doesn't hurt any less, but still wasnt your fault. Also dont get mad later at Dad he was lonely and he loved her so he took her back. You'll spend too much time being angry at these two and it will eat you up.

And FFS eat something! 5' 6" and 110 lbs is NOT a good look for you! And no you were not fat!

Sunscreen! your a red head for crying out loud...you will not tan!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    -its ok to say no to your older sis..yes..she is an *kitten*..and will be the same in 2012 that she was in 1985
    -its ok to let "hormones" take you whereever with "K"
    -you are pretty..dont worry that you dont fit it...most didnt in socal in 1985
    -its ok...go ahead and take Harvards offer..it doesnt make you a bad indian daughter for moving out before you are married...
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Follow your dream, move away to go to this college and take your VET degree. Mom will live without you, she's just using you. and doesn't care about your future plan. She just doesn't want you to live, otherwise she won't have anybody to clean the house, do the shopping, do the meals, etc.

Tell that first big love of yours that always remained a secret how much you love him; you'll learned many years later that that's exactly what he was waiting for.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    bump
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Birth control is not 100% and getting pregnant at 16 is not ideal.